Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can an Ergo be repaired?

One of the shoulder straps of my Ergo ripped halfway through the fabric near where it attaches to the body of the carrier. It's not new, so I know it's not under warranty. Is there anything at all I can do to fix it, or is it just rubbish? I'm loath to attempt any amateur repairs, for the safety of my baby, but I want to be sure before this expensive item goes into the trash.

TIA!

Advertisement

BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Dylanxoxdoll
Registered Users
seller

I'd say your best bet it to take it to a seamstress and talk with them. I replaced the waist clip on mine at home. Best of luck.
Dylanxoxdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanxoxdoll
I'd say your best bet it to take it to a seamstress and talk with them. I replaced the waist clip on mine at home. Best of luck.
This / we also replaced the waist clip
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can an Ergo be repaired?

I'm not a seamstress, but I can sew. Do you think a seamstress would know about the stresses a baby carrier undergoes and the need to reinforce for safety? I'm just wondering if there are specific guidelines on how to go about this. I know I've read specific instructions and guidelines for sewing mei teis online, i.e. the type of thread to use, the weight of fabric necessary, the way to attach the straps to the body of the carrier for strength. Maybe following the guidelines for mei teis would be safe, but it would involve taking the carrier apart to make sure the strap goes into the body of the carrier for some distance and possibly constructing an entirely new strap rather than working with what's there.

Hmm... Has anyone else done something similar?
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can an Ergo be repaired?

Can you post a picture? It depends a lot on the exact placement and severity of the rip whether i'd be ok with it being repaired.