Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My first girl was supposed to be Charlotte/Charlie

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #22
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

I thought I read the exact opposite..
Me too. I have always read that Republicans tend to be traditionalists while Democrats seek more unique names.

I recognize nearly every name on that list. I have noticed a lot of the same names over and over in my circles the past few years - lots of Jacks 5-8 years ago, then a wave of Coopers, then the wave of -aden names (Aiden, Jayden, Brayden, Cayden, Hayden, Kaiden, Zayden - yes, I know people with boys that have every one of those names, many repeating).

I'm thrilled that DS's name and our ideas for this one are not on the list. We like fairly traditional names but don't want our kid to have 10 friends w/the same name. Our names tend to fall in the 30s re:SSN rank and I'm good with that.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
One other issue I have noticed is that boys' names are becoming increasingly tough as they are constantly becoming girls' names. Yes, I realize a name doesn't have to be one or the other but I don't feel comfortable with naming my son a name that 3 other kids (all girls) would have in his class someday. Names that come to mind are Morgan, Peyton, Bailey, Jordan, etc. these are all great names but they have gone to the girls in my region, which makes me a bit sad.

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Glad to not be on the list!! Thus far in our circles DD and DS have unique names and I hope they stay that way. DS's name is in the top 100 on the SS lists though (DD's is not). As a Jennifer from the late 70's I hope their names stay somewhat unique!!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #25
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
My dds name isn't on there. My ds name is and both names we picked for baby #3 are on there PLUS backups...sigh..
Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #26
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fastest Rising baby names

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Me too. I have always read that Republicans tend to be traditionalists while Democrats seek more unique names.

I recognize nearly every name on that list. I have noticed a lot of the same names over and over in my circles the past few years - lots of Jacks 5-8 years ago, then a wave of Coopers, then the wave of -aden names (Aiden, Jayden, Brayden, Cayden, Hayden, Kaiden, Zayden - yes, I know people with boys that have every one of those names, many repeating).

I'm thrilled that DS's name and our ideas for this one are not on the list. We like fairly traditional names but don't want our kid to have 10 friends w/the same name. Our names tend to fall in the 30s re:SSN rank and I'm good with that.

My parents were flower children when I was born (Dad his still a hippy) and I was named Jennifer (was going to be Emily but grandma hated that name... so I named my first DD that :P ). DH and I are both conservatives and we are going to name this baby if she is a girl, Astrid.

My mom wants me to put "Harlow" in the girl's name but I refuse because my grandfather (late, died in 2008) had Harlow as a first name. Honestly it is because of him that we are going to name our daughter Astrid. He was Norwegian and VERY proud of it. So it fits well with who we want to remember. For a boy we are going to do something with Phillip as this was great grandpa's first name, grandpa's middle name (mine not baby's). Again, in remembrance of him.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM&W View Post
My dds name isn't on there. My ds name is and both names we picked for baby #3 are on there PLUS backups...sigh..

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #28
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I was in a class with 4 sara/h s! Ugh. But now I don't have any close friends named sara...kind of weird. Our names didn't make the list
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely

Nope, the PP was right

None of the girls names appeal to me on the list, because true to stereotype, I prefer less trendy names. It does my heart proud though, to see more unconventional boys names creeping up the chart!
NPR Thank you! I couldn't remember if it was NPR or the NYT. Guess which political affiliation I am/types of names my kids have. Lol

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
Just to make you feel better... There are so many names used now, that even a top 10 name isn't likely to be super common anymore. Not like the days of Mikes and Sarah's and Jennifer's. As a teacher, Jacob is the only name we usually see more than one of in any class. There were 8 Josh's in my school of 250 my freshman year of hs. I think those days are mostly over.
I saw that the ssa.gov site recently added a feature where you could see each name and the percentage of births for each name. And it's true, even the most popular names are a much smaller percentage of births than the most popular names in years past.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote