Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane
Thanks, guys. I am soooo encouraged by this. I was feeling like I wanted to send her back to school. Like I couldn't do this. But knowing it really is ok to take a break is very reassuring.

We are just doing the basics right now. Basically reading and math. The only "extra" is that I'm trying to finish the pilgrim history with her. Yeah, pilgrims in December. And I try to get her watercolor painting out so she has art class, but really it helps me when she is occupied for half an hour.

Again, thank you. I'm afraid of letting her down and failing her in this endeavor. It's good to hear the voices of experience.
Remember...public schools take breaks too! Our school's last day of school is this Thursday, and we don't go back until January 7th, so 24 days off.

Advertisement

Last edited by rverrone11; 12-11-2012 at 12:20 AM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When we take a break like that we do only the subjects that are a struggle. Like DD will be doing math, my ker will do some phonics and my boys will work on handwriting and reading. And we use everyday experiences for learning, baking, service opportunities and organizing..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is more time off ok?

24 days off? That's awesome!!
I wish I could that but the requirements for my state are kind of strict. I'll have to make up the time we miss on weekends. We have to have 180 days, then tell them in the beginning of the year when our last day will be. I basically follow the public school's calendar because that was easiest.
Thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #14
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane
I wish I could that but the requirements for my state are kind of strict. I'll have to make up the time we miss on weekends. We have to have 180 days, then tell them in the beginning of the year when our last day will be. I basically follow the public school's calendar because that was easiest.
Wow, I didn't realize any states required an end date and 180 days. Our school goes for 140 days (Monday through Thursday for 8 hours a day). That's one reason DH never wants to teach outside of this district.

24 days off is nice...it lets us take a nice vacation to visit family over the holidays.

I'm going to continue working with my 5 year old while we are on vacation but we are just going to do a quick 10-15 minute reading lesson each day. She is just starting to really pick it up, so I want to continue the lessons. We aren't going to work on any other subjects for those 3.5 weeks.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane View Post
Don't forget to count field trips, service trips and life lesson type days. Schools have field trips, days they have parties and other such things like "field day." That really stinks you have to tell them an end date. Can you add "make up days" at the end? Our schools around here do that if there are too many snow days. Enjoy your break!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure about adding make up days. We are allowed to miss school for the same reasons as public school, like illness. But we have to file quarterly reports with what we've done.
I do count field trips and what not. We are supposed to do 5 hours a day, but sometimes there's not enough to do. However, I can count playtime and what not. So, that's a relief. This is my first year and I'm afraid of making any red flags.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm not sure about adding make up days. We are allowed to miss school for the same reasons as public school, like illness. But we have to file quarterly reports with what we've done.
I do count field trips and what not. We are supposed to do 5 hours a day, but sometimes there's not enough to do. However, I can count playtime and what not. So, that's a relief. This is my first year and I'm afraid of making any red flags.
I definitely understand that! My state isn't as strict, but it is more strict than some and it makes me nervous. I don't want to do anything to call attention to us or make them question. It's frustrating to know that some states barely have any requirements at all and then others are so strict.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

It IS frustrating.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
We are just doing the basics right now. Basically reading and math. The only "extra" is that I'm trying to finish the pilgrim history with her. Yeah, pilgrims in December. And I try to get her watercolor painting out so she has art class, but really it helps me when she is occupied for half an hour.

Again, thank you. I'm afraid of letting her down and failing her in this endeavor. It's good to hear the voices of experience.
LOL, this sounds exactly like us. My DD is 6 too and we are also studying pilgrims etc right now . And many of her math worksheets have turkey themes as well...

Seriously though, I could have written your post myself. I am feeling stressed about it, but my plan is just to go a little longer at the end of the year, or pack a little more into our less-busy weeks along the way.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are just doing a big Christmas lap book (writing that ds needs to work on), reading, and math. Our last day will be next Wednesday until the middle of January mostly because we are moving next Saturday.
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote