Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
AWAARE?

After our son escaped today, and we lost him for 15 minutes before the Police found him over 1/2 a mile away, I was doing some research about Autism and wandering and came across this site:
http://www.awaare.org/faq.htm

Great information about dealing with Austism and wandering in general and I sure wish I had found it sooner!!!

We already had almost all of the safety things they suggest like the double key locks and the padlocked gate, and door alarms. What we didn't have is a secondary system in place if he did get out, like a first-responder alert form filled out for the police with a picture that was at the station so they could respond immediately with a picture in hand. Nor did we go around alerting the neighbors that we had a child with Autism who is a wanderer with our phone number and address in case they see our child wandering.

Want to know what set him off this morning on his adventure? He didn't like breakfast and was going to McDonald's to get chicken nuggets... and he actually got to McD's half a mile away!

Advertisement

rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: AWAARE?

Thanks for the link. I will share this with my brother. His daughter escaped through the window. They caught her right away but it scared them.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote