Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's how our midwife had us make our bed (starting from mattress and building on top);

Mattress
Plastic mattress cover
Set of sheets
Plastic cover
Set of "throw away" sheets

That way we could just strip and toss the first layer of sheets/plastic once the labor/birth/placenta/stitching mess was done, and still have a plastic sheet underneath in case I had a postpartum pad leak. :-)

We bought a crap-ton of chux pads - or puppy pee pads. I loved those. Sitting on them w/o bottoms was comfy and kept me from worrying about my blankets or carpet.

Bendy straws - easier than regular straws or tryin to drink from a cup. At home you're not on an IV for hydration so its important to take sips regularly especially in transition.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey
Most HB midwives have a box of birth supplies made specifically for them through a site, so I'd ask if she has one you can look up Most of the birth supplies are really for the midwife - like the clamp, gloves, iodine, ect. The things I'd recommend for supplies for you are LOTS of pads/plastic sheets/old towels (birth is messy!! ) postpartum pads, and hydrogen proxide (to take stains out of sheets, carpets.) Other than that, cool/warm packs, a yoga ball, homeopathics (smooth birthing remedy or rescue remedy) labor drink (water, emgercen-c, lemon and honey) and rubs or massage oil. I used one with clary sage in it, it helps labor progress you you could do something like that GL!
I mentioned a few times that we won't have a midwife - it will just be me, DH, the photographer and the baby! I guess I should've titled it "Tell me about your unassisted birth" since we will need *everything*! Haha. Hubby is an EMT, so he will probably be doing the "midwifery" type things like clamping the cord (we are using cord rings), etc.

Did you put the Emergen-C, lemon, and honey all into the same drink? Just curious... I like Emergen-C - raspberry and clementine - but I don't think they would taste very good all together!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Here's how our midwife had us make our bed (starting from mattress and building on top);

Mattress
Plastic mattress cover
Set of sheets
Plastic cover
Set of "throw away" sheets

That way we could just strip and toss the first layer of sheets/plastic once the labor/birth/placenta/stitching mess was done, and still have a plastic sheet underneath in case I had a postpartum pad leak. :-)

We bought a crap-ton of chux pads - or puppy pee pads. I loved those. Sitting on them w/o bottoms was comfy and kept me from worrying about my blankets or carpet.

Bendy straws - easier than regular straws or tryin to drink from a cup. At home you're not on an IV for hydration so its important to take sips regularly especially in transition.
I was planning on making the bed with plastic in between sheet sets, but didn't even think about underneath the first set! Thanks!

I saw a box of 200 chux pads or something on Amazon, and DH said, "Surely you won't use all of those!" and I said, "Well... If we don't, we can always just have more kids!" that's good logic, right? I always buy in bulk.. And figured birth supplies would be no different! Lol
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH

I was planning on making the bed with plastic in between sheet sets, but didn't even think about underneath the first set! Thanks!

I saw a box of 200 chux pads or something on Amazon, and DH said, "Surely you won't use all of those!" and I said, "Well... If we don't, we can always just have more kids!" that's good logic, right? I always buy in bulk.. And figured birth supplies would be no different! Lol
Yeah, you can go through them fast, too. We did some EC type stuff (mostly just periods of naked time to learn cues and build communication) and used them to protect carpet sometimes.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

Yeah, you can go through them fast, too. We did some EC type stuff (mostly just periods of naked time to learn cues and build communication) and used them to protect carpet sometimes.
Well, I don't know if I'm brave enough to try EC! Haha
Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH

Eh, I'm probably not even officially an EC person. ;-) At best, I'm a half-time lazy EC wannabe. We did naked time for my dd on the floor (with chx pads) while my son played alongside us. He was 3 at the time when we started. Plus both my kiddos tended to get really crazy rashes in the summer (even in cloth) so the air-time was essential. :-)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your home birth!

I've had two unassisted births and I found I used less for those births than I did during my attended home births. Many birth supplies really are for the midwife, if there is one. For example, you don't really need gloves, sterile or otherwise, to catch your own baby or do exams, etc. Interestingly enough, I didn't even end up using chux during my unassisted births, even though I had them. I just used a few towels. They're good to have anyway.

I liked having electrolyte drinks. There are recipes online or you can buy bottled drinks like Vitamin Water or sports drinks. Plain water is good, too, but it's good to drink something with electrolytes during a long labor. I think it's cool to have a way to weigh the baby. It's not strictly necessary. I didn't weigh my UC babies until they were three days old when I went in for my Rhogam. It's fun though. Arnica oil is nice for the baby if he has any molding or other birth bruising.

I guess your husband will have his EMT bag there, so he'll have the medical side of things covered. One thing my midwife had me have handy during my last birth was an oversized nightgown or long t-shirt. It gives you a quick way to cover up in case you need to transfer or to throw on after birth.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet View Post
im a little spoiled in that my mom is a homeopath, so i just shopped in her supply cabinets for everything i needed.

this guy has great deals on remedies and if you email him with your inquiry, he can probably work with you or suggest things...
http://www.bestmade.us/products.html

the brand "standard" homeopathics is probably the biggest manufacturer in the US and is sold at stores like whole foods, wegmans, and even local mom and pop health food stores. if you want i can PM you a list of remedies and their uses before, during, and after labor. there are even some for newborn issues like difficulty breathing, jaundice, etc.
Can you please pm me this list too. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved my homebirth with ds2 and am planning another one. With ds2 I had a lot of stuff but ended up using only a few towels, chux pads, a birth pool and that was really it. MW had the rest.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
I dont do EC, but I am thinking if you're brave enough for an unassisted birth, surely you're brave enough for EC!!
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote