Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

Re: to circ or not to circ

Just skip it. It's not weird at all! I know plenty of families where the older one is and the younger is not. My own sister did her first son 11 years ago and regretted it from then on. She's having her second boy now and leaving him intact. Actually, her son is the only boy in the extended family who is done. (Except for the married in to the family husbands)

Advertisement

Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

We used the plastibell with my DS. I, personally, am happy with it.

Then again, I am not super-researched in that area, and I had VERY little choices.

We wanted DS circ'd (well, sort of... long story) and the ONLY person I could find ANYWHERE that would do it with pain meds used the plastibell method. Since I absolutely would not consent to having it done without pain medicine - and at the time, felt it was necessary, the plastibell it was!

My DS's circ is very loose,and we never had any issues.

I actually don't think the plastibell is as gruesome as some make it out to be. People have moles tied off to die and fall off all the time, and we did it to our cattle to steer them. It's sore, I'm sure, but I am not really that convinced that it is much more painful than having a piece of skin cut off and then the wound exposed the poo/pee all the time. Again, though, I am not super-knowledgeable on the subject. It's always best to research it yourself and decide which method you are most comfortable with.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
We used the plastibell with my DS. I, personally, am happy with it.

Then again, I am not super-researched in that area, and I had VERY little choices.

We wanted DS circ'd (well, sort of... long story) and the ONLY person I could find ANYWHERE that would do it with pain meds used the plastibell method. Since I absolutely would not consent to having it done without pain medicine - and at the time, felt it was necessary, the plastibell it was!

My DS's circ is very loose,and we never had any issues.

I actually don't think the plastibell is as gruesome as some make it out to be. People have moles tied off to die and fall off all the time, and we did it to our cattle to steer them. It's sore, I'm sure, but I am not really that convinced that it is much more painful than having a piece of skin cut off and then the wound exposed the poo/pee all the time. Again, though, I am not super-knowledgeable on the subject. It's always best to research it yourself and decide which method you are most comfortable with.
The pastibell can come loose and retighen in the wrong place poop can get stuck under it and cause infection, there are also quite a few cases of Staph with plastibell....all circs are painful. I dont believe pain is why people dont reccomend it. People dont recommend it b/c it can have so really nasy issues that go with it.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
The pastibell can come loose and retighen in the wrong place poop can get stuck under it and cause infection, there are also quite a few cases of Staph with plastibell....all circs are painful. I dont believe pain is why people dont reccomend it. People dont recommend it b/c it can have so really nasy issues that go with it.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Thankfully we didn't have any problems with it, then!

I had only seen someone talkn abt the pain with plastibell, never those issues, though that makes total sense.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

My husband and son are circ'ed, but my son who is due is February will not be. I had my first son when I was 19 years old, and I didn't research anything. I did what was commonplace at the time, and they used the plastibell method. I walked to the nursery looking for my baby after he'd been gone from my room for a long time, and I peeked in the window of the nursery entrance. He was strapped down to a board screaming by himself. I cried and cried and cried about the decision I'd made. My otherwise healthy infant was back at the hospital 2 days later because he got a terrible infection despite my METICULOUS cleaning efforts. At every pediatrician appointment, even though I retracted what was left at EVERY diaper change, the ped would pull it back even more and my child would SCREAM. It was a terrible, awful experience. Please be informed of what it involves if you choose circumcision. I was not and I regret it every single stinking day. As a pregnant and hormonal momma again, I still cry thinking about it and he's almost 8 years old.
Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen
I think it would be very normal to leave the new baby intact. It seems like more and more babies in the U.S. are intact, many of which have circumcised older siblings.
not weird at all! Actually, statistically, circ'ing is quickly becoming the "weird" thing now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2theJs
I walked to the nursery looking for my baby after he'd been gone from my room for a long time, and I peeked in the window of the nursery entrance. He was strapped down to a board screaming by himself. I cried and cried and cried about the decision I'd made. My otherwise healthy infant was back at the hospital 2 days later because he got a terrible infection despite my METICULOUS cleaning efforts. At every pediatrician appointment, even though I retracted what was left at EVERY diaper change, the ped would pull it back even more and my child would SCREAM. It was a terrible, awful experience. Please be informed of what it involves if you choose circumcision. I was not and I regret it every single stinking day. As a pregnant and hormonal momma again, I still cry thinking about it and he's almost 8 years old.
I heard a *very* similar story from a female OB in our town who was very vocal to mothers about leaving their boys intact. A friend of mine used her throughout her pregnancy/birth, heard her story, proceeded with the circumcision on HER son, and regretted it. Another best friend of mine had to hunt for a Dr that would perform a circ, which they chose to do because her husband was circ'ed. She regrets it deeply.

I don't think the status of other family members' genitalia should have any bearing on the choice you make for this child - it would just be another way (of many) in which this child will be different from Dad & older brothers! DH is circ'ed but DS is not - DH's status was never a consideration.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #27
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know many families who changed their minds between sons. One family had three circumcised boys and the fourth boy is intact. I know two other families who have one of each. And that's just in my group of acquaintances within a five mile radius!

Just to be clear, though, the Plastibell is not the only method of circumcising that has complications. All methods of circumcision have risks, including excessive bleeding or infection (either of these can kill the baby), too much skin removed, adhesions and skin bridges in the healing tissue, etc. There is no "safe" way to do a circumcision.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My brother had the Plastibell and had some issues. He didn't have any infections but the skin continued to grow forward as other mamas have mentioned. It had to be pulled back regularly. His was done about 20 years ago, though, so they may be different today. I was adamant about DS not being circ'd with one because of it. I'm always shocked by how different things seem to be regionally as our Peds use pain meds and they acted like that was the standard. My Ped also would not do the Plastibell method as he said there are too many issues with it. DH and I circ'd our DS and will circ any future sons too. We both know too many older men who weren't and had to be later because of health problems. OP, I hope you can find someone who will use a different method if it is important to you, b/c I would be very leery of the Plastibell too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea
Just to be clear, though, the Plastibell is not the only method of circumcising that has complications. All methods of circumcision have risks, including excessive bleeding or infection (either of these can kill the baby), too much skin removed, adhesions and skin bridges in the healing tissue, etc. There is no "safe" way to do a circumcision.
I disagree. There are plenty of safe ways to circumcise if a proper method is chosen and a well-trained individual is doing it. No medical procedure is ever 100% risk-free, though.

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #30
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I disagree. There are plenty of safe ways to circumcise if a proper method is chosen and a well-trained individual is doing it. No medical procedure is ever 100% risk-free, though.

I disagree with you here - there simply is no safe way to do it - even with the most highly trained mohel or urologist, and the "safest" methods, and meticulous aftercare, the risk infection, bleeding, amputation, etc is still there. As for older boys/men "having to have it done because of health problems" - most of those are unnecessary, caused by improper care - that is, it wasn't simply left alone. Sadly, despite plummeting circ rates, many doctors still tell parents that they need to retract their son's foreskin at every diaper change. This is extremely dangerous, excruciatingly painful, and leads to those infections/health problems you mentioned. The ONLY proper way to care for a natural penis is to wipe it clean, like a finger. The foreskin is tightly adhered to the penis like a fingernail is to a finger. The only person who should ever attempt to retract a boy's penis is the boy himself, when it is retractable, sometime between toddlerhood and the end of puberty. Every single doctor we saw in my son's first month of life wanted to "peek" at his urethra - just leave it alone, and make sure everyone else does. I equate the misinformation of the need for forced retraction with a doctor telling parents to douche their girls.

There is no perfectly safe way to cut off a newborn's necessary parts. All surgeries carry risks.

Last edited by Green Decals; 12-11-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote