Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 17 Month Old DS Climbing Out of Crib- What to do?

17 months was the latest any of my 3 were in a toddler bed, and really the transition was WAY easier than I thought it would be. We had one or two nights of sitting right outside their room and telling them to go back to bed when they got out of bed, and that was that.

We did take EVERYTHING and I mean everything out of their rooms but their beds for my boys, or they emptied dressers and got into everything. We only had to do that for a couple of months though before we started phasing things back in. A little rearranging for a couple of months was worth it to establish a good bedtime routine early on in the transition.

We also put a gate across their door since their bedroom was at the top of stairs and we didn't want them wandering around. They could climb gates at that point, but never did across their doorway for some reason.

Really, as long as you are very consistent in the beginning, it's not as scary as it sounds!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #22
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would go to a toddler bed. It was a fairly easy transition for us at 17/18months (for bedtime, anyways). hopefully you'll have the same experience

if you buy another crib, it'll only be a small matter of time before they figure out how to get out of that one too.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is why we moved our kids to a toddler bed shortly after a year since they were all walking and climbing some at that age.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Toddler bed! All mine have been in toddler beds at 13 ish months. Ds3 went right from our bed to a mattress on the floor at 11 ish months. It really wasn't bad. Baby proof the room we put a gate at the door and we never had many issues.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using DS Forum
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

I asked some women on my FB list too, and then talked to my husband about it and I think we're going to start looking for toddler beds or twin beds and then add a rail. Based on what everyone is saying I think that's the best way to go. Plus we'll need to rearrange and change some things in his room as well, not that its a dangerous place for him but I don't totally have it baby proofed because he only sleeps in there.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just please do something quickly. Friends of ours waited - and their DD fell out of her crib and broke her arm. The first time my son put his leg on the crib rail was the last time he was in the crib. Just pull the mattress out and put it on the floor, even.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz View Post
K
When my boys were starting to put their foot up on the side of the crib I firmly said No. I told them they could get hurt. They never tried it and never climbed out of their cribs. Now I am sure for some kids this would totally not work but it did with my kiddos. I would be firm and put them back to bed.

Just my humble opinion.
Definitely wouldn't work for my kiddos! As soon kiddo climbed out once, that would be the end of the crib. It isn't worth risking a fall, IMO. I'd be off to get a toddler bed, and put the mattress on the floor in the meanwhile.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
stephbrown13
Registered Users

I moved DS1 to a twin mattress on the floor at 8 months, then into a toddler bed at 14 months. DS2 went to a floor bed at 10 months. I LOVE it and have never had a problem with them not staying in bed. Their rooms are completely child-proofed and they occasionally will play for a bit before climbing in bed and going to sleep.
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS started that at 17 months and we got a crib tent. But they don't make them anymore. Not sure what I'd do if we didn't get that.

My DS was into everything and was a danger to himself. No baby proofing could stop him. The toddler bed wasn't an option since he was sharing a room with his sister. She needed to be able to use the bathroom at night so we couldn't have him able to get out of the room. We got another year out of the crib with the tent.

He is now 3 and bed time is STILL horrible. All naps stopped once the crib was gone and he we still have to take everything out of his room at night including the lamp. He empties the dresser and hamper every few nights along with the garbage can if we forget to take that out. The closet is locked so he can't get into that. We even have to "lock" the door so it can only open a few inches until they fall asleep - then we let it open all the way. Without doing that my DS gets into things in the bathroom (which we can't lock since the kids need to use it) I've come into find his room with water all over, tooth paste spread on the carpet soap all over, pouring shampoo down the drain etc. And he is so quiet that you can't hear a thing

I sure hope that your little one makes an easy transition to a toddler bed and settles right in. My littlest is 6 months, and I'm hoping she ends up being like my DD and NOT my DS! I don't think I could survive another one of him - especially since all 3 will be sharing the same room...
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #30
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I should add that when we finally moved him from the crib we put his mattress on the floor. We tried a toddler bed at first, but he kept falling out So give that a try and see how he does!