Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #141
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: My first bad WIC experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
i consider the EIC we get every year as welfare. ive paid $58 this year in federal and we'll get back $8500 and im only claiming 3 of my kids
That's wild. At 40 hours a week, that's like getting an after tax raise of $4/hour. I imagine it is very difficult to get out of the circumstances that allow this large EIC. Not many people can successfully get a new job with that much of an increase in income.

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #142
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
And, there was some speculation that, if people can't be bothered to go to the effort of partipating, then perhaps the limits are set too high. For example, our family does not qualify. But, if the limits allowed us to participate, we likely wouldn't because it wouldn't be worth the hassle when we can afford to buy the items that WIC would otherwise provide.
Hmm. I think what you were saying before was not coming across the way you meant it to.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #143
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, WIC is income based-poverty level for the number of children in your household. In my case my daughter(20months) is allergic to food. She has to be on a special formula that costs $938.00 per month. That's right a month! That was only for 2 months then she got a NG tube and her insurance now provides the formula since it's her sole source of nutrition. Luckily since stores do not carry it and it's by order only I picked it up at the WIC office.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #144
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne View Post
Hmm. I think what you were saying before was not coming across the way you meant it to.
What exactly did I write that isn't coming across the way I mean it? I am happy to further explain something I wrote if I am unclear.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #145
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
WIC is a benefit to help a segment of the population get nutrition when they most need it. Pregnant women and children, have important nutritional needs during those early years. WIC is designed to help meet those needs at those specific times. It is funded by tax dollars. It is a welfare program. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, in fact I think its great. It ensures that nutritional items are available to help create strong bodies during important developmental times. These strong bodies can then grow up with a hope of becoming a productive tax paying member of society.

When you (proverbial, not directed at any one person) are receiving taxpayer money in whatever form, yes, taxpayers are going to have opinions on how you spend it. When the government is squawking about raising my taxes, and I see people figuring out how to work the system, it makes me sick. When I hear about women who quit their jobs, with a plan to receive welfare (money from the government that you didn't earn) OF ANY SORT, to subsidize this decision, it makes me sick. These programs are supposed to be a safety net, and not another option.

I sympathize with the families who are working their hardest to meet their own needs and just need a little extra help to make it. I am happy these programs are in place to make their lives a little easier.
When I hear the double standard that says wealthy mothers are noble for looking out for their children's best interest when they stay at home but poor mothers are a disgrace to society, it makes me sick.

When I think about a family missing out on healthy food because a parent couldn't face the exhaustion and humiliation of a cashier haggling over their WIC entitlements in full view and earshot of other customers, it makes me sick.

As a taxpayer, I want to know that my tax dollars are reaching as many people who can use them as possible. It makes me sick to think of men, women and children in this country going without healthy food when it could be readily available for them. As a taxpayer, it makes me sick to think about people in this country who are viewed with distaste and distrust by their fellow citizens because they are poorer.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #146
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
who on this thread said people on welfare was a waste of society?
its the vibe i get on these types of threads when i read them. idk. mabe i read into what the ppl post a lil too much mabe i should stay out of thees threads since they make my blood boil.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #147
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I don't recall reading any judgment that people who use these programs are a waste on society. Several people stated some simple facts about WIC and the fact that it is a government assistance program. I know that it upsets some people to think of it this way, but that is what it is. Sure, it's not a broad - buy whatever you want - program like SNAP. But, nonetheless it is a form of welfare.

And, there was some speculation that, if people can't be bothered to go to the effort of partipating, then perhaps the limits are set too high. For example, our family does not qualify. But, if the limits allowed us to participate, we likely wouldn't because it wouldn't be worth the hassle when we can afford to buy the items that WIC would otherwise provide.
it dont bother me aney bit its a welfare program.just the way ppl perceve ppl on these programs that bother me a make me feek like crap. moving on from that. the reason why the limits r set so high is cuz the workers rely on the amount of ppl who particapate in this program for the gov funding. the gov funding not only provides the $ for the program,wic checks, ect....but also the ppl who work for wic. the less ppl on wic the less $ they get. wich means ppl who work for wic will start to loose there jobs. thats why the min limits r sooo high.so not only is it providing help for familys who need it but also jobs too. this is how is was exsplaned to me from my wic office. im not sure if its the same everywhere elese.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #148
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum

When I hear the double standard that says wealthy mothers are noble for looking out for their children's best interest when they stay at home but poor mothers are a disgrace to society, it makes me sick.

When I think about a family missing out on healthy food because a parent couldn't face the exhaustion and humiliation of a cashier haggling over their WIC entitlements in full view and earshot of other customers, it makes me sick.

As a taxpayer, I want to know that my tax dollars are reaching as many people who can use them as possible. It makes me sick to think of men, women and children in this country going without healthy food when it could be readily available for them. As a taxpayer, it makes me sick to think about people in this country who are viewed with distaste and distrust by their fellow citizens because they are poorer.
It makes me sick when I see people who choose to be stay at home parents on the backs of hardworking individuals who perhaps realize that in order to have children, they'd need to sacrifice the dream of staying at home, so as to be able to meet the needs of the children they chose to bring into the world.

I'm happy for my tax dollars to help support those who have fallen on hard times. I'm appalled that there are those (and I see welfare mentioned here often as a means to make ends meet when one chooses to continue to have kids or become a stay at home mom), who use it as a means to support a lifestyle choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms5angels
it dont bother me aney bit its a welfare program.just the way ppl perceve ppl on these programs that bother me a make me feek like crap. moving on from that. the reason why the limits r set so high is cuz the workers rely on the amount of ppl who particapate in this program for the gov funding. the gov funding not only provides the $ for the program,wic checks, ect....but also the ppl who work for wic. the less ppl on wic the less $ they get. wich means ppl who work for wic will start to loose there jobs. thats why the min limits r sooo high.so not only is it providing help for familys who need it but also jobs too. this is how is was exsplaned to me from my wic office. im not sure if its the same everywhere elese.
What you described is the very epitome of government waste. High income limits so more people qualify so more people have a job serving those who qualify due to the high limits versus a true need is exactly the sort of pork our government needs less of. Of course, in my humble opinion.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #149
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moms5angels
Are you posting from your phone? I can barely read/understand your post, lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #150
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind_Selector
I read them every time on here and think to myself "where are these people going to do their WIC that they get treated like this?" Well it must be my not so friendly ghetto fab Winn Dixie!
I had my trip perfectly planned to where I could get a weeks worth of groceries for less than $20. Rice, beans, bread, fruits & veggies, cereal, milk. peanut butter and I would only have to buy a couple packs of meat(with coupons). Well they messed that up.
I went to the register ready with my store coupons, manufacturer coupons, and WIC checks. To start they tried to refuse to enter my Winn Dixie rewards card because it was a WIC transaction. That goes against WIC policy. My $20 limit was dependent on the use of my card. I explained to the cashier (who hates me by the way because I follow the WIC rules and sign AFTER the amount is written in as the check says to do) that all stores sales and promotions are to be used for WIC customers too. So she scans it reluctantly. Then comes the real trouble. Cheerios are BOGO free. So I choose one regular cheerios, one caramel cheerios which are both WIC approved. Then I have 2 boxes of honey nut cheerios which are not. If you scan the WIC approved item first then the non WIC it should go through. They don't have their system set right. She called the manager over and even she refused to honor the sale. They kept telling me I can't get because it is not WIC approved. I showed them where it states directly on the back of the check the free items do not have to be WIC eligible. It says it! ON THE CHECK! And the manager still refused to honor it. She said she can't just give stuff away for free. I suggested scanning the WIC approved and letting me take the items I chose. WIC says it's ok but it's just their system not set up to recognize it. Again with the free comment? She very rudely said to just go back and get the right kind. I tried to show her the check and she stood with her arms crossed looking another direction. When I asked for the name of her superior she told me to call the number on the receipt and walked away.
So I caved. Gave up. Relented and let the evil forces win because O was in the store with 3 kids and just wanted to gethome to enjoy the rest of my day off. But it didn't end there. The cashier who was doing my transactions was goin on break so I had to change lanes. The new cashier once again refused to scan my Winn Dixie card. When she did and we got to the cereal (all WIC approved now) she wouldn't scan them as free because all of the boxes together would be over the allowed 36 oz. I started to explain that the free items don't count towards the total amount but I started to get teary eyed and all choked up. So again I gave up.
I will be reporting this to both WIC and the corporate Winn Dixie not that it will do any good.
I did "accidentally" spill an entire bottle of crappy $1 juice product on the floor before we left. Then of course I felt bad after I left thinking someone might slip
That is ridiculous. I would be upset also, but I wouldn't have spilled juice on the floor. Not the best manners and it doesn't set a good example for your kids.

I can't believe Honey Nut Cheerios aren't WIC approved. : headscratch:

Sorry you had to deal with idiots.
Closed Thread