Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ear infections

DD, 33mos, has never had an ear infection. I think she might have one now, but I've never dealt w/ ear infections, so is there a good way to know for sure whether I need to take her to the doctor?

She just this week started a DC center, in the preschool room (she was in in-home settings prior). She's had a really rough week. For the first time ever, crying about wanting to go home, she's had potty accidents two of the four days, etc. Anyway, rough week. Last night, she choked on her dinner. After that, she was complaining about her mouth hurting. I probed that a little bit, & it sounded more like her throat hurt. Then she was complaining about "not liking that noise", but I couldn't figure out what noise she was talking about. Then she was pointing to her ear (only the right) & saying the noise wouldn't stop. No fever or anything, but she crawled into bed before 7, but spent the next hour fussing & crying. Oh, and she drank about 24 oz of juice & water between 6 & 7, which is unusual. Anyway, we did a couple drops of garlic oil overnight for the ear & she wasn't complaining about it in the morning, but she did NOT want to be left at "school", nothing was pleasing her, & it took for.ev.er to extricate myself to go to work. Oh, and she had a pretty bad cold w/ upper respiratory symptoms about a week & a half ago. Opinions? Do I need to be tough b/c she's just trying to not go to DC? Or do I need to get her to the doctor? Wait and see?

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear infections

I never know that my kids have ear infections. They dont' present the normal signs like tugging on ears ect. I know more by change in behavior--not sleeping well (it hurts more when the laydown), usually they have colds/respitory along with it, major change in eating habits.

I take them in and get them checked out. I would rather the dr. say nope no infection just a cold and we be on our way. Then if there is something going on that we need medicince for fine we get it.

I don't want my kids to suffer so I take them in. I have had enough ear infections as an adult and it sucks and got antiobiotics ASAP. Why on earth would I make my little child tough it out. I have never understood that advise of waiting it out.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I would wait and see. A lot of ear infections will begin to clear up on their own, usually about the time you take them to the doctor. Of course you don't want her to be in a lot of pain. But if it's the usually whiny/clingyness that comes with not feeling well, I'd be inclined to give Tylenol and wait and see. I try to give my kids antibiotics as little as possible.

You could take her in and get a prescription (since it'll be the weekend) and just wait to give it to her if she doesn't start to get better.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, ladies. Is it weird that, since she's never needed antibiotics yet, I'd like to continue to prevent their use if possible & appropriate? I mean, I'd never let her suffer b/c of that, but I tried the garlic oil to see if we could clear it up some w/o needing abx.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I know my pedi said we should have waited because meds gave her yeast. But she pulled on ears b4 so wasn't sure if reg or ear infection at first.......she was under yr old.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another thing I consider is when it is occuring. I would be more inclined to take the kids in on a Friday afternoon, specially if we were going to be gone over the weekend. I would rather know and beable to deal with it then than having to deal with the ER or an over crowded walk in clinic on the weekend.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, I'd like to get through the work day today; I have 2 client intakes this afternoon that I already rescheduled from last week when DD was sick...but I'm thinking the brand new, teeny, little-known urgent care might be a good option this evening.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am guessing that at the very least she has some fluid in her ears that is causing things to sound weird. I get really irritable when my ears are like that. They don't even have to hurt. The fact that it bothered her more when she laid down also points to her ears at least being irritated.

You also think she may have a sore throat. Since there's no fever, I would bet there's no strep either.

All that said, since it's Friday, I would want to take her in so that she doesn't end up miserable all weekend. Even if all you learn is that she has some fluid in her ears and her throat is being irritated by that post nasal drip, then you at least know and can deal with her grouchiness.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Thanks, ladies. Is it weird that, since she's never needed antibiotics yet, I'd like to continue to prevent their use if possible & appropriate? I mean, I'd never let her suffer b/c of that, but I tried the garlic oil to see if we could clear it up some w/o needing abx.
I think it's really wise to avoid the antibiotics. My daughter got bitten by a tick with lyme earlier this year and I was REALLY irritated because I didn't want to give her antibiotics. They have a lot more side effects than is acknowledged by the mainstream medical community. Not that this would happen, but my dad (who was already on immune-suppressing meds for gout) was given a strong antibiotic, and now has fourth-nerve palsy and difficulty seeing as a result of the antibiotic :/
As someone else said, they can definitely cause yeast problems. Whenever we feel any kind of infection coming on, we beef up on natural Vitamin C (not ascorbic acid) and cod liver oil.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

I think it's really wise to avoid the antibiotics. My daughter got bitten by a tick with lyme earlier this year and I was REALLY irritated because I didn't want to give her antibiotics. They have a lot more side effects than is acknowledged by the mainstream medical community. Not that this would happen, but my dad (who was already on immune-suppressing meds for gout) was given a strong antibiotic, and now has fourth-nerve palsy and difficulty seeing as a result of the antibiotic :/
As someone else said, they can definitely cause yeast problems. Whenever we feel any kind of infection coming on, we beef up on natural Vitamin C (not ascorbic acid) and cod liver oil.
Where do you get your non ascorbic acid vitamin C? Thx!
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote