Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Being Canadian 12 months is the minimum age a child must be to attend daycares. It would be very difficult if not impossible to find one licensed for children younger. My children both started at 12 months my daughter had a way more difficult time than my son but that us their personalities and has stayed consistent through the years.

I also teach in an ECE setting so I see all the 1 year olds entering and it honestly depends on the child.

I rarely see older children Entering the program as most of our children attend from age 1 until they start school.

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I found out I was pregnant when ds was 14 months. We started looking for daycare but realized he wasn't in a good stage to start. We decided to keep him home. At 23 months (and 1 week before I was due with dd) I realized a change in his personality and an increased independence. I knew he was ready and found a daycare. He started at 23 months and did great. No crying and he loved it. I'm glad we waited until he was ready. From 10-20 months my husband would play in the church nursery with him because dd would cry if he tried to leave. But now he pushes dh out the door and says bye when he drops him off.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: What Age did you child start daycare?

I really think that your issues OP were partially due to the age and partially the inconsistency with care....it sounds like there were several situations as you tried to find something that worked and several times when your child had multiple caregivers. I understand you were doing what worked at the time but all that shuffling around made another transition harder. Its possible that your child just wasnt a good fit for the original daycare but its also possible that the daycare was just fine but it just wasnt the best fit. I wouldn necessarily think the second daycare was better just because your child stopped crying at drop off although that can be a good indicator. I always suggest that moms ask the provider/teacher to text a picture when their child stops crying. you can see for yourself how long it took for them to calm down. i have some kids that cry at dropoff here and stop crying when the front door closes....then i whip the door open and show mom that baby stopped withing a few seconds. or i text a picture in a few minutes when kiddo calms down. some kids could be dropped off at disney land and still cry....its not about the place, just the transition that is hard at some ages for some kids.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD -
5 mths-9 mths: a friend watched her along with her own 4yo DD. DD loved it, never cried at drop off
11.5mths-1y 9m: home daycare, loved it, never cried
2y11m-3y 9m: different home daycare - loved it, never cried at drop off, sometimes cried at pickup (didn't want to go home)
4y11m: started Kindergarten, attends after school program on-site (classified as a "center") - loves it, has never cried

DS -
13mths-1y10m: home daycare - loved it, never cried at drop off, sometimes cried at pick-up (didn't want to leave)
3y1m-present: different home daycare - loves it, never cries, wants to stay there all the time, cries on the weekends when I tell him there's no daycare today.

In addition, my kids go/went to a preschool starting around 2yo. The first year is 1 hr 2x/wk, the second year is 2hrs 2x/wk, and the pre-k year is 3hrs 2x/wk.
DD -
started the 2yo program at 2y2m - loved it, never cried
started the 3yo program at 2y11m - difficult transition, had a few days when she cried at drop-off
started the pre-k program at 3y11m - loved it, never cried
DS -
started the 2yo program at 2y1m - loved it, never cried
started the 3yo program at 3y1m - loves it, never cries
(will start the pre-k program next Aug)

Last edited by lanwenyi; 12-05-2012 at 08:05 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #15
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He started on his 6 month birthday. It was harder for me than for him.