Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
agoerke
Registered Users
seller

Does infrequent pumping result is low amount of expressed milk?

I am a SAHM and only need to pump once a week when I am away from ds and I used to get plenty when I pumped but now I can only get 1-2oz. Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal? Or does it resemble a low milk supply and ds isn't getting much when he nurses?

Advertisement

agoerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does infrequent pumping result is low amount of expressed milk?

What you can pump has no bearing on what the kiddo is getting, they are far more efficient at getting milk than any pump. I don't know about changing in the amount you pump though.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This is quite normal I just actually attended a breast feeding class this week w/ a lactation consultant at my local hospital. I am a doula, so I try to absorb as much info on breastfeeding and childbirth as possible. This in particular was a concern of mine early on w/ my second child as well b/c I experienced the same thing.

First, known that your baby will always be the most efficient at getting milk from you, no matter how nice of a pump you have . It's just easier to let down to you sweet snugly baby, instead of an impersonal plastic pair of cups.

Also, to get more yield with a breast pump you would need to be pumping quite frequently (adding in additional times on top of your baby's feeding so your body produces more overall). You probably were getting more earlier b/c your body was overproducing.

Early on your body often produces more milk than baby necessarily needs. Your baby will adjust feedings & your body will thus adjust production. This is also when you notice your breasts not getting so full in between feedings. You are still producing plenty of milk, but not having overproduction that can often lead to engorgement & blocked ducts in the beginning as your body is figuring everything out.

The lactation consultant I am working with said that it is actually more common for women to only get 1-4 oz per pump (and that could be out of both breasts) per pumping session (over varying amounts of time pumping). Your body will produce what your baby needs. In addition, baby doesn't need as much breast milk as you might think to get all the nutrients he/she needs. Breast milk is liquid gold and contains is über concentrated with good stuff specifically designed to meet your baby's dietary/developmental needs.

For me this was hard to get used to because w/ my 1st kiddo I pumped a ton from day one. She was a NICU baby & we struggled w/latch, etc for a while. Also, sometimes I wasn't allowed to nurse her & she had to be bottle fed my milk/colostrum while in the hospital. Thus when we got home, she wanted a bottle too. I nursed her, but I also pumped 4-5 times a day. My yield was high, often 8-10+ oz in 30min. This continued when I went back to work & pumped until I lost my milk supply at about 8 months.

With my 2nd I am a SAHM. I was expecting to get the same amount of milk when pumping, but I never got/get over 3-4 oz out of both breasts (often it's more like 2oz). My son nurses when he wants & my body produces what he needs w/ little excess. He is almost 15months & I still have a great supply, but rarely get much when I pump.

I think you shouldn't correlate how much you are getting when pumping to how much baby is getting b/c most likely he/she is getting exactly what they need. If you are concerned though, contact a lactation consultant at your local hospital or check out a breastfeeding support group. These resources are free & are very helpful to ease any worries you may have. You can also look up La Leche League members in your community that can help.

If you are concerned about baby's weight gain or development, contact your pediatrician. They can weigh baby before & after a feed to see how much he/she is getting if you are really fearful it's not enough. Also, they may have you closely monitor how many wet diapers you are getting daily as "what goes in must come out."

Good luck to you & don't worry yourself too much! I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job :-D. Know that there is a ton of support out there for you if you need it too. I can never emphasize enough just how helpful support while breastfeeding, especially your first, can be. Take advantage of a local lactation consultant. They are great resources!

Hope this was helpful .

Last edited by Liaklong; 03-27-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
agoerke
Registered Users
seller

Oh my goodness yes it was helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer so thoroughly. My mind is at ease now. If his weight gain beings to be an issue I will absolutely look in to having him weighed before and after a feeding. But for the most part, he seems content after each nursing, even though he is so fast these days! Thanks again for your help!! That was a blessing.
agoerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
mommie2_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaklong View Post
This is quite normal I just actually attended a breast feeding class this week w/ a lactation consultant at my local hospital. I am a doula, so I try to absorb as much info on breastfeeding and childbirth as possible. This in particular was a concern of mine early on w/ my second child as well b/c I experienced the same thing.

First, known that your baby will always be the most efficient at getting milk from you, no matter how nice of a pump you have . It's just easier to let down to you sweet snugly baby, instead of an impersonal plastic pair of cups.

Also, to get more yield with a breast pump you would need to be pumping quite frequently (adding in additional times on top of your baby's feeding so your body produces more overall). You probably were getting more earlier b/c your body was overproducing.

Early on your body often produces more milk than baby necessarily needs. Your baby will adjust feedings & your body will thus adjust production. This is also when you notice your breasts not getting so full in between feedings. You are still producing plenty of milk, but not having overproduction that can often lead to engorgement & blocked ducts in the beginning as your body is figuring everything out.

The lactation consultant I am working with said that it is actually more common for women to only get 1-4 oz per pump (and that could be out of both breasts) per pumping session (over varying amounts of time pumping). Your body will produce what your baby needs. In addition, baby doesn't need as much breast milk as you might think to get all the nutrients he/she needs. Breast milk is liquid gold and contains is über concentrated with good stuff specifically designed to meet your baby's dietary/developmental needs.

For me this was hard to get used to because w/ my 1st kiddo I pumped a ton from day one. She was a NICU baby & we struggled w/latch, etc for a while. Also, sometimes I wasn't allowed to nurse her & she had to be bottle fed my milk/colostrum while in the hospital. Thus when we got home, she wanted a bottle too. I nursed her, but I also pumped 4-5 times a day. My yield was high, often 8-10+ oz in 30min. This continued when I went back to work & pumped until I lost my milk supply at about 8 months.

With my 2nd I am a SAHM. I was expecting to get the same amount of milk when pumping, but I never got/get over 3-4 oz out of both breasts (often it's more like 2oz). My son nurses when he wants & my body produces what he needs w/ little excess. He is almost 15months & I still have a great supply, but rarely get much when I pump.

I think you shouldn't correlate how much you are getting when pumping to how much baby is getting b/c most likely he/she is getting exactly what they need. If you are concerned though, contact a lactation consultant at your local hospital or check out a breastfeeding support group. These resources are free & are very helpful to ease any worries you may have. You can also look up La Leche League members in your community that can help.

If you are concerned about baby's weight gain or development, contact your pediatrician. They can weigh baby before & after a feed to see how much he/she is getting if you are really fearful it's not enough. Also, they may have you closely monitor how many wet diapers you are getting daily as "what goes in must come out."

Good luck to you & don't worry yourself too much! I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job :-D. Know that there is a ton of support out there for you if you need it too. I can never emphasize enough just how helpful support while breastfeeding, especially your first, can be. Take advantage of a local lactation consultant. They are great resources!

Hope this was helpful .
OMG!! I have been having the same concerns and was about to post about it until I read this. Such a great post!!
mommie2_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Sdayfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My bathroom scale is sensitive enough that I can weigh him before and after feedings at home. Cheap Walgreens digital scale!

Last edited by Sdayfamily; 03-05-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Sdayfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
alishamarie904
Registered Users

Liaklong - thank you! Quite helpful
alishamarie904 is offline   Reply With Quote