Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Ariomi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Opinions on the Brother LS2350 (the one that was $49 BF sale at Walmart)

Hi ladies!

I I'm wanting an inexpensive sewing machine for me to learn on and to have available for me to make my own unpaper towels, napkins, wipes, and doublers when I get good enough at it.

Walmart had the Brother LS2350 for sale for $49 on Black friday. I passed it up but low and behold my walmart still has some at that price in the sewing department. My mom told me she'd get it for me for Chirstmas if I wanted. I can't find many reviews since I think its a new model. I found them on Amazon for $119!

Advice? Experiance? Anyone get one on Black Friday and how do you like it? I'm not picky, just need something that's worth the money and will work.

Advertisement

Ariomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinions on the Brother LS2350 (the one that was $49 BF sale at Walmart)

I don't own it but It's a beginner sewing machine. It would work to sew basic things. It depends on what you are planning to make and your skill level as to weather or not it would work for you. I don't think it would work for bulky things like multiple layers of denim. It would be fine for curtains, learning to sew, cotton kids dresses, mending, etc. You don't need a ton of fancy stitches to sew as a bulk of your sewing would be with the straight stitch and zig zag. (This machine says 20 stitches but you only really get 2 ... straight and zig zag with different widths and lengths) This would not be good for sewing knits as it doesn't have a stretch stitch.(IMO) This is the type of machine that lasts a year or two if you used it frequently. Don't expect it to be something you that you would own forever. It's a good price for what it is. If you are a beginner who has little experience with a sewing machine by the time it dies,you would probably be ready to upgrade to a better machine anyways.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you can swing it I would spend a little more for a machine with a few more stitches, as the pp said. This one is $78 and can do a whole lot more. Like buttonholes.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
KaysieW003
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got my awesome older Singer Athena 2000 at a yard sale for $35 and it is a SOLID machine! Super easy to use even my 7 year old uses it. I recommend craigslist and finding an older machine they are better made than the newer models in my opinion
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Ariomi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the suggestions!

Finding one on craigslist was my first idea, however I've been looking out for one and all of them so far are listed for major $$$, even the older ones or they are to far away from me to be practical to get. Wouldn't it be a gamble to get one older like that anyway? I mean, I LOVE the older vintage version of everything but I wouldn't even know what I was looking at or what to look at to see if it was a solid machine.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it would be a good starter machine for a learner. It should have all the basic stitches and do most starter type tasks.

I had a cheap BF Brother machine from Walmart and used it for years even making diapers and mamacloth with it. It eventually went out of time but I got at least 3 years out of that $50 I spent.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Ariomi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for that! I think that if I were buying it myself I might spring for one a tad more expensize to get more stuff on it, but this one was offered to be bought for me for Christmas so I'm just glad its a decent starter/learner machine! Thanks ladies!