Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Just a letter of intent for kids 7-15 that goes to the district. You only file it once and they keep it for 18 years.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Curious...What does your state require?

Our laws are pretty lax- we have to file a yearly letter of intent starting at age 8, and have them take an annual standardized test (with only you knowing the results). Pretty easy!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

In FL - just looked this up today!

Have to file a letter of intent, complete with all student's names/addresses/Bdates.

Then annually, we have to either: have the child evaluated by a child psychologist, a school psychologist, or a social worker, have the child & their portfolio evaluated by a FL certified teacher with a valid license, or have the child take a standardized test.

Whatever we choose to do annually, we can do it whenever we want, as long as it is annually. (so there is no "complete by" date, so long as it is done each yr) We have to send it in to the state.

Then, we are required to keep 2 yrs worth of work for the child's portfolio, which can be requested at any time by the state, and you will have 15 days to produce it for them to review.

If at any time, they find your student to be falling behind, they give you one yr to get them back up to where they should be, and then retest them.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

We're in Georgia and have to file a letter of intent by Sept 1st for every child between 6 and 16. Every month we have to send in an attendance record and meet a yearly requirement of 180 days of 4 hours each.
Starting in 3rd grade they have to take a standardized test every 3 years, so 3rd, 6rd, 9th, 12th, but you don't turn them into anyone.

My oldest is only 5 this year so Im glad we're "getting used to it" this year before having to turn anything in.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 12-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

dp

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 12-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Like several of the other mama's I'm in TX and while there are some requirements here there is no one to enforce them. When I withdrew my oldest from the charter school he attended I did have to file a letter of intent and I have had one principle attempt to tell me that I would have to file a curriculum plan with him but I know my rights and informed him that I did not and unless he wanted a letter from HSLDA he should back off. I never heard from him again (switched schools my son was receiving therapy from and never had to see him again). Tx claims that all students including those in a home schooled setting should be receiving education in certain subjects but at the same time ensures that parents are protected in their right to educate their children as they see fit.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here in NC we have to file a notice of intent when our oldest child is turning 7, click through an email they send out once a year just verifying you are still homeschooling, and administer standardized tests to all children 7 & older (not turned in here, either). However we know several families that are not registered at all who kinda live "off grid" from everything.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I lived in Tennessee, I home schooled DS for part of Kindergarten. I pulled him out after school started.

The requirements were I had to have him registered by a certain date or pay a fee to homeschool. To withdrawal and switch to homeschooling, you needed approval by superintendent of the district. (I was hassled till I said I was going to get a a lawyer! ) I had to pay the fee as I was past the date. I had to register him each year and turn in how many hours he spent doing "school " activities. They did not want grades or any info about what he was being taught.

(I moved and it was weird. School had started in TN but not in the state I was moving to. So I had to register him again as a homeschool student or face truancy issues even though in 3 weeks he attended the 1st day of school in our new state!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I live in NJ and there is no requirements here. No letter of intent, no testing, no anything. Feels really strange for a state that is so regulation heavy but hey, I will take it!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In Ohio we have to send a notification letter each year. This letter has to have our intent to homeschool and a brief outline of the curriculum you will be using. We also have to either have our children tested or a portfolio reviewed by a teacher each year.

We also have to assure them we will school 900 hours and cover all listed subjects. We do not have to turn in any kind of attendance form though.