Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Red face Want to minimize but overwhelmed!

I recently went through all our clothing and purged a bunch, also went through cloth diapers and did the same. My house is in chaos (mostly due to a bathroom remodel taking place) I think today's target will be our board game closet. Just going to empty everything out and try to get rid of things.

What are some other good places to hit? I know I need to go through my kitchen and get rid of dishes too. What are some place you find need to be decluttered? I am p rely happy with myself for cleaning off the tops of my kitchen cabinets no junk there anymore, sadly the fridge is still a dumping ground.

I'm just generally feeling overwhelmed, with two little ones and three big boys I have little time to declutter, but this has to happen. I feel like I am enslaved to stuff! And I want it gone, help mommas I need encouragement!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
creative_catch
Registered Users

Re: Want to minimize but overwhelmed!

Way to go in purging! We have also been trying to finally clean out stuff for our new baby. Unopened mail from 3 yrs ago, clothes, and the medicine cabinet- which I threw out one-third of very expired meds! Its refreshing, yet a never ending battle. We are trying a "sorting bin" system- where we put misc. things without a "home" to sort once a week, or trash.

Its really hard to let some things go- like books- we love the idea of reading them, but seldom actually get to read them and they have overflowed from the book case into the ...bathroom, haha!
creative_catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe a list would help you out?

Here's a good one... you don't necessarily have to do it a day at a time, or even in order. I've used this list more than once to purge through my house. There's a pdf to download.

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/...ered-home.html

When I need motivating, I focus on a smaller area like a closet, pantry, toy area, etc. because you can see a big change more quickly. Since you're redoing your bathroom right now, maybe go through everything that you took out of there? That way you don't bring clutter back in?

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox View Post
Since you're redoing your bathroom right now, maybe go through everything that you took out of there? That way you don't bring clutter back in?
Great idea.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it is an overwhelming process I would just do 2 garbage bags a day for a week to start. 1 for garbage and 1 for donate. At the end of the week you will have 14 bags.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wrote every room in my house down....then each room had a smaller list of things to purge/organize.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I purge whatever I'm feeling inspired to do. You could try sitting in a comfortable spot and seeing what catches your eye. I love getting things that are visually unpleasant (like stuff on top of the kitchen cabinets - good job!), that way it looks like you've done a lot and you'll notice it next time you sit down.

Yesterday I did the drawer in the bathroom while baby took a bath and wiped out half the drawer! Just one simple drawer and I felt very accomplished.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote