Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you have a Radian RXT - a few questions.

I have a RXT and a XTSL (basically the same).

1. We drive a 2001 Honda CR-V

2. Both are RF, one in the center for the newbie and another outboard with the angel adjuster for my 20 month old DD. I have also had one installed FF for my friends DD.

3. It can be a tricky seat, they probably put it near the bottom because it is heavy and bulky, takes up a huge amount of front to back space so it doesn't fit well in all cars, and the straps can be a little difficult to adjust (you have to tug, tug, tug instead of a smooth adjust like, say, Britax. I have never had any issue with it though personally). I know FF it can be a pain to install in cars with certain kinds of head rests.

4. I love it. Sure, it has some cons, but for us it works really well and I love how long it lasts. My DD is 20 months old and has tons of room to grow still. We have one waiting for our new baby too!

Advertisement

EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
maramarrie
Registered Users
seller

The seat with the impossible harness adjuster is a Marathon Classic, purchased 2 years ago. The harness has always been difficult, but lately I've noticed that the ratcheting bar doesn't go back down, so when I tug at his shoulder to make sure it's snug/secure, it loosens significantly. Since I noticed that it continues to do this every time I buckle him, I now manually push the ratcheting bar down when I'm done tightening the harness. Britax just sent me a new adjuster strap, so I'm going to switch it out and see if that fixes the problem. I've never had problems with loosening on any other Britax seat (I've only owned 3 total, though). Tightening/loosening has always been more difficult than our other Britax seats, but this one has gotten worse and that ratcheting bar has not always been getting "stuck" in that up position. I've tried cleaning it out to see if there's a raisin stuck in there or something, but there isn't anything noticeable. When I switch the strap out I'll do more investigating. If I can get the harness on this to work more smoothly, I won't need a new seat until he reaches the FF limits.
maramarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2000 Saturn SL1, Buick rendevous 2002, 1999 Dodge Ram Pickup (FF only in there), 2010 Ford Focus, 1996 Cadillac (not sure model),2002 Mercury Sable Wagon and 2013 Dodget Journey. These are all the cars I routinely install my radian in and have both FF and RF except the truck. I LOVE the radian. BUT it has a lot of quirks and odd rules as far as how and where to install, use the safestop or not, ect... and I think you have to be pretty on the ball to keep up with it all so for the average consumer it may not be the best choice. With that said though, I've never had a problem with it. Some cars do better with latch and some with seatbelt so with a little trial and error it ends up working.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

99 Suburban, 03 Trailblazer, 05 Silverado (with whichever back seat is the deepest), 09 Suburban.

RF in the 99, both in the Trailblazer, FF in the Silverado and 09.

Like everyone else, I think Consumer Reports might be fine for a new washing machine or other home goods, but not for safety equipment.

I find it just about impossible to install with a lap only belt. I could get it in, touch the back, and it would recline way too far, very easily. It is now nearly impossible to tighten, definitely while RFing. BUT that's an XTSL, and I was under the impression that Diono changed that. It had a lot of growing room and the highest RFing weight limit, so that's a plus. Very narrow, also a plus. But it is difficult/impossible to install in more cats than other seats, so it gets a bad rap. Buy from somewhere with an easy return policy and you'll be ok.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
99 Suburban, 03 Trailblazer, 05 Silverado (with whichever back seat is the deepest), 09 Suburban.

RF in the 99, both in the Trailblazer, FF in the Silverado and 09.

Like everyone else, I think Consumer Reports might be fine for a new washing machine or other home goods, but not for safety equipment.

I find it just about impossible to install with a lap only belt. I could get it in, touch the back, and it would recline way too far, very easily. It is now nearly impossible to tighten, definitely while RFing. BUT that's an XTSL, and I was under the impression that Diono changed that. It had a lot of growing room and the highest RFing weight limit, so that's a plus. Very narrow, also a plus. But it is difficult/impossible to install in more cats than other seats, so it gets a bad rap. Buy from somewhere with an easy return policy and you'll be ok.
There have been many reports of difficult-to-adjust harnesses on the RXT's as well, not just the XTSL's. It seems to be pretty hit-or-miss.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I had not heard that. That's good to know. Another thing I fell I should mention is that they do not have good customer service. At best they have an in house lack of communication. I've ordered different parts, more than once, and never received them.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

1. What type of vehicle do you have?

2012 Chevrolet Equinox, 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

2. RF, FF, or both?

We've only used it RF so far.

3. Why do YOU think Consumer Reports put the RXT near the bottom of their ratings for ease of use, RF fit to vehicle, and FF fit to vehicle?

I find it very difficult to get a good install compared to our outgrown Britax Boulevard. With the Britax, I get a rock solid install in a minute or less, no wiggle room. With the Radian, I spent two days trying to install in the rear centre position, only to determine it cannot be done because of the silly foot attachment they use -the plastic feet were coming up against hard plastic in the seat bite and couldn't be installed securely. Luckily, we were able to install it on the passenger side since there was no plastic in the bite in that spot, but it's still not as secure of an install as the Britax.

4. How do you feel about the Radian? Love it, hate it, indifferent?

I love that it's tall, and actually fits my giant 33 month old.

BUT, I hate the install and hate the harness mechanism, which is impossible to get as tight as I would like it. Essentially, I tighten it around DS as much as I can, then unbuckle him, tighten it a bit more, and fight to buckle him up again. For a tall kid, it's about the only choice for ERF, but otherwise, I would get the Britax instead for ease of use.

ETA: I didn't have the install problems in the Cavalier - still not as good as the Britax, but definitely okay in the centre position. It does not fit RF on either side in the Cavalier because the back seat is so small in that car and we like to have the seats back as far as they go.

Last edited by Layney82; 12-05-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
crunch!910
Registered Users

Have installed Radian in an 06' Chevy Impala, '03 Chevy Cavalier (4 door) and a 07' Kia Rio. Easy install in all three using both seatbelt and LATCH install. Never installed FFing, however. Only RFing as of yet.

By far one of the easiest seats I've installed. Maybe the seat is just complatible with the three cars listed above. The only complaint I have is that the shoulder pads are a bit thick so they don't bend over the shoulders very well when they need to be below shoulder level when RFing.. but oh well, we just deal. Better than having no padding at all and the straps cutting into their necks.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

1. What type of vehicle do you have? 1964 VW Double Cab
2. RF, FF, or both? FFing
3. Why do YOU think Consumer Reports put the RXT near the bottom of their ratings for ease of use, RF fit to vehicle, and FF fit to vehicle? Because they are idiots that don't know how to use carseats properly?

**ETA one more:
4. How do you feel about the Radian? Love it, hate it, indifferent? I rarely tighten DS into it, so don't have an opinion there. It fits the vehicle well, which I love. And DS1 thinks that his seat is cool, and likes to ride in it, so from that perspective, it is great!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Radian harness adjuster is, by far, the worst I have ever used. My Marathon classic is also a ratcheting adjuster and is much easier than the Radian.