Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how do u plan a curriculum?

I know this is a wide open question but how do YOU go about it? I have certain things that want her to learn but I'm kinda not sure how to go about planning to teach it to her and make assignments and projects for them any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
croark
Registered Users
seller

Re: how do u plan a curriculum?

This year I'm trying something different for my 5th grader. We start our year in January. So I've bought a 2013 calendar for me and one for her. Mine is very simple. I got my daugher this student planner.
I want her to work more independly this year which is why she's got her own planner. I sit down with my planner and circle every day that is a school day for the whole year. So I have my schedule and know what days are school days and what days are off days at a glance. Takes about 15 minutes. Then I sit down with her planner and work out the whole first quarter lesson plans. I just go through each subject one at a time. On the first line is Math. We use MUS so I write down if she needs to watch the vid that day and then which worksheets. Second line is Reading. I write down which book and which chapter needs to be read. I have a rolling cart with drawers. I coordinate the drawers with the lines in the planner. Top line is math lesson plans. So the top drawer of the cart has Math. And so on and so forth. :-) This is a little more time consuming which is why I only do one quarter at a time. But doing one week at a time did not work for me. Even one month at a time rolled around too quickly. I don't go further than one quarter though. Just in case we need to shift gears and do something different once we get into the year.
And I do everything in PENCIL! I guarantee things will need to be moved around at some point.
croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I buy subjects and we go through them. We have our start date and we go until we're finished. As far as what to teach, we have homeschooled from the beginning, so some things just build (such as math and grammar). Science and history I get the kids' input on when possible. ODD is in 7th grade this year and I really like our science curriculum, which recommends a specific order for the higher grades, so she doesn't really choose now. The younger ones do, though, as the curriculum doesn't have to go in any certain order at their level.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Trial and error.

I have liked most of what I've gotten, with the exception of a few things. I know what type of learner my son is, and I've found the curriculum's I've researched to be fun, easy to build upon, and so on. I don't know what I'll do in a few years when my son is done with the lower level books and we need to move on to a different program, such as writing!

I go subject by subject. I've stuck with either books that come with a plan, or open & go type of books. Like the Apologia Science, there is a 2 day per week plan, but on their yahoo group, people have shared a 3-4 day per week plan if you want to consolidate and maybe do 2 science books in 1 year. I like that idea as my son loves the science we just started, and we would really like to do all of the elementary level apologia books by grade 6, they're fun (he's doing 1st/2nd now, so we have time)!

As far as planning other things, Singapore Math has a daily plan in the front of the TG. It has been wonderful, I have used the extra practice workbooks and just have him do whatever pages that applies to what he's learning if he needs to the extra practice in an area. For books like Explode the Code, if I want him to do 2 books, or 3 books in 1 year, I calculate how many pages he would need to do per day. He enjoys ETC workbooks, so typically he does 2 pages per day, and we just move to the next book. With writing, he does 1 page per day, sometimes that takes him very little time, but that way, we will have finished the book in 1 year, or maybe slightly sooner.

Sometimes it's overwhelming, I'm still debating on what to do for "Bible" but have pretty much decided on BJU Bible Truths. I have decided by lots and lots of looking online, scouring ChristianBook.com and looking at endless reviews, and I'm still discovering more and more that looks appealing, however I'm pretty confident in the things I've chosen because they are good for me and for my oldest (2 youngers haven't started official schooling yet). What is easier for you, and good for your child, makes homeschooling smoother. I like some of the teacher intensive programs, I also love the idea of schooling for almost free. I like literature based schooling, but I cannot read for hours with 3 children. I also know that I am not a planner, I'm not dedicated enough, so I know my weaknesses. If a particular curriculum has reviews stating it's very teacher intensive or takes a lot of planning, I don't bother with it.

Last edited by ACSNMama; 12-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.
ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I buy our curriculum and figure how many pages/lessons we need to do daily to finish in a certain amount of days. Then I write on the front of workbooks how I want it done. And in texts I use a post it on the title page. Example: Math U See says M- Video A, T- BC, W- DE, F-F Test. And our PLL books say 1 lesson M, T, W. And so forth.

A lot of subjects are planned for me because we use MFW.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote