Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #51
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: At what age is it not appropriate?

Once in a while with ds who is 4 but no one here really wants to share the shower. We like to have the water from the showerhead to ourselves.

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #52
Lkw729
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've always been very open with nudity and factual when it comes to answering questions about genitals and gender differences. I don't walk around naked, but we shower together and they come into the bathroom when I'm using it. I used to worry about when I should stop showering with my DS, but that just sort of gradually phased out as we added more children and as he got older. We still shower together occasionally, but its not often. I think if it becomes uncomfortable for either parent or child, it should stop. I know different people have different levels of modesty. For me, I want my sons to have a realistic perspective of a woman's body. And I don't want them to be ashamed of their bodies.
Now that I have a daughter though, I'm a bit more protective over her showering with DH. I don't know why it's different...
Lkw729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #53
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I guess we'll have to play it by ear. We are still fine, as is DS, and he doesn't seem to notice or care when we are naked and changing, getting out of the shower, etc.

I grew up in a very uptight family about this stuff and it's taken me a long time with DH to even be comfortable most of the time.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #54
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I started to feel uncomfortable by age three or four.

My friend showered with her son til at least age nine or ten, when we lost touch. I was uncomfortable with that...especially when we vacationed together. BUT, he also co slept with her and wet the bed every. single. night. (all over her too) So, in reality, I was more creeped out that she was fine being peed on every night, and the showering was just an added weirdness to me.

Plus, she would have to go to the laundry room every day on vacation to wash the sleeping bag and her pjs...which seriously cut into our beach time.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 12-04-2012 at 07:37 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #55
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

I think when one party becomes uncomfortable. Id been thinking about this recently...so I'm not sure
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #56
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is almost 3. He showers with DH all the time. That works well for us. I think he probably will up until he's capable of bathing himself.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've recently started feeling modest around him. I don't want to be prudish but I don't want to shower with him anymore. He still sees me naked, but it makes me uncomfortable and I try to avoid it. I think that I feel the way I do because he seems so much older than he actually is. He's advanced for his age and he's the size of an average 4 year old. He remembers stuff that happened 6 months ago or longer. He talks nearly as well as I do. I'm certain that he's going to have memories from now as an adult. I was a little bit younger than he was when my younger brother was born and I remember that. I also remember showering with both of my parents. I don't think that it's weird that I showered with my parents, but remembering their naked bodies is weird for me now.

Last edited by ashley84; 12-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #57
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I have never been comfortable showering with my children. My shower is too small. I don't even like to shower with DH that much. :-)

As for seeing me naked, my DS still sees me naked at 7.5 years old. Now I am not parading around my house without my clothes on, but if I am changing in my room or taking a shower, I don't lock any doors- in fact, I don't usually shut doors most of the time. I figure when he is uncomfortable he will stop coming in and talking to me while I am getting dressed.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #58
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When someone becomes uncomfortable. Doc recommended to my father who was nervous about showering with me that once they notice gender difference it should probably stop. At that point I think it becomes uncomfortable for a lot of parents. I don't care so much right now, but dh became uncomfortable with dd seeing him last year. And has become uncomfortable with dd being naked this year- mainly because she likes to do naked gymnastics. So we don't really go with an age just whenever people get uncomfortable.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #59
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

My dd (9) stopped showering with my dh at about 3ish. The first time she slipped and grabbed the first thing she could was the end of that. She showered with me till about 6 months ago when she finally started rinsing out all the soap in her hair.

My son (3) still showers with me and dh on a regular basis. I also will throw him in the shower with my daughter and wash him while she is in there too, but that is not often.
Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #60
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Family View Post
My dd (9) stopped showering with my dh at about 3ish. The first time she slipped and grabbed the first thing she could was the end of that. She showered with me till about 6 months ago when she finally started rinsing out all the soap in her hair.

My son (3) still showers with me and dh on a regular basis. I also will throw him in the shower with my daughter and wash him while she is in there too, but that is not often.
My 5 and 2 year olds bath together almost every bath. They will continue to until someone doesn't want to anymore. DD (5) is well aware of their differences but doesn't care yet. I don't see her wanting to not bathe with him anytime soon, she likes having a playmate in the tub too much.