Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

playing with play dough

We've just started making some play dough and my little girl loves it. She can easily sit and tear it apart for an hour. Of course, I have to be there to assist with making balls for her to destroy, and snakes, that become bracelets! Anyhow, since she likes to tear it into little bits it ends up all over her clothes, in her seat... How do you keep play dough neat? I don't care if the dough itself gets gross- that's inevitable, but any tips on keepinf her/her clothes neat? Is this a naked baby activity? thanks!

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is what we don't do play dough. Little bits on clothes hair and carpet. Moon sand is fun and easier to clean up imo. It makes a mess, but brushes right off of skin and clothes. I brush up what I can with my hands then vacuum up the rest.

Sent from my droid
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

We have a tray that we play on...as they get older less will get on their clothes...you made salt dough? It just wash out
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: playing with play dough

We don't do Play-Doh of any sort in our house because everything but the small kitchen (not eat-in), laundry room, and bathrooms is carpeted. We send it all to grandma's house for something special to do only there.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Naked babies on a wood floor or in the bath tub.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Hmmm, we play play dough daily and I guess I don't think it's an issue (but we don't have carpets so that may make clean up easier). We love playdough so much but I hate that it's not ecofriendly so for Christmas she's getting Eco-Kids dough, which I got to try out at a fair this summer where they were a vendor and I can't wait for her to open it. It smells so good and when it starts to dry out, you just add a little olive oil to it whereas I throw out several containers of dried up Playdough every month.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wood floors and play clothes here. I don't put them in anything nice unless we are leaving the house.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Wood floors and play clothes here. I don't put them in anything nice unless we are leaving the house.
Yep this.

Though we've never actually had a problem with playdough getting on their clothes before. It gets all over the table and sometimes on the floor, but it's so easy to wipe/sweep up when they are done it's just never been an issue. I don't even sit with them and watch when they play with it. It's an activity they do when I am busy cleaning or doing the dishes.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do moon dough.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

We play with homemade play dough a lot here, and I don't find it to be a huge mess. the little bits just dry and are easily swept up. But, we do have hard floors and I don't think I would want them to play with it on carpet.