Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #41
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: At what age is it not appropriate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
My daughter is 11 and has been modest since she was 2 years old. I have no idea why since we never acted like it was a big deal to be naked. I'm almost 33 and still go into the bathroom and talk to my Moma when she is bathing.

My son is not modest in the least. He is 6 and we stopped showering together when he was 5. Mostly because our shower isn't big enough. He will still run through the house naked after he showers with a towel lying behind him...he pretends to be Batman, lol.
Agree even just a week ago my mom was in when I was bathing and visa versa

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #42
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

My girls are six and three. They don't really bathe with me anymore because they don't like showers and our tubs are too small for me to fit in with one of them. Plus they have each other to play w in the tub w their toys. They do see me naked a lot though because I always forget my clothes in the dryer or they walk in while I'm dressing. It doesn't bother them or me yet. It would bother me if their dad still showers or bathes with them though. Maybe because I grew up in a very modest home and was molested.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #43
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
I wouldn't allow my 10 year old to shower with me, but I think it has more to do with your comfort level and the way you feel about nudity/modesty.
This is how we feel. DD1 (5) tends to just bust open doors and forget someone is taking a shower or bother to knock. Sometimes we'll take a bath together though she's getting big so it's not exactly easy to just relax in a tub.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #44
Shaunam
Registered Users

I think in a normal parent/child relationship, when either party becomes uncomfortable, it is no longer appropriate. My son and I both started feeling uncomfortable with my nakedness about when he turned 7. He stopped hopping in the tub with me around age 6 1/2. Now, if he walks in on me when I'm getting dressed he covers his eyes and runs away. LOL He's also developing his own sense of modesty as well, and doesn't want me to see HIM naked.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #45
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

As others have said I think it is individual comfort level, both for the child and the parent. I would have said we would have been a modest family, before having kids, but that has not happened. We don't flaunt nudity, but it does occur naturally, getting in and out of showers, going from shower to closet, kids busting in while getting changed. My DD is 9 and has zero modesty within the family. She does have modesty at the pool change room, and when friends are in, though. My DS 7 is a bit more modest, and started showing desire to change alone about a year ago. DS 4 doesn't care yet. I am feeling the need to be more modest in front of DS 7. A while ago he ran through my room while I was getting dressed and stopped, stared for a moment and said, "Boobies!!!", giggled and ran out. I took that as a cue.

One side perk that I had not thought about is having the "talk" with the kids. When we talk about changes to bodies and differences between boys and girls, men and women, my kids already knew it all, naturally, just by exposure. It did make the various levels of the "talk" go very easily and smoothly.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #46
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I guess I'll share now. My Mom and I were discussing what is appropriate for showering with a parent. I still shower with all of my kids 8 and under both boys and girls. None have showed awkwardness or asked for privacy. Dh and I have fielded a few questions over the years and have just answered them age appropriate. Yes daddy's have a penis mom's have a vagina. Mommy has a wrinkly jelly belly Daddy has curly hair lol Ect. No awkwardness necessary.

My Mom expressed that it wouldn't be appropriate for dd8 to shower with DH ( she doesn't because dh usually has one or both DSs in the shower with him. But it's not something I would see as inappropriate if she did.
Both dh and I walk around naked if needed i.e. forgot a towel. Changing ect .Sleep in underwear. My kids were there for at least one siblings birth.

I still am very comfortable being nude around my Mom and sister an visa versa. It would not be unusual for us to be in the bathroom with mom while showering getting dressed. We talk about sex and our bodies with no shame and lots of giggles. Most I know would rather gouge their eyes before discussing sex with Mom.

I partly credit this with my healthy body image. I want for my DDs and ds's to know what real people's bodies look like and that there is nothing to ashamed of.

I tried to point out to my Mom that many would find her nudity in front of us or our discussions inappropriate
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #47
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I still shower with 5 yo dd occasionally. 2 yo DS I will not because he is too touchy for my comfort level.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #48
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

As long no one is uncomfortable. My almost 3 year old loves to shower with us. She notices body parts and talks about them but we don't see anything wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #49
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog
Well, my mother is 60 and I'm 31 and we still change/shower in front of each other.

With my Dad, it stopped very young. Although I'm perfectly happy to take off a shirt and put on another on in front of him. He isn't quite as happy though! LOL
I was gonna say, I'm 23 and my mom is 51 and we change in front of each other still.

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #50
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If the child is opposite sex, I think 2-2.5 is an appropriate age to stop. If the child is same sex, I think that depends on the comfort level of both parent and child.