Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
TutuEllagant
Registered Users
Formerly: Mama20
seller
seller

Question Anyone give up cloth because of yeast??

My daughter is 11 months old and she has had SO MANY yeast infections in her short lil' life so far! This last one has driven me crazy!! It seems like they come, hang around for a while, and then go away fr a couple weeks or month, only to return again!

We do probiotics, garlic, gse and bleach in EVERY diaper wash (not just when the yeast is visible). We don't ever reuse towels with her, and she doesn't consume sugar. She consumes very minute amounts of diary (usually just yogurt) because she is sensitive to it.

We have used every natural bum remedy for yeast, then clotrimazole, and finally nyastatin. The pediatrician just shrugs his shoulders

We tried using cloth during one of the episodes but lately we just switch to disposables when it's flared up.

I'm so annoyed with having to switch back and forth, and not knowing what the cause is...I just don't know what else to try except switching to disposables full time.

Any thoughts???

Advertisement

TutuEllagant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
We had to give up cloth bc of dds severe sensitivities but never had yeast. Have you treated the diapers for it?

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

How much bleach are you using in each wash? Are you positive it is yeast and not a rash from something else? Teething or food intolerance are the first things that come to mind.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone give up cloth because of yeast??

I've heard grapeseed oil is better for yeast than bleach. Have you tried that?
I also wanted to add, a little girl down the street had yeast infections until she potty trained and never used cloth diapers.

Last edited by cdeweese; 12-04-2012 at 07:22 PM.
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried GSE diluted on her.. not just washing the diapers? We only had it once but for a month. I went to disposables for a while and it didn't help. I finally said "enough" wheres the cloth, and i used prefolds so I could easily bleach them. I put GSE 10 drops per oz in plain water to wipe the bum and did alot of air time and it was gone in a couple days. I continue using GSE for wiping and never had it again!

HUGS! I'm sorry it's been so tough. What kinda of diapers do you use? Maybe she needs more staydry? Maybe not at nighttime?...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 12-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Poodlemum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would be so frustrating! I agree with making sure it is not a fabric/detergent sensitivity or food intolerance, they can be very similar looking to yeast.

Visit my FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pied-...68899319840619
My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/PiedPipersDiapers
Poodlemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
TutuEllagant
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, it's for sure yeast. We use 2tb of bleach in every wash, and 100 drops of grape seed oil in every wash. Once a month I do a quarter cup of bleach (along with the gse) in the wash.

I haven't tried gse directly on her. The nystatin works well in treating it. It's more a matter of the yeast always coming back. The only person I ever knew to have this bad a problem with yeast as a baby was my sister, but she was always on antibiotics. My daughter has never been on them before.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
TutuEllagant
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
We had to give up cloth bc of dds severe sensitivities but never had yeast. Have you treated the diapers for it?
what do you mean treated the diapers? Not sure how. I used bleach and grape seed oil on them and put them through 2 hot sanitary washes.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama20 View Post
The nystatin works well in treating it.
It actually didn't work for us. Losing the 3 tube in the month long episode was probably the best thing that could of happened for us!

I would still recommend on her to help keep it away. What is the main diaper you use?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
TutuEllagant
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
What kinda of diapers do you use? Maybe she needs more staydry? Maybe not at nighttime?...
We're using BGEs during the day, and Freetimes at night. I LOVE my stash and would quit cloth if I had to switch to different diapers, LOL