Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age is it not appropriate?

Ds has been pretty much oblivious of modesty or my body u til recently. We showered together u til he was almost 4 with no questions or comments. That's just when it felt like he was big enou for me to be uncomfortable. Hes 4 1/2 now. The first questions ive gotten from him where last month he asked what's in my shirt and last week he noticed I don't have a penis when I forgot u der wear after my shower and came out with only my shirt on. So now is when we will have more modesty.

Advertisement

misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Well, I grew up in a family were we took saunas, which were often a group bathing activity. The men would either have swim trunks on, or go before the women and children, but no one was really afraid of nudity.

So that's the way I grew up and I don't see a problem with nudity in principle. But that said, my ds is 5.5 and Im starting to feel a little uncomfortable with him seeing me naked. I havent showered with him a long time and not sure if Id feel comfortable with it at this point. Can't exactly pinpoint the reasoning though.

et answer question. DS noticed gender differences forever ago, and we are open in talking about differences, and how our bodies function (birth, nursing, etc), and that never made anyone feel uncomfortable. IDK, it seems like if Im changing and ds opens the door he kinda looks at me weird and stares. I don't know if that means he feels uncomfortable but it makes me feel uncomfortable about him seeing me naked.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 12-03-2012 at 09:33 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the right age to stop is when the child is uncomfortable with it. DS is 3 and sees both DH and I naked and it doesn't phase him at all.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bump to add a question
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
pacanova
Registered Users
seller

DD is 3 and still sees me naked (I'm bfing and we'll occasionally shower together if necessitated). She hasn't seen DH nude in a long time. Not since she started asking, "what's that?"
pacanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My 3 year old sees us both naked still. Not that we flaunt it, just happens. My guess would be 7 or so. Probably when the child starts expressing the want for privacy
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
pacanova
Registered Users
seller

Can't really say why it makes me uncomfortable - societal conventions more than likely. I grew up in a more reserved home - never even had "the talk" with either parent. I personally love to be naked but I'm more careful w/DD around.
pacanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Opposite gender, by 3 or 4 it starts to feel pretty darned weird. RIght now, it still doesn't feel odd with my 5 year old DD. I mean, we rarely need to (the only reason we did last time was because she chewed gum and her hair at the same time (grr....) so it was oil, wash, oil wash, and she just couldnt do it on her own, and I was going to get soaked anyway, so shower it is. Normally though, there isn't really a need. That was the first time in months.

DH hasn't showed with our dd since she was 1, and rarely showers with our 3 yo ds, and only if it is needed (as in, we have 20 minutes to get everyone clean and showered and out the door for church, and one shower...)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've only showered with my kids when they are really small. I hold them,wash them and then pass them to DH. That stops as soon as they start sitting up or wanting to play in the bathwater. They get their own bath then.

I'm probably in the minority here but our kids don't see us fully naked.
Doesn't mean I am right and others are wrong. That is just how we roll here.

They are all very aware of differences in bodies and how they function.

They all could probably describe my breasts in detail down to the freckle
My 6 year old told me to "put a shirt on before you poke somebody's eye out" shortly before I weaned his sister. The kids all found that highly funny. I did have a shirt on FTR. I had just forgotten to fix it after she jumped down to go play and I stated working with him again on his school work I long ago gave up caring about covering up while nursing.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it has a lot to do with the comfort level of the parents and the comfort level of the children.
My oldest son was about 7 or 8 when he stopped wanting either DH or I to see him in the tub. We are not really a shower together family I tend to take a bath with our babies till they are about 9-12 months old, but once they can sit up in the tub without trying to slip and fall they tend to just bath with siblings. Sibling bathing stops when they don't fit well in the tub together so usually around age 7 or if they ask to be able to bath alone. My DH has never wanted to bath or shower with our kids it is just not within his comfort level.
As far as seeing parents naked. My kids still walk in on me sometimes in my underwear and it does not faze them much at all, but I stop changing clothes around them about the time they are 4-5.