Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
TNT46131
Registered Users
seller

Apt canceled a freak out...

My prenatal was canceled today due to a lady being in labor. I use a midwife. Because of my history of loss I was nervous going a month between apts and this was the first time we've waited a month between. Now I just want to use a Doppler to check baby even though the research I've done shows its bad (I purchased one before I did the research). I just HAVE to know baby is okay and hearing the hb would make me feel better. I just want to cry because I know it's bad, but I want to hear him/her sooo bad!

Advertisement

TNT46131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Apt canceled a freak out...

One quick check is very unlikely to do any damage. If you were using it for long periods everyday maybe, but one quick check for peace of mind isn't much risk.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
TNT46131
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB View Post
One quick check is very unlikely to do any damage. If you were using it for long periods everyday maybe, but one quick check for peace of mind isn't much risk.
That is what I was thinking too, but DH doesn't want to risk it. I'm hoping I can change his mind tonight. I'd do it while he's at work, but I know he'd be upset if he missed hearing it if we do it...
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

isnt' it going to be rescheduled soon?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
TNT46131
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
isnt' it going to be rescheduled soon?
She doesn't know when they'll be able to do it... :-(
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I would just check. Really, 5 seconds isn't going to hurt anything, mama. And it will certainly make you feel better. Stress isn't any better for the baby than listening with the doppler is.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
TNT46131
Registered Users
seller

Well, we checked. Our little one runs from it so we catch small bits of hb and can hear him/her moving so that was good. We didn't want to do it long enough for him/her to wear out/give up and just let us listen lol I still rather hear the heartbeat for a bit, that makes me feel best, but knowing she/he's moving was enough to settle my little freak out :-) thanks ladies.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um, totally off topic and thread crashing here, but what is wrong with using a doppler? Now I'm super curious.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Um, totally off topic and thread crashing here, but what is wrong with using a doppler? Now I'm super curious.
There really haven't been good studies done of the long term effects of things like doppler and ultrasound. Some people and small studies indicate they may cause harm, while others find them perfectly safe. Your best bet is to do a little research for yourself and decide what's best for you. It's definitely one of those things where you'll find tons of opinions either way, but much less concrete evidence.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
TNT46131
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB View Post
There really haven't been good studies done of the long term effects of things like doppler and ultrasound. Some people and small studies indicate they may cause harm, while others find them perfectly safe. Your best bet is to do a little research for yourself and decide what's best for you. It's definitely one of those things where you'll find tons of opinions either way, but much less concrete evidence.
There is a page on FB that has a note with a lot of sites that has the evidence. I'm not apart of it because I wouldn't say I'm completely against it. I know the evidence, ext but I'm a baby loss Momma and love to hear his/her heartbeat with the Doppler. But for those interested here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/doppler.danger
I just like to take it easy on it and side of the side of caution.