Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OBs and HB midwives

Has anyone continued to see their OB concurrently with their home-birth midwife? I scheduled my initial consultation with a prospective HB midwife, but my regular OB wants me to continue seeing her during my pregnancy as well -- not as often, but every month or two. I don't have any health issues, but this is my first pregnancy and they think it would be safer to keep ties with the hospital in case something unexpected comes up during my home birth.

Thankfully my insurance covers the OB visits and procedures 100%. It won't be any extra cost.

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Re: OBs and HB midwives

I did...I was scared of jinxing myself though I really wanted the homebirth to work but also wanted to have a relationship eith the hosp midwives and be familiar with the hospital in case I did have to go for some reason. If your insurance pays for everything it can't hurt! Thankfully it wasn't needed and having baby at home was an amazing experience
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would do whatever you're comfortable with.

there's nothing wrong with seeing them both as long as you're not feeling like you're going to appts every week.

every month would be a lot to me, but I don't see my OB except every 6 weeks. but if it's not a lot to you and you're honest with your midwife, I don't see a problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes, with my second b/c insurance covered it I decided I should have that history with the OB and hospital. I did my labs and u/s with them too. Turned out I had a medical emergency and needed to birth in the hospital so it was for the best. But I never regretted planning for the HB as I love the care I got from my MW. So I kinda got the best of both worlds, despite loosing my HB which was sad. (My first was an uncomplicated HB btw with no use of an OB at all as we had different ins then.)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

It doesn't sound like a bad idea just in case. I would hate to be in a situation were my plan completely changed and I was putting everything into the hands of a stranger.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I think if you have an ob who is willing to do that and it won't strain you, time wise or financially, go for it!

There are no obs here who would ever consent to such a thing, and imo, we need more obs that are willing to work WITH midwives, rather than against them.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My homebirth midwife actually requires I have parallel care with my OBGYN. I can get my ultrasound, labs, any tests I want from my OBGYN. I've always been seen by both my midwife and OBGYN during my pregnancies.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm planning a HB and have seen my OB maybe 3 times(I'm 31 wks). I never did labs but had a dating US and anatomy US. I do like having ties with an OB but the possiblity of actually delivering with her specificly if I went to the hospital is slim. So for me its just nice that the practice has my charts but its kind of like not going at all IMO. Plus, it gets a little more stressful towards the end trying to decline testing and so on.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I saw both a midwife and a doctor for the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy, because insurance only covers doctors and I could do labwork and ultrasound and insurance would pay for it.