Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #41
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD's poop is pretty easy. Usually just takes 1 sposie wipe.

If I switched to cloth, I think I'd need to buy better wipes.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #42
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Bags!

You can always start cloth wipes with baby washcloths - that's all we used with DS1 and DS2! I splurged when pregnant with DS3 and bought 3 dozen WAHM-made wipes, but they weren't necessary, just a want.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #43
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have some flannel and tshirt wipes I made, but they just don't seem to grab all the poop the way a sposie wipe does. Seems more smeary.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
Blessed2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcannon View Post
I just got a Jujube Be Hip for an awesome deal! It's not too big and not too small. I think it's one of the few new things we've purchased for baby.
I was debating one of these, but the measurements seem small. What can you fit into it comfortably? Is it overly deep and not wide enough??
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found a bag I got from a PajamaGramma co-op a couple years ago that will work great! Hooray for one less thing to worry about!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #46
LacyHolly
Registered Users

I bought a few used Eddie Bauer diaper bags, 2 for $12, for my boyfriend to use since they're just plain black. For myself I splurged and spent $65 on this Thirty One Cargo Purse to use as a diaper bag. I got it a while ago in just a gray color because they were going to be discontinuing it...

I've actually been using it as a bag to bring stuff to work in and it's HUGE and has quite a few pockets, so I'm hoping it'll be a good diaper bag!

We plan to exclusively cloth diaper at home, but possibly use sposies or disposable inserts and disposable wipes when out and about.

Looking for Thirsties fitteds with hook and loop
LacyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #47
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyHolly View Post
We plan to exclusively cloth diaper at home, but possibly use sposies or disposable inserts and disposable wipes when out and about.
It's really not a big deal to use cloth when you're out! Just get a couple wet bags, and you're good to go

FWIW, too, we had no poop-splosions with our babies in cloth, but in disposables it happens often... unfortunately. So even though it may seem like it's easier/less space or work to use disposables out, needing to have 2-3 extra outfits kinda cancelled it out, kwim?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #48
mollyj931
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used various diaper bags last time around (cheaper bags, ones from friends, big purses) but this time was looking for something cuter. I was looking on etsy and decided to attempt one myself. It was my first big sewing project and I am really proud of how well it turned out. It's cute and big! Can't wait to use it. Also have a thirty-one small tote that will probably use on day outings.

Cloth wipes-what kinds do you like best? I have been sewing some (it's been my nesting!). I have been doing 8x8 2 layer flannel, but found some cotton type knit the other day on sale and did that on one side and flannel on the other, and made them like 10x10 (thinking these may be for wiping hands and faces in the kitchen).

What sizes/materials seem to work best?
mollyj931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyHolly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
It's really not a big deal to use cloth when you're out! Just get a couple wet bags, and you're good to go

FWIW, too, we had no poop-splosions with our babies in cloth, but in disposables it happens often... unfortunately. So even though it may seem like it's easier/less space or work to use disposables out, needing to have 2-3 extra outfits kinda cancelled it out, kwim?
I understand completely. When I first decided on cloth, I was really concerned about how it would work when we were out and about. Would I be swishing my diapers in public toilets? (answer: um.. no) Would my diaper bag smell horribly? (again, no) Would I get home and have horrible things to deal with? (not really, no).

but it was really really hard to visualize the whole technique until we did it.

DH will tell you - actually did tell someone just the other day - that we had tons of public poop explosions with disposables and that he was sold on cloth because you just don't get the poop explosions.

Just look at sposies and the lack of pretty much anything at the back to keep the poop in. There's no elastic.. it's just this flat, straight back... so poop defies gravity and then you're in a mall bathroom trying to bathe a newborn with wet wipes and get it off whatever they were in - your arms, the bucket, the carrier - whatever.

but I do understand the apprehension.. but let me tell you.. it is not as scary as it seems before you do it.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #50
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyj931 View Post
Cloth wipes-what kinds do you like best?
I have 36 WAHM-made wipes. I think they'd be about 8x8. They're terry cloth on one side and velour on the other - the terry is great for cleaning and getting poop off, the velour side is nice and soft for just a wipe. (both sides are very soft, though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
DH will tell you - actually did tell someone just the other day - that we had tons of public poop explosions with disposables and that he was sold on cloth because you just don't get the poop explosions.

Just look at sposies and the lack of pretty much anything at the back to keep the poop in. There's no elastic.. it's just this flat, straight back... so poop defies gravity and then you're in a mall bathroom trying to bathe a newborn with wet wipes and get it off whatever they were in - your arms, the bucket, the carrier - whatever.
Yup We thought and thought and couldn't remember a single blow-out with DS3 in cloth. I mean, once he was up and crawling and moving... that's a different story, lol. But when he was a newbie, I mean.

Trouble is that a newborn is always held or sitting/laying in/on something - so there's always something against baby's bum and diaper. When he poops, it just shoots right up the back of the diaper