Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
desibob
Registered Users
seller

Afraid of wool

This has probably been posted before, but I'm new to this group (I'm usually on Baby Bump CD forum), and I haven't been able to find old posts. I'm CDing for the first time. My son is 8 weeks old, and we've been CDing for about 6 weeks. My stash mainly made up of pocket diapers (RaR, BGs, Swaddlebees, Thirsties Duo AIO) and a couple Bamboozles with Imagine covers.

My little guy started leaking through everything NB, so I had to switch to the OS diapers with extra inserts to prevent leakage. The RaR and BGs are working for nighttime diapers, but I'm afraid he'll start leaking through those in the coming months. This has me looking for a nighttime solution that doesn't involve sticking 5 different inserts into a diaper, so I'm thinking about fitteds with a wool cover. I have no idea where to start. I want something that my little guy will be comfortable in for over night, whenever he can sleep through the night. He wakes up if he's wet, so I have to change him every 3-4 hours at night. At this point, I'm willing to pay for anything to get a full night's sleep.

What is your experience with different brands of wool covers (sbish, ecoposh, etc.)? I'm so afraid I'll buy something and ruin it. Is there a good place to learn how to lanolize? What else do I need? What are good fitted diapers for heavy wetters? Help! Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

desibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
tomandkara
Registered Users
seller

Re: Afraid of wool

Don't be afraid! Wool is your friend!

Lanolizing is super easy. I use Lansinoh and baby soap. Put a pea-size amount of the lanolin in a container that has a lid, add a squirt of baby soap, and then fill the rest of the container almost all the way with hot water. Shake it up until the lanolin is dissolved. Fill up a sink with warm water (tepidish) and pour the lanolin mixture into the water and swish it around a bit to get it distributed. Then put your wool in (I like to do it inside out) and let it sit for about fifteen minutes. You can do it longer if you would like. Then drain the water (no need to rinse) and gently squeeze as much water as you can out of the wool. I like to lay the wool on a kitchen towel and then roll up the towel with the wool inside and squeeze the towel. Then I lay the wool on a drying rack and leave it to dry. Every half day I will flip it over or turn it inside out.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Find me on facebook and Hyena Cart to see my custom-dyed wool interlock, hybrid fitted diapers, and children's clothes! I stock Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. EST!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
desibob
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! Is there any wool you'd recommend? I'm trying to get a few, but don't know which brands to try.

Mommy to one adorable ds (10/12) and wife to wonderful husband (3 years and counting)!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I personally like knit or crocheted wool. I've gotten all of mine on FSOT at a bargain compared to buying new. You just have to have measurements of baby instead of S/M/L etc. since you're looking for something for night you could even use shorties in the winter and probably get them at s good price because they're out of season.

For lanolizing, I microwave some hot water for a few minutes, put about a pea size about of Lansinoh (the purple tube of nipple cream) on a spoon and stir until it melts. Then I add a little baby soap, stir that. I have a little plastic wash pan thing that I use. It fits in my kitchen sink and keeps my sink for being coated in lanolin. I put the hot water, lanolin, and soap mix in there and add cold water (so as to keep the wool from shrinking). The rest is just like what PP said.

Like you, I was really nervous to try it, and now I love it! The best part for me is that I can use things that I can buy in the baby dept at Walmart. I'm in a very un-crunchy town and I was worried I'd have to order the upkeep stuff. That was a selling point.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What ar you stuffing the pockets with? You could always add extra layers, bamboo, hemp. It doesn't mean he will start to leak. My DS is 13 months and we use by pockets. I stuff them with a hemp prefolds. Never had a leak.
If you do want to try wool it is very easy. Especially since you don't have to wash the cover much.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
desibob
Registered Users
seller

I'm currently using hemp to add more absorption. It works most of the time. Just afraid he will start leaking through at ought since he wakes up with a pretty wet diaper (only had one leak at night so far with the RaR). During the day I've had a few more leaks using hemp since he's constantly eating. I change his diaper every 1.5 to 2 hours, but he usually leaks during a nap.

As for buying wool, what measurements would I need to take?

Thanks you!

Mommy to one adorable ds (10/12) and wife to wonderful husband (3 years and counting)!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Hips, waist, rise, and inseam if you're looking at longies.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
desibob
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
Hips, waist, rise, and inseam if you're looking at longies.
Ok, thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

For night wool we use felted disana wool soakers. They don't have anything restrictive on the waist. A cheap option for a first time wool user are upcycled wool covers. If they are prefelted(felted before the fabric is cut) they are machine washable. They are also cheap. If you can sew you can make them yourself from wool sweaters. Although I have always used wool I had never used upcycled wool. I was very sceptical to say the least. When my son wouldn't fit any store clothing I decided to make upcycled longies(wool pants). They worked beautifully. My son in my avi is wearing a pair of upcycled longies.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
tomandkara
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by desibob View Post
Thank you! Is there any wool you'd recommend? I'm trying to get a few, but don't know which brands to try.
I'm partial to my own brand
(link in siggy)
Find me on facebook and Hyena Cart to see my custom-dyed wool interlock, hybrid fitted diapers, and children's clothes! I stock Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. EST!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote