Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
croth7
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone give up cloth because of yeast??

I had a yeast rash with my son as well and used 1/2 cup of bleach on my diapers. I'm thinking that perhaps 2 tbsp of bleach isn't disinfecting them. Perhaps the yeast is still living on/in your diapers. Also, I'd be sure to rinse a few times to make sure there is no bleach left in your diapers.

Does the rash get better after using disposables exclusively? If so, I think it's your diapers that are the culprit.

I hope you get this figured out soon. It can be so frustrating! I'm sure some other mamas will have some great suggestions as well.

Advertisement

croth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
TutuEllagant
Registered Users
Formerly: Mama20
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I actually think we got clotrimazole (this was over 2 years ago) the first 2 tubes we got were smallish, the last one was HUGE like three times the size. That is the one we lost almost new.
Yeah, clotrimazole worked great, but I don't know if she built up a tolerance to it, or it was a different kind of bacteria, or what, because the last two we just had to get nystatin from the doctor.
TutuEllagant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I gave up cloth at night because that was just too much wetness. We change after every pee now and no more yeast problems!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
TutuEllagant
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by croth7 View Post
I had a yeast rash with my son as well and used 1/2 cup of bleach on my diapers. I'm thinking that perhaps 2 tbsp of bleach isn't disinfecting them. Perhaps the yeast is still living on/in your diapers. Also, I'd be sure to rinse a few times to make sure there is no bleach left in your diapers.

Does the rash get better after using disposables exclusively? If so, I think it's your diapers that are the culprit.

I hope you get this figured out soon. It can be so frustrating! I'm sure some other mamas will have some great suggestions as well.
I've been trying to figure out whether or not it is the diapers. When we switch to disposables, it's not like the yeast goes away immediately. It still takes several days. So I don't know if it's making a difference or not. It was just such a pain to put the liners in the cloth, worrying about the nystatin possibly causing repelling issues if it went through the liners, and worrying that the bleach and gse might not be getting all the bacteria out. So we just switched to disposables during flare-ups more for peace of mind.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Curious, how often are the flare ups? Are the predictable at all? Like you have never gone ____ weeks/months without one? maybe use disposable for a full month or whatever it is and see if it actually makes a difference?... Or maybe do all your freetimes and when you run out use disposable and see if that makes a difference (before you spend more money on FT)...

Or as suggested maybe try just using cloth during the day and change frequently see if that helps. Only one disposable at night isn't too bad...

At the very least if you decide to "give up" don't get rid of your stash right away. If she gets the flare ups just as often then you will know and you can think about going back to them. Even if she using them 3 out of ever 4 weeks that still saves a lot of money and trash!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 12-04-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #26
TutuEllagant
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
At the very least if you decide to "give up" don't get rid of your stash right away. If she gets the flare ups just as often then you will know and you can think about going back to them. Even if she using them 3 out of ever 4 weeks that still saves a lot of money and trash!
true, true! I haven't noticed a pattern, but I haven't been writing things down, either. I'll have to try disposables for a month or two and see how it goes. Thank you all!!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ds has battled with yeast on and off since birth, he's 13mths now. It's due to the medications (anti malarials etc) I am on for rheumatoid arthritis, he's fully bf and it comes through in my milk.
I do find it's better/easier in disposables, he gets the tiny red dots all over his genital area, it takes a few days to go away when we switch but it seems to stay away longer when he's in disposables.
We've tried every treatment. If it wasn't for cost, I would switch completely to disposables, infact I am about at that point now even though we'll struggle with the cost.
Sorry, not much help but I know how frustrating it is!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally I like the idea of just stopping at night first and see what that does .

Not sure why you chose to cloth diaper but you could use the flip system to cut down on waste. You could also use a disposable insert on top of your freetimes for night time see if that helps, you could also then use a cream or oil at night time...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote