Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what do you feed as snacks?

crackers with either pb, cheese, or plain
Fruit
carrots, spinach(this is only my 5 year, he eats lots of spinach)
hummus and pita chips (rare, but my kids love it when it is available)
yogurt

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I make snack bars out of dates, coco powder, peanut butter and coconut flakes. The boys love them. My boys also go crazy for prunes (yep prunes), nuts, baybel cheeses and apple slices. I keep baby carrots and celery in the fridge as well because Tharen will snack on baby carrots and Kearnan likes celery with peanut butter. Then I buy whatever fruit looks best when we are at the store. Usually we buy bananas, berries and pears, melons, peaches or something similar.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mostly just fresh fruit
dried fruit
wowbutter (fake peanut butter) and apple slices
wowbutter mixed with honey and crackers
granola bars
carrot sticks
applesauce
Smoothies- frozen strawberries, banana, handful of spinach and milk
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #14
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

For the kids afternoon snack (my kids hate raw veggies, but they'll eat carrots if they are soooo hungry, anyway so I don't tend to do veggies for snack time, just lunch and supper):

Homemade Granola Bars
Granola Energy Balls
Fruit with Peanut Butter
Cheese
WW Banana Muffins or some of other ww muffin
Popcorn
Peanut Butter Graham Crackers
Smoothies

1-2 days a week, I'll let them have cookies or some of the treat-food they've helped me bake as their snack.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just remembered one that might work well for you at home- banana and strawberry ice cream. Slice and freeze a banana, put it in the food processor with either fresh or frozen strawberries (if they are a little tart you can add a squeeze of honey). Puree a few minutes until they are ice cream texture. My kids love this and so do I.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any fruit, string cheese, veggies with hummus, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, pretzels occasionally, cheerios or chex, or plain rice. We still do cookies or chips for a treat, but they are rare and in moderation.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't snack much. My daughter won't eat what I cook for meals if I give her more than one or two snacks in the day.

But she is allowed raw milk, cheese, yogurt, banana, avocado, carrots, or homemade granola when we do a snack. I don't have money to keep a lot of fruit on hand, and I think that there are a lot of other more nutritious food options, so I limit crackers and fruit in general.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

fresh fruit of course, we almost always have bananas since they are the least expensive, plus a small selection of whatever was on sale that week.

Fresh veggies too, my teenager LOVES to snack on little tomatoes-grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, this week is camapari tomatoes. Also peppers, cucumbers etc.

hard boiled eggs. My 4 yr old could eat a dozen if I let her

cheese, I get blocks of cheese pretty cheap with sales and coupons and toss them in the freezer so we almost always have cheese.

Yogurt

Occasionally cookies if I feel like making them. I just did a cookie exchange so I have 10 dozen sitting in the kitchen right now, but I don't usually make more than a couple dozen probably once a month

and cake, because my sister works in a cake shop so usually an average of twice a month, we get whatever leftovers they have from cake tastings. My oldest works in the shop so she just brings home like half an 8in round when she comes home from work.

lately I have been craving the salty stuff, so I just got a few boxes of the pepperidge farm naturals pretzal crisps and the 4 cheese crisps. And 3 pkgs of goldfish. I have to be careful with the goldfish because I could eat the whole bag. So because they are so expensive anyway, I don't buy them often.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

fresh fruit of course, we almost always have bananas since they are the least expensive, plus a small selection of whatever was on sale that week.

Fresh veggies too, my teenager LOVES to snack on little tomatoes-grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, this week is camapari tomatoes. Also peppers, cucumbers etc.

hard boiled eggs. My 4 yr old could eat a dozen if I let her

cheese, I get blocks of cheese pretty cheap with sales and coupons and toss them in the freezer so we almost always have cheese.

Yogurt

Occasionally cookies if I feel like making them. I just did a cookie exchange so I have 10 dozen sitting in the kitchen right now, but I don't usually make more than a couple dozen probably once a month

and cake, because my sister works in a cake shop so usually an average of twice a month, we get whatever leftovers they have from cake tastings. My oldest works in the shop so she just brings home like half an 8in round when she comes home from work.

lately I have been craving the salty stuff, so I just got a few boxes of the pepperidge farm naturals pretzal crisps and the 4 cheese crisps. And 3 pkgs of goldfish. I have to be careful with the goldfish because I could eat the whole bag. So because they are so expensive anyway, I don't buy them often.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
nada87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone! I am definitely going to try these next week. They will eat yogurt, hummus, and fruit so I think I will start with that and maybe a few other suggestions that were provided.

I FOUND MY RAINBOW, NOW I AM CHASING MY POT OF GOLD
nada87 is offline   Reply With Quote