Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
panicked, DH said we can HS next year, point me toward curriculum

Update/ETA, I would love to be pointed toward curriculum that is secular or that isn't super conservative Christian. We are Christian, but I dont plan on telling my child that the world is only 6000 years old or that we did not evolve. I also don't want one that has any info offered against homosexuality. I will never tell someone that they are wrong for that as I do not feel that is my place, nor do I want to support a company that feels it is their place to shove it in your place. *I don't especially expect this issue to come up, but I thought I would throw that out there.

SO, we have been in discussions of HS'ing for a while, well... since before DS1 was born actually. DH was initially adamantly against it. For the past year or so he has said it may be an option. Well, I took the summer off from work so the boys wouldn't have to be at school year round and said I would be working with them on math and reading so they would be ready to start back in the fall and today at breakfast (for lunch) he said he had just assumed I would be homeschooling them next year?!

I'm not really sure what to do. He is not the type to just say something to make me happy or to get out of talking about it, but I'm not sure I can pull it all together by the fall. DS1 will be 7 in August and DS2 will be 4. The biggest difficulty is they both went to Montessori last year and I really don't know what grade they would be. DS2 is Definitely preschool, but DS1 may be 2nd or even 3rd grade in some things and possibly just 1st in others. How do I figure out what curriculum to use and what grade to buy?

Advertisement

Last edited by meeshkasheeba; 05-26-2013 at 04:46 PM.
meeshkasheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: panicked, DH said we can HS next year, Now what?

If you haven't yet, start by finding out the laws in your state. HSLDA is probably the best place to do that.

Secondly, try and determine their learning styles.

Next, a few more things to think about. Secular or sacred curriculum? What subjects do you want to cover? Do you want everything together or are you willing to piece together things? Even when you piece things together, they typically have a guide for how long it should take and how much to do at a time, so you are not completely winging it.

If you can find a copy, a good place to start is Cathy Duffy's Top Homeschool Picks.

If you can give us some more insight on specifics you are looking for, it would be easier for us to give good suggestions for curriculums.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I'm in Oklahoma so, we are expected to provide 175 days of instruction a year, but can do as little as 3hrs a week. We have very liberal HS laws (I guess because the state is so conservative?)

My DS1 is very hands on. He learns by doing, and thus has been at Montessori for 3 years. He is a very busy child and although he will sit and work art projects or science experiments w/o interruption, he has a much more difficult time sitting still for reading or math.

DS2 is really easy and does great with hands on and auditory learning. I don't know how well he will process visual instruction. I'm not nearly as worried about him though, because he has a while to get used to the idea of structured learning.

ETA, we dont really care about secular or religious curriculum.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Okay, here are my suggestions off the top of my head.

Math -- Either Math-U-See or RightStart. They are both excellent programs that are hands-on. We use Math-U-See and love it. I have a hands-on learner, an eclectic learner, and one I haven't figured out yet (she's just 6). I know MUS has a placement test on their website.

Science -- We really like Apologia for science. It is easy for the kids to follow along to, includes good hands-on activities, and there is an optional notebook to go with it. Be aware, though, that it is creation based.

History -- Don't really have any suggestions for this one. At that age we just read historic fiction and play games. We have a few Professor Noggins games, Made for Trade (set in colonial times), and Scrambled States of America.

Reading -- Not knowing really what level your son is at, I'll just tell you what we use. We start with Sing, Spell, Read, and Write for learning to read. Once they are reading well, we follow up with a year of phonics with Rod and Staff to reinforce what they've learned. We also work on reading aloud and I ask questions as we read to check their comprehension. We don't start formal grammar until 3rd grade. Madlibs are a fun way to do some basic grammar.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd research curricula and methods and see what you like. We don't use RightStart, but it might be perfect for your boy if he flourished in Montessori. It has Montessori roots. Level B is probably appropriate. Don't worry if it's too easy at first, just let him enjoy it.