Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels
My Mood:
Re: My Autistic child will not stay in his carseat...

Originally Posted by Aub's View Post
OMG I think that just may do the trick, I think I am going to have to get one and give it a go. Thank you so much
np hope it works out well for u.

I'm a proud sahm mom 4boys & 1girlWife to my Dh Were a, erf, hs, loving family. enjoying our jurney in life!
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Aub's View Post
Does that make it so that he's out of the carseat though? That would scare me seeing as he's still so young and so small.
The harness is the car seat. I haven't looked up crash testing but I imagine the drawbacks will be the same as those older built in car seats that minivans used to come with.

In case of an accident if your child were to panic and become combative it would make it harder for the firemen/police officer to extract him because they can't cut the car seat out and remove child and car seat together which if I remember correctly is the preferred method for quick removal in such situations. Unless he was in the middle I imagine a side impact would be more dangerous (how much more whether a small percentage or a large percentage I don't know) since there wouldn't be a physical shell around his body to help absorb the impact of metal crumpling inwards. If I remember the postings about it online it will require permanent alteration of your vehicle but I can't remember what the alterations were you would have to look that part up.

This is considered one of the ultimate escape proof car safety devices so despite the drawbacks it is preferable safety wise to a child that constantly takes his/her seat belt off. A car accident only takes seconds and there may not be a forewarning so pulling the car over frequently and making them put their seat belt back on is just not a reliable way to keep your child safe not to mention the driver distraction aspect which would probably make you more prone to being in an accident.

In your shoes I would probably try the Houdini Stop first and then if that fails move onto something more foolproof like the EZ on Vest with the buckle guard. My personal experience won't count in this because my son used the EZ on medical Vest (a different vest the manufacturer makes) which I am not even sure you can buy outside of a hospital. His neurosurgeon wouldn't discharge him until the insurance paid for his vest because transporting him upright was just that risky.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Registered Users
Location: Cali Born and Raised But Transplanted To Albany Oregon...
My Mood:

Ok so after much thought about this product;

it came to me last night while I was reading that I could make that so that is what I did. I used an old t-shirt and a zipper so now we are using that. He has only been in it once and that was for our 1am trip to go get dad from work so he was sleeping so today will be the real test.

I am a bit worried cause it was not standard for the car seat but it has to be better than him sitting with his arms out of the straps. I can't pull over every second to put him back in. If I did we would never make it out of the driveway. I thought that facing him forward might put an end to it but he's still doing the same thing.

I am hoping that this will work for us till tax time and we can try to find a seat that will work for him.
Aubree, Proud Mama To 7 Little Hellion's, Wife To My Sexy Baker Tyler Crunchy, Tattooed, Pierced, Dreddy, Baby Wearing, Extended Rear Facing, AP Parenting, Circumcising, No Longer Vaxing, Mama To An Autistic/ADHD Boy And Dam Proud Of It
Aub's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Registered Users
I found that pulling the straps slighty tighter made it extremely difficult for my son to pull his arms out. He's not on the spectrum but has sensory processing dysfunction and hated his carseat for a couple years.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by mekat View Post
I don't know how old he is but you could use this vest with this buckle guard. I had to a use a similar vest for my son when he was five and had a healing incision in his spinal column (in our case we used it because he had to lay flat in the car. He couldn't be upright until the incision healed enough the cerebral spinal fluid wouldn't leak out).
This is what we use and what I was going to suggest. I couldn't keep our son I a Carseat as long as I would have liked, he was just all over the place. It's got to be safer to use that than for him to be roaming around unbuckled.
Tara Joyfully serving Yeshua, Happy helpmeet to my dear husband J, Blessed momma to: J - 15, M - 13, D - 10, R - 3, M - 7/31/12 and praying for more!
marliah is offline   Reply With Quote