Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can you help me decide?

We are expecting our first baby the end of March. We decided that we aren't going to buy a bucket seat. Originally my husband and I decided that we wanted to buy him the maxi cosi pria 70. We love the tiny fit system since we will be using it for a newborn. We also liked the cushioning on it. So many carseats have virtually no padding under the bum & don't feel like they would be comfy & cozy. My only concern (as if right now) is the buckle. Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't they have the tendency to stick and be hard to unbuckle. I do have rheumatoid arthritis and some days my hands are pretty bad. I don't want to have to always struggle with it!

I hear a lot on here about the Radian carseat but we originally didn't consider it because of the price. Now Amazon has it reduced to $220 and puts it in the running. I just read a thread about it having glitches and some people don't like it. Tightening the harness was the only kink that was mentioned. What are the other ones?

If you are familiar with both car seats which would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
I forgot to mention we want to rear face as long as possible. Also the radian we were looking at is the radian RXT. I think that's everything
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can you help me decide?

I haven't heard of issues with the Pria buckle sticking. Where did you hear that?

The Radian has a whole host of quirks:
*takes up LOTS of front-back space when rear facing if you're using it at a newborn angle (which you will be at first)
*can be difficult to install in many cars, and impossible in some
*requires a separate "rear facing boot" to be attached for rear facing - it comes with the seat, but if you're ever switching between RF and FF and back again, it's kind of a pain in the neck
*when forward facing at certain weights and with certain installation methods, you have to attach an extra piece to the harness ("safe stop"). Can be confusing to remember the rules (though they are in the manual), plus it can be problematic for switching between RF/FF or FF for different kids
*in order to achieve a more upright angle when RF (for older toddlers, especially if you want to reclaim some of your front/back space), you'll probably need to buy an "angle adjuster," sold separately
*the rules for positioning the head wings on the RXT are not all that intuitive
*HEAVY. Seriously heavy. Not a good thing if you're moving it around on a regular basis.

Other "features" that aren't unique to the radian, but kind of a pain nonetheless:
*cover is difficult to remove for washing
*harness tightener on some seats takes an extreme amount of force
*ratching harness adjuster (even on seats where it works well) can take some getting used to

On the plus side, it is long-lasting and narrow.

If you have a trusted friend that can lend you an infant seat for the first couple of months, you might like the Chicco convertible (due out late spring/early summer, last I heard).
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you have "bad hand days" you probably don't want a Radian. They are a PITA to install in many cars (downright non-compatible with some). I hate mine! I had to have them for a 3 across setup, and strongly dislike them.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks! We won't be installing it frequently in different cars. So at least that hassle would be eliminated

I am thinking of buckle issues with other carseats by that same manufacturer (drawing a blank on who makes maxi cosi) that use the same belt. I might be totally wrong though!!

I did think about asking to borrow an infant seat but I don't have anyone near me that would have one. My friend that does is due a month after me. I do have the carseat on my baby registry because I purchased all my big stuff used so our registry isn't that big. I figured people could go together on it.

Has anyone had experience with the pria 70?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lots of people love it! It wasn't out yet when I was buying, and we have 12 carseats for 3 kids (who ride in 3 cars) so DH was adamantly against me buying one "just because"
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
whiteyacht
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
re: sticking buckles, you are probably thinking of the new buckles on graco and evenflo seats. Dorel uses a different buckle that has never given me a problem.

---
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.
whiteyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyacht
re: sticking buckles, you are probably thinking of the new buckles on graco and evenflo seats. Dorel uses a different buckle that has never given me a problem.

---
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.
Thanks! Come to think about it I do think it was graco that I was thinking of. I was looking at a graco seat too before so I probably mushed it all together in my brain. Lol
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Lots of people love it! It wasn't out yet when I was buying, and we have 12 carseats for 3 kids (who ride in 3 cars) so DH was adamantly against me buying one "just because"
Lol. That's us in other areas with things!!! I got a seat just for my dh car. I don't trust a seat to be safe if its constantly being moved. You tend to get lazy and not get it as tight over time. I'm going to take both cars to a carseat check to make sure they are safe & installed properly and then not move them!!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I have had problems with my Radian buckles sticking (2 seats), and I think I've read that it is an issue several people have. And if you call the company they'll gladly tell you they'll send you one for free! And you'll never get it. . .