Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Where do you buy your lye? Need some asap.

Don't have much to spend but I have got to make another batch of laundry soap. Walmart didn't have red devil. Where elese to look OR where to get for a good deal, possible free shipping. I'd like to get as much as I can afford, which isn't much atm. Links, anything welcome!!!!!

TIA!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Earthy Emmy
Registered Users

Re: Where do you buy your lye? Need some asap.

I make my laundry detergent with borax, washing soda and fels naptha. i've never used lye in it before.
Earthy Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have an interest in making bar soap for the shower (I never have before) and so have lately been researching this. I have dreamed up several essential oil and goat milk combinations that I think would be good for my own skin and could potentially sell on a small scale, but the financial leap of getting the equipment and the unfortunate hazards of using lye are making all of this seem very unlikely.

Anyhow, what I learned about lye is that Red Devil is no longer under production. Apparently a lot of hardware stores carry other brands of lye, however. Otherwise you will need to order it online, e.g., http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/Categories.

I'm guessing soap making just isn't going to work in my circumstances b/c I have a windowless/ventless kitchen and chemical sensitivities. The melt and pour bases generally aren't made with the ingredients I would choose and seem like they would be less cost effective than using lye and oils. So I think I'll be leaving the lye soap-making to women and men with spacious kitchens or (for cold process) outdoor gazebos. However, if anyone has comments regarding lye use in contained indoor spaces, I'd be interested to hear them.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually make the soap, not a mix. It's just soap in a huge quantity and when it's dry and crumbled into an almost powder, then I add the additived. I get more than using bar soap this way.

Sad to hear it's nolonger sold. I can check some local stores for other brands. Thanks for the info!

I may just read up on the wood ash byproduct method? Make my own. Ugh!

This is my base:
Laundry Soap

11 cups water
1 cup borax (found at the grocery store in the detergent aisle.)
1 cup bleach
9 cups melted fat (around 95 degrees)
1- 13 oz. can lye
Using an 8 quart or larger pan, add water. Then very slowly add the lye to the water. Stir constantly until the lye is dissolved. Slowly pour the lye water into the fat. Stir and add the bleach, borax, and any scent if you so desire. Stir. Every half hour, stir the mixture. It will soon resemble cottage cheese. You can break up chunks with a potatoe masher. Leave overnight, and for the next several days, stir occasionally to dry the soap out. When almost dry, pour into a plastic-lined box and leave until completely dry (about 2 days.) To use,blend one cup of soap in the blender to a fine consistency. Keep in mind that this soap is low sudsing. The harder the water you have, the less suds you will have. Softening your water will produce more suds.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I order mine from Essential Depot. They have good prices and sometimes free shipping.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks.