Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is more time off ok?

WELLLL, lemme tell ya....
this is our first year. We were doing alright, going at our own pace pretty well from August-mid Oct. THEN, our renters were suddenly moving out mid-lease, I had to find new renters from 5 hours away, And then go sign the lease. So that was a trip home, and a missed few days. Then DH took a vacay. A week off. Then I had to take the kids back to the rent house, and do about 10 days worth of work to the house. I'm talking resurfacing a flat roof, installing heaters, appliances, repairing a fence, trimming trees etc etc. No time for school altho he did get to help us work on the roof. We get home, and that Monday my Uncle unexpectedly passed. Threw us for a loop, and sent us back to Texas where we'd just left for a weekend. I didnt accomplish ANYTHING that week. Also that week found out baby #3 is on the way. At my Uncles funeral a veteran HS mom made me promise not to do any school until after Thanksgiving. She said "It doesn't matter. You need time to adjust to being pregnant, you need to let yourself grieve. You need to recover your household and prepare for Thanksgiving (company). Give yourself Grace" So I took her advice, and after Thanksgiving tried to start back up with a lighter load, but that was PG week 6 and I spent most of it on the couch. Week 7 too. We got a couple days done here and there. he's not forgotten anything, still an advanced reader. Still ahead in Math and still cant sit still for read alounds. lol. So yeah, that's where we are now. I'm feeling good enough to really get back into school work now, BUT we got the call yesterday that we're moving in less than 3 weeks. Back to Texas (YAY) and only 2 hours from my family (YAY YAY) we've not even started Christmas shopping. The house is a disaster. There is just no way to accomplish school until after we've moved. I'm hoping to move a bit faster through things and be done by the time this baby is born (Late July) So my little break has turned into a summer in the winter. I'm ok with it. The state doesnt care as long as we have a certain amount of days in attendance, but no cut off dates or anything like that. I'm sure this reads like a book. It's first grade. A GOOD solid reading foundation, a solid math foundation, writing sentences etc. The rest will work itself out. :shrug:

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We take frequent breaks. I think they're necessary. We go on a year -round schedule even though the schools in our town are not year round.

This gives us (usually) a month or 2 on and then 2 weeks off.

However, Iowa has pretty lax laws. We're only required to have 144 days and we can do those however we want. I have my son do a bit of additional work M-Th and then we always take Friday off...but I still count it as a school day. I have a specific amount of work we need to finish each week, if we get that done by Thursday then there is no need to go on Friday
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow! jaimejo, you've been super busy.
I've thought about a year round schedule but since it was the first year, and we have to balance the fact that my son is in public school, it seemed best to keep up with the public school system. Next year, I'm sure I could do a year round schedule, I just have to let the school district know that is my plan.
Anyway, we have been doing some "light" work. We are working on counting by 2s instead of her math workbook. We've been reading Christmas books and working on the differences in short vowel sounds (which is one little book we read over and over), instead of her hooked on phonics. My mom has been doing her science for about a month and is keeping up with that. And I am making sure she is writing a little bit each day since we started that workbook late this year.
I think just mentally saying, it's going to be ok if we miss a day, made me feel better. I know January we can catch up.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you thought of alternative means of "school"? Right now my daughter is studying science. How? She's watching MythBusters. We've done other non-traditional schooling things, like going on a nature walk or making up our own stories together. Even playing board games can be educational if you choose the right games. You might be able to fill in that time with fun and easy stuff instead of traditional things because you need the break and don't want to do the make-up time.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

She loves mythbusters! i didn't think of that. thank you! and yes, we've been playing games. since i relaxed about it, we've actually been doing ok.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote