Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

I need help lol

I'm working on decluttering and minimalism because living in a single wide with three children is...crowded lol anyways I've done toys do that's not the problem but clothing OMG!! Ds1 has 20 long bottoms (jeans,knit pants,wind pants,sweats) alone! Idk how many shirts but you get the idea how do I decide what to keep? I do a load of laundry every morning. I read a list to keep 10 pants, 10 short sleeved, etc but are these already matched up on the hanger? Or do i....oh idk I'm over thinking it and I need someone to tell me what to do!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

clothrookie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help lol

you would save space by matching them all up on hangers. I would pick out your ten favorites and toss the rest! justget to work and it will come easy!!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
SurprisinglyCrunchy
Registered Users
seller

Where did you find a list of suggested limits on items? I would love to know because I struggle with knowing how many to keep of things (towels, clothing, etc.).
SurprisinglyCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

When I'm looking at how much to keep for clothes, I try to keep enough that we could go a week without doing laundry. Exactly how much that is, will depend on the ages of your children, their activities, and their personalities. For instance, my 12 yr old doesn't go through as many pairs of pants as my 5 yr old because she's just not as messy. It will also depend on where you live.

Right now, my 5 yr old has 5-6 pair of pants and a couple dresses/skirts. If we were in Alaska still, she would need a few more pair of pants probably. Being in Oklahoma, she can wear a skirt that hits her knees and still be comfortable.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Im the exact opposite of tallavnor. When I pick a number, I make sure that we have few enough clothes that I can wash ALL of them (for that season) in about 2 loads, maybe 3 in winter. Thats for the whole family, not per person. I know my weaknesses and habits, and I WILL end up waiting until somebody is all out of something (undies, pants, etc) before i do laundry. And it makes my life so much less stressful if I know it will all be done in 2 loads. And when Im keeping up on things, its even better!

For us, (we are a family of five) that stays around 5 outfits each.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
Im the exact opposite of tallavnor. When I pick a number, I make sure that we have few enough clothes that I can wash ALL of them (for that season) in about 2 loads, maybe 3 in winter. Thats for the whole family, not per person. I know my weaknesses and habits, and I WILL end up waiting until somebody is all out of something (undies, pants, etc) before i do laundry. And it makes my life so much less stressful if I know it will all be done in 2 loads. And when Im keeping up on things, its even better!

For us, (we are a family of five) that stays around 5 outfits each.
Yes, but I have no dryer, so I have to space out my laundry. We always end up with clothes that hardly get worn, but by having enough for a week, I know that if something were to happen and I couldn't do laundry, the family would have clean clothes.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is the best way I have found to cut down:

You turn all your hangers is the opposite direction in the closet. Decide how long you want your clothes to last you between washes, for the sake of this example say 10 days. For the next 10 days as you wear things, wash them and put them away put the back on the hangers in the correct direction. Then you can see what you wear in a typical 10 period and adjust accordingly for the seasons and special events - uniforms, formal wear, etc.

If you do not hang your clothing, just put your clothes away in a separate pile for the time period. Hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisinglyCrunchy
Where did you find a list of suggested limits on items? I would love to know because I struggle with knowing how many to keep of things (towels, clothing, etc.).
Here's one for the kids. I'm looking for the one for everything else I should have saved it

Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisinglyCrunchy
Heres the kitchen one
http://unclutterer.com/2009/06/11/ou...alist-kitchen/