Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How could i homeschool?

We have 2 children. A 3rd grader, and prek. Ds1 has never liked public school/begged me to homeschool. He has trouble keeping up with reason excels in math.
At this time I barely have time to help him with his homework.
I work full time 4 days a week 10 hour days. I told my ds I would go to 3 and we would still make t but he really didnt like the idea.
Can you homeschool only 3 days a week and keep up? Is that even a choice?

Advertisement

-::- ((.* the buzz is all about.... check out my facebook http://facebook.com/romancepartiesbypaula2
peverroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How could i homeschool?

Well, if you're working 3 days a week, then you could technically be doing school the other 4 if all you're avoiding is the days you work...and yes, you can do that. I'd probably school year-round though if I were only doing it 4 days a week.

Good luck making this decision! Homeschooling is a LOT of work but it is SO worth it in my opinion!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yea round would not bother us a bit. I was thinkingi could even get lessons ready for dh just to supervise them working on.
I really wish I could get him on board.
We have a public online school in Arkansas but still doesn't look like what I want to do
-::- ((.* the buzz is all about.... check out my facebook http://facebook.com/romancepartiesbypaula2
Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I do school 4 days a week, year round. I have a friend who is a lawyer and works FT and she uses Abeka because they have a dvd-teaching program. Her daughter loves it.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

It would be challenging, but you could do it. I think a 4 day week year round would be fine. You might not even have to do year round, but I'm not sure. We always end up with weird scheduling at our house.

Anyway, I think it'd be worth a shot, especially if you son is really wanting to give it a go.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Amandamama
Registered Users

You can educate any way you want to really.. States may give u a minimum number if hrs per year, but if u believe, like we do, that everything is educational, then meeting hours us no big deal. At one point, we homeschooled while both working full time, the kids stayed at grandmas during the day & did some typical school work there, plus lots of read alouds, books on tape, puzzles, games, computer games, art projects, gardening, bike rides, nature walks, skiing, documentary viewing, building with blocks & legos, museum visiting, etc, etc

If you're game & your child is asking, I would certainly go for it. Research some.. There ate many styles of homeschooling & different curriculums.. You don't need to be at a desk in. A text book 6 hrs a day to get a good education. Follow what your kids are interested in & it will go much better.

and join a support group locally if there is one, local homeschooled friends for you and your kids can make all the difference! plus, you can share car pooling to homeschool events & field trips. Good luck & have fun!!!
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamama View Post
You can educate any way you want to really.. States may give u a minimum number if hrs per year, but if u believe, like we do, that everything is educational, then meeting hours us no big deal. At one point, we homeschooled while both working full time, the kids stayed at grandmas during the day & did some typical school work there, plus lots of read alouds, books on tape, puzzles, games, computer games, art projects, gardening, bike rides, nature walks, skiing, documentary viewing, building with blocks & legos, museum visiting, etc, etc

If you're game & your child is asking, I would certainly go for it. Research some.. There ate many styles of homeschooling & different curriculums.. You don't need to be at a desk in. A text book 6 hrs a day to get a good education. Follow what your kids are interested in & it will go much better.

and join a support group locally if there is one, local homeschooled friends for you and your kids can make all the difference! plus, you can share car pooling to homeschool events & field trips. Good luck & have fun!!!
I agree with what was said here. You do need to document work that is completed, along with extra things, but nearly everything is educational. I mean, this morning my son was asking about how to pronounce a word, I wanted to show him how to look up in the dictionary. He knows how to use a dictionary already, but wasn't aware that it would help him pronounce words! We ended up looking at endless amounts of words, and there are times he just flips through the dictionary on his own. This is normal for him, and 100% educational. We also watch Magic School Bus episodes. I can't even tell you how much my son has learned from Dinosaur Train, reading endless amounts of books about Dinosaurs, etc.

You really need not worry about the days, the hours, etc. As long as you are "schooling" the amount of days your state requires, and you document what they are learning, it's all good

Last edited by ACSNMama; 12-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.
ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Totally doable, we use Sonlight curriculum and they even have a four day schedule option and it's still not a lot of work.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
croark
Registered Users
seller

I think you could pull off 3 day weeks. We school year round with 4 day weeks, take one week off every six weeks or so, and take the whole month of December off. I've already scheduled all of our 2013 school year and that schedule comes out with 175 school days. 180 is legally required so we'll take 5 field trips. Done.
So my guess is that you could do 3 day weeks but you won't be able to have long breaks. Your breaks would be 4 day weekends. Best bet, find out how many days are required for your state and then sit down with a calendar like I did. Start marking days until you come up with your legal number.
croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We're in Arkansas as far as I'm sure there aren't any requirements