Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #111
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,611
Re: My first bad WIC experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
Sliding scale fee. Plus many large hospitals have charity care programs. There's help out there you just have to ask.
Did you read my post? sometimes, the cost for a doctor's visit is more than you get in groceries.

Advertisement

harmoni247 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #112
MandaMommy2's Avatar
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 615
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247

Did you read my post? sometimes, the cost for a doctor's visit is more than you get in groceries.
Sorry for your troubles. I must be fortunate to have a very generous pediatrician. When we've had insurance lapses in the past the nurses just fax the paperwork I need because they knew we couldn't afford the visit. It almost sounds like the Wic office I'd messing with you because my son needed special milk and we only needed a doctors note every every six months I believe. Maybe you could look into a different Wic office. You might also want to contact the state that runs your Wic program because I don't think you are being treated fairly.
MandaMommy2 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #113
MandaMommy2's Avatar
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 615
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b

I meant is as what if your child needs the lactose free or other dairy substitute but doesn't have insurance so a script can't be faxed in. WIC should provide alternatives without a doctors note, seriously, it's milk.
Maybe for milk they could make an exception your right because the cost is minimal. But I know for formula they will not budge because the cost of special formulas can be double. I've personally just never had an issue getting a note from our doctor with or without insurance. There have been timed where we've had an insurance lapse and I told them that I couldn't come in to the office and they just sent the note anyway. I guess I'm just lucky to have such a great Ped.
MandaMommy2 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #114
MommaLEB's Avatar
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 546
My Mood:
Re: My first bad WIC experience

As far as the well visits, I know our county health department office fills out WIC forms for free.
__________________
Wife to E 10-29-05.
Mom to tougHGirl L 5-4-10
tougHGuy B 5-1-13

MommaLEB is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #115
jackkant's Avatar
jackkant
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 1,232
My Mood:
Re: My first bad WIC experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB View Post
As far as the well visits, I know our county health department office fills out WIC forms for free.
What?! They don't do that here, or at least the worker I spoke with didn't say anything about it. She was telling me about things, and when I told her that neither my children or I had a doctor, she was like "well, the doctors here aren't taking patients, so I don't know what you should do". Gee, thanks lady. D: Between that, my husband's grumpiness, and the obnoxious nutrition classes, I was on WIC for less than a month. Just not worth it.
__________________
Mama to Saffron (10/29/07), Corwin (12/16/09) and Osric (5/7/12)

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #116
MandaMommy2's Avatar
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 615
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB
As far as the well visits, I know our county health department office fills out WIC forms for free.
My county does this as well. I've found that often programs like this aren't widely advertised but that you have to ask around. Where I live we have what's called 211 lifeline where you can call for referrals for services you might need.
MandaMommy2 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #117
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,754
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247

Wic isn't food stamps; it's not for people only in financial need (if that were the case, it wouldn't stop when you child turns 5, whether your income has improved or not). It's a nutrition program. Or at least, it's supposed to be, (whether they've carried that out effectively is an entirely different subject.) It's intended to help new parents learn healthy eating habits for their children and to assist people in affording more nutritious foods than they would have bought otherwise.....families who are on the lower end of income levels, and might have to budget their grocery bills to the point that they don't experiment with an unknown nutritious food, but not so poor they can't afford to feed their families. Or families who wouldn't normally purchase those "healthy" foods, but will buy them and use them if they're given to them for free. They also mandate nutrition classes and doctor well-visits. If a family is so financially burdened that they can't provide food for their children without WIC, food stamps should be footing the majority of that bill.

Your attitude in this sentence is exactly the reason people look down on those who use the program.
WIC has nothing to do with helping people try new foods. If that were their goal, it would be a luxury use of tax dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

I think you intentionally twisted her words. I would agree that I wonder if the requirements are too liberal if people who qualify don't use the program because it is toomuch of a hassle.
I think wic is one of the best food supplement programs out there, but I agree that the requirements are far too liberal if the government aid is able to be a choice for a family. IMO, government assistance is for dire, no other alternative type situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae
Iowa sucks for WIC. They offer soy only other than cows milk, store brand everything (except formula, of course) like 3 types of cereal (well this just changed to 5 I think), and only new moms get cheese. It's sorta a bummer. Our wonderful gov gutted the funding...
This is the attitude that irks people when it comes to government assistance. They only offer you 3 or 5 types of cereal, two milk options, you have to *gasp* eat store brands and the cheese option is only for certain circumstances. Good grief--really? You think the program sucks because the free food doesn't have more options?
__________________
Many things to many people.
soonerfan is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #118
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,884
Re: My first bad WIC experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
WIC has nothing to do with helping people try new foods. If that were their goal, it would be a luxury use of tax dollars.

I think wic is one of the best food supplement programs out there, but I agree that the requirements are far too liberal if the government aid is able to be a choice for a family. IMO, government assistance is for dire, no other alternative type situations.

This is the attitude that irks people when it comes to government assistance. They only offer you 3 or 5 types of cereal, two milk options, you have to *gasp* eat store brands and the cheese option is only for certain circumstances. Good grief--really? You think the program sucks because the free food doesn't have more options?
Yes, yes it does. If a family is eating frozen chicken nuggets with soda and WIC enables/encourages them to try cooking a pot of beans with some cheese broken into it and a cup of milk, it has done its job and done it well.

WIC is not government assistance. It's a food nutrition program that saves MAYBE $50/month. At some point, you have to decide how much work to put into it to make it worth it, or how much money and time. If you're paying doctors for co-pays to get milk your family can actually drink or you're spending a day off of work to go to a WIC appointment because that's all they have available, it doesn't stay worth it.

And you know what? If WIC tells me ANY brand of bread is supposed to be okay and a store will only allow me to get the unhealthiest brand with extra additives, then yes, I'm going to have an issue with that store's decisions. If two of the three cereals allowed are sugary cereals (seriously, Dora cereal is on our approved list), I'm going to be annoyed. I'm still thankful that I got free cereal and we love Cheerios so we just get a lot of that but I don't want my kids eating pure sugar and I don't like that it is an option. I understand that other people do use it as a treat for their kids and I get that, so I don't make a formal letter to the WIC officials, but I'm allowed my feelings.

Being on WIC does not mean I give up my dignity or have to bow down in gratitude because I got a free crust of bread.
themamageek is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #119
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,754
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne

Yes, yes it does. If a family is eating frozen chicken nuggets with soda and WIC enables/encourages them to try cooking a pot of beans with some cheese broken into it and a cup of milk, it has done its job and done it well.

WIC is not government assistance. It's a food nutrition program that saves MAYBE $50/month. At some point, you have to decide how much work to put into it to make it worth it, or how much money and time. If you're paying doctors for co-pays to get milk your family can actually drink or you're spending a day off of work to go to a WIC appointment because that's all they have available, it doesn't stay worth it.

And you know what? If WIC tells me ANY brand of bread is supposed to be okay and a store will only allow me to get the unhealthiest brand with extra additives, then yes, I'm going to have an issue with that store's decisions. If two of the three cereals allowed are sugary cereals (seriously, Dora cereal is on our approved list), I'm going to be annoyed. I'm still thankful that I got free cereal and we love Cheerios so we just get a lot of that but I don't want my kids eating pure sugar and I don't like that it is an option. I understand that other people do use it as a treat for their kids and I get that, so I don't make a formal letter to the WIC officials, but I'm allowed my feelings.

Being on WIC does not mean I give up my dignity or have to bow down in gratitude because I got a free crust of bread.
Wic is government assistance. It is a supplemental food program, funded by the government, designed to help low income families meet basic nutritional needs. Why does calling it what it is upset people?

Yes, of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but you contradict yourself. You cite it as a means to get people to try healthier foods, but then you critique what they say is healthy. WIC says their goal is to provide foods high in nutrition, along with education, to those in need. Beans, eggs, peanut butter, cheese, milk and grains are cheap, filling foods that maximize nutritional dollars available for the program and are tolerated by the majority--this is why they are on the program. I think WIC did an excellent job of designing a program to meet some of the basic needs of the majority who qualify.

That said, what I (and maybe others) am saying is that if you can afford to turn down the wic options because you think they contain too much sugar (or whatever other reason), then perhaps the income limits are too high, as I believe government assistance should only be available to those with no other options. It isn't meant to be a buffet type program that takes into account every person's preferences.
__________________
Many things to many people.

Last edited by soonerfan; 12-09-2012 at 11:27 AM.
soonerfan is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #120
KaleidoscopeEyes's Avatar
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 14,774
My Mood:
Re: My first bad WIC experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
Wic is government assistance. It is a supplemental food program, funded by the government, designed to help low income families meet basic nutritional needs. Why does calling it what it is upset people?
thats what i'd lke to know


wel·fare

3.
financial or other assistance to an individual or family from a city, state, or national government:
__________________
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.