Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Contractions in the evening at 18wks?

It's my third pregnancy, I'm 18wks and I have two kids running around I try not to carry them. Today I had those contractions (of the whole uterus I think),in the evening, when the kids were asleep. A little pain in the belly too.
Never had this with my previous pregnancies.
Is this because I'm
Physically tired at the end of the day? When should I go to the ER?
DH told me to rest. So I'm in bed trying to feel I'd there's a contraction or not. It seems gone now...

Thank you! I'm so worried sometimes with this baby...

Advertisement

firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Contractions in the evening at 18wks?

I've been having braxton hicks for weeks now. They aren't PAINFuL, but noticeable... and my whole belly gets pretty tender during it. It lasts about 20 seconds... but there is no steady pattern to them, and I usually only get a few a day. They get worse if my bladder is full, or if I have not drank enough fluids. I'm 18 weeks as well.

ETA: My doctor checked my cervix a few weeks ago and there were no changes, so they definitely aren't real contractions. My WHOLE uterus gets hard as a rock.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

I always get contractions around 20 weeks through the rest of my pregnancy. Each pregnancy is different.
I HAVE noticed significantly less contractions with my current pregnancy (due in 12 days!) because I have been purposefully drinking more water. Even though I already drank a TON it just wasn't enough. On stressful days I notice I get more too...but that could be in part to not drinking enough on stressful days.
My midwife told me to have a glass of wine if my contractions were pretty painful to calm the uterus. Have you drank red raspberry leaf tea? That might help too.

Good luck!

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacandoit View Post
I always get contractions around 20 weeks through the rest of my pregnancy. Each pregnancy is different.
I HAVE noticed significantly less contractions with my current pregnancy (due in 12 days!) because I have been purposefully drinking more water. Even though I already drank a TON it just wasn't enough. On stressful days I notice I get more too...but that could be in part to not drinking enough on stressful days.
My midwife told me to have a glass of wine if my contractions were pretty painful to calm the uterus. Have you drank red raspberry leaf tea? That might help too.

Good luck!
Red wine or white wine?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Could it be just scretching? Could be A sign of u need rest.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacandoit

Good luck!
I didn't realize that I haven't drank much yesterday in the afternoon, that might explain it.
No raspberry leaf tea but I'll get some. And yes I also remember about the glass of wine. This morning it seems gone, I'm drinking water and coffee and I'll try to remember to drink more during
The day.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
Could it be just scretching? Could be A sign of u need rest.
Yes maybe also that I need a rest. DH had to go in the evening to work and I was with the kids alone, which was quite hard after the whole day too.
What do you mean by stretching?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
I've been having braxton hicks for weeks now. They aren't PAINFuL, but noticeable...

ETA: My doctor checked my cervix a few weeks ago and there were no changes, so they definitely aren't real contractions. My WHOLE uterus gets hard as a rock.
I thought Braxton hicks were only in a part of the uterus, not the WHOLE. Should I get my cervix checked? I'm going to see my doc on tues next week.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by firststella View Post
I thought Braxton hicks were only in a part of the uterus, not the WHOLE. Should I get my cervix checked? I'm going to see my doc on tues next week.
I've never heard of BH only being in part of the uterus. Mine are my entire uterus, just like a real contraction. They just aren't "real" contractions because there's no change in my cervix.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd drink more and take it easy. It's your bodies way of saying "slow down."