Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
kirawr
Registered Users

Best Reusable Wipe Fabrics?

Hello ladies! I'm new to CD'ing and trying to get a starting stash built up before my first little one gets here later this month. I think I've finally got the diapering options sorted out (we'll be trying FLIPS with prefolds first), but am curious about reusable wipes. Specifically, does it matter what sort of fabric is used?

I've seen a number of mamas on here mention making their own out of fleece since you don't have to sew the edges to keep it from fraying - a perfect option for me as I don't know the first thing about working with a needle. Also, I've read that they can double as a necessary liner if the unfortunate should happen and I have to use rash creams. But does the fleece really clean well? And does it come clean easily? Or is it worth it to pay the extra and buy some 2-sided sets from a WAHM?

Thanks!

Advertisement

kirawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Katiebug_1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best Reusable Wipe Fabrics?

Congrats on your new little one! How exciting...mine is due later this month also.
This will be my first time using cloth wipes, but I have cloth diapered my last 2 kiddos. I wouldn't think fleece would be a good fabric for wipes. Yes, it is a no-sew fabric, but I don't think it absorbs water very well like you would want for a wipe. It's considered a "stay-dry" fabric so it makes great liners to keep baby dry. I would think you would want something that would absorb water/wipe solution for good cleaning. I made mine out of 1 layer of flannel (zigzag stitched around the edges to keep it from fraying). If you want something you don't have to sew at all, you could also use inexpensive wash cloths from Walmart or Target etc.
Katiebug_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend using fleece. It would just spread the mess around.

If you aren't wanting to sew, you can pick up cheap baby washcloth. The cheaper the better, since the inexpensive ones are much thinner and make better wipes IMO.

Otherwise, you could buy cotton interlock since it doesn't really unravel. But it does tent to curl/roll up.

My favorite wipes are Kissaluvs Awesome Knit Terry Wipes. They aren't pretty, but they truly are awesome! I only need one (sometimes two) for most poopy messes. They clean little bottoms so well!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

I can't sew either. I bought some single layer flannel wipes from an etsy mama.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't use fleece either, but a definite yes from me on the flannel! I also second 2 sided, I have both but the double sided hold up better. I also have some hemp single layer ones...they are a great texture but they curl up when washed and dried..they would be much better with a double side and a serged or zigzagged edge!
Do you know anyone who sews? My mom and I upcycled old flannel sheets and receiving blankets to make mine!! They are awesome!! We use them for so many things!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fleece might work, there are a lot of wipes that have cotton on one side and microfleece on the other. They probably wouldn't hold water very well, though.

For newborns, baby washcloths are my favorite. They're thin enough to easily get into all all the wrinkles and they clean well. You'd want a poly/cotton blend, though, they work better than the 100% polyester ones.

For bigger babies (maybe 3+ months), I like more substantial wipes. Cotton or bamboo velour are nice, so is cotton micro-terry. I don't like flannel very much, but a lot of people do, so that might be a good option as well.

I'd definitely splurge on some nice wipes if I were you.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

Check on Etsy. I love my double ply flannel wipes that I purchased on there. I use them for wiping noses and wash cloths too, they are super absorbent! Baby wash cloths are also great, but I wanted something more substantial.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
SurprisinglyCrunchy
Registered Users
seller

I have OBV/sherpa wipes from a WAHM. I love them. I use them to clean faces and also to clean up after pumping at work.
SurprisinglyCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Polyester fleece repels liquid so it wouldn't be very good for wipes. I like double-layer cotton knit the best for this and I also like double-layer cotton flannel. If you have some cotton baby washcloths, those work well for baby wipes.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I buy single flannel wipes for really cheap from Tender Bottoms on Etsy. I can use one wipe and clean up my 2.5 DS's poo with ease. I think I paid $10/30wipes. She makes double sided ones too.

Wipe solution, I use WeeEssentials (Etsy) wipe cubes now but I did make it myself with a bit of baby wash, tiny bit of baby oil and hot water an it also worked well, but the wipe cubes solution has yet to get musty even once!

I made my own using flannel baby blankets, real easy and I never had to stitch them.

Last edited by halielise924; 12-03-2012 at 12:33 PM.
halielise924 is offline   Reply With Quote