Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Twins and carseats

I need some he making sure I am not missing something. DS is almost 2, RF in a true fit. We just found out we are expecting twins in July and I am already trying to figure seating out. We have a graco snug ride 22 that we used with DS that he HATED but it is still in date and usable so I was thinking we use those 2 seats for the twins and buy DS a new convertible car seat (maybe on that will RF to 40 lbs). Will I wish I had 2 bucket seats? DS would never stay in it so I figure maybe one twin will be agreeable and I can wear the other one? If that sounds like a good plan what seat would you buy DS? I drive a mercury mountaineer so I think 3 across should work well, even thought the true fit is so wide.

Advertisement

themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Twins and carseats

Yes. You will wish you had two seats. Being able to drop a previously strapped in baby into the base, and to carry 2 sleeping babies inside in their buckets, then go back for the 2 year old would be necessary for me.

When it is pouring or snowing, you will appreciate the buckets. Also, there is a good chance you will have tiny babies. A Graco 22 pound bucket may not fit a small baby. The lowest slots are very high on that seat, and may be above the shoulders of a 5/6 pound baby.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-04-2012 at 05:10 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats on the twin pregnancy!

I have no real twin advice. If you're a babywearer and think you can manage to tandem wear all the time then by all means go with convertibles. As far as the Snugride 22, I would look at other buckets if you decide to go that route. I would look at narrower buckets that are known to fit teeny tiny newborns. I would consider the Cybex Aton, Chicco Keyfit, and Safety 1st OnBoard Air. You might have to replace the True Fit since that seat is pretty darn wide. I don't have any experience with the Mountaineer but I'm looking at an Explorer for me so I'm interested to hear what fits. What year is your Mountaineer?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Yes. You will wish you had two seats. Being able to drop a previously strapped in baby into the base, and to carry 2 sleeping babies inside in their buckets, then go back for the 2 year old would be necessary for me.

When it is pouring or snowing, you will appreciate the buckets. Also, there is a good chance you will have tiny babies. A Graco 22 pound bucket may not fit a small baby. The lowest slots are very high on that seat, and may be above the shoulders of a 5/6 pound baby.
Good points..I just remember not doing that much with DS but with 2 to think about I be we will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m
Congrats on the twin pregnancy!

I have no real twin advice. If you're a babywearer and think you can manage to tandem wear all the time then by all means go with convertibles. As far as the Snugride 22, I would look at other buckets if you decide to go that route. I would look at narrower buckets that are known to fit teeny tiny newborns. I would consider the Cybex Aton, Chicco Keyfit, and Safety 1st OnBoard Air. You might have to replace the True Fit since that seat is pretty darn wide. I don't have any experience with the Mountaineer but I'm looking at an Explorer for me so I'm interested to hear what fits. What year is your Mountaineer?
Thanks! I still can't believe it but I am a total researcher so I am dealing by trying to figure out all the little details this early. Ours is a 2007. I guess I need to get in car-sear.org and look for some successful 3 across.
themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just have my twins (no olders) and agree with the others that you NEED the buckets. It just makes getting in and out so much easier. If you need to run in a store really quickly you don't have to wake up the babies. We only used ours for about 6 months before switching to our Radians full-time. At that point they were too heavy to carry two babies + two car seats and we switched to Babywearing more.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

I have a 5, 3, and 2 year old, and 8.5 month old twins. You'll want the bucket seats! I can't imagine carrying two wiggling babies plus trying to wrangle 3 other ones! I'm dreading the day we move them to a convertible seat!

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You will want 2 buckets for sure! Those combined with a double snap n go stroller saved my sanity! Really! Congratulations mama!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

A less expensive infant carrier that fits newborns even preemies well is a Comfy Carry Elite I think there around 65-70 dollars and fit 4 pounds and up and are narrow and lightweight
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I think you will regret not having bucket seats. I am a bucket seat person, we loved ours and I was sad when DS was moved to convert's. LOL

I see you are in TN, so at least it doesn't get too terribly cold there. But just think, every time you have to run an errand or something, you will have two babies and a 3 yr old. I can not imagine trying to rangle one bucket seat, get one baby out of the seat and wear it, and wrangle the 3 yr old too. I would have a double stroller, two bucket seats to pop in it, and the 3 yr old walking (or on a leash, LOL, I kid I kid...ok, maybe just a little...)

Congrats on the twins!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Yes, you will want 2 buckets and a double snap 'n go frame stroller.

Also, consider that most twins are born early and the Snugride 22 is not preemie-friendly. If your twins end up in the NICU (like mine did), they will have to pass a car seat test before discharge and the car seat will have to fit snugly with a tiny baby. The Snugride 22 will NOT work. Like you, we had a Snugride 22 from my DD1 and another brand new one for the twins. We ended up exchanging the new one for a different infant bucket for DS and borrowing another bucket from a friend until DD2 gained some weight and could use our older Snugride 22. :/