Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Nursing twins 20 month. Night weaning?

I am seriously SO tired! I feel like they are 20 months going on 2 weeks! For the past week or 2 they wake up every 2 hours! And that's one immediately after the other, so while they are getting 2 hours of sleep, I am only getting 45-60 minutes after feeding each one. It was fine when it was once a night, but I'm at my whits end! It makes me want to wean entirely, but I know I'm not ready for that yet(when I'm in a good mood)

mandabug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Nursing twins 20 month. Night weaning?

Congratulations on getting so far!!! Great job! I ended at 16 months with both my sets of twins. I had no supply left at that point. Anyway, at 20 months, night weaning is totally reasonable. The way I would handle it is start over a weekend when your husband has a few days off. When they wake up at night, don't offer to nurse. Don't give in after a while either. Offer a drink in a cup or sippy and comfort in other ways, but don't let them nurse. One way that makes it easy not to offer is for you to let your husband handle it and you don't go in. However, with 2 sets of twins myself, I know you often need to divide and conquer especially at night. So, you may have to let him handle one while you handle the other if they won't easily go back to sleep. At any rate, I'd just suggest just going for it with both at the same time just stop at night. They will probably be over it in just a few days and then you will all be sleeping better. Another option is to start by eliminating one night feeding at a time. It will probably take longer to get it done though. But, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck!!!
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-13-2012 at 06:29 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Nursing twins 20 month. Night weaning?

Google "Dr. Jack Mckenna sleep" for some tips on gentle night weaning. You can do partial night-weaning without night weaning completely. Or anything in between. There are options.

And I know you are exhausted! I've been there. Not with twins but my toddler was wanting to nurse every hour some nights, so kinda the same... It really helped me to look at the bigger picture that it was a phase, each time, and that it didn't turn into a habit, if I did decide to meet that need to nurse. Usually it was a need that lasted anywhere from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks and had something to do with either a cold/illness or teething. That gave me some solace in my sleep-deprived state, knowing I was really meeting a need and not just getting worn out for no reason.

I hope you find some tips that help and get more sleep soon. Best wishes.
Wife to my sweetheart and SAHM to my little lovey, Colin (12/10) my little family
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote