Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #31
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It stinks that they weren't nicer when explaining why their system wouldn't accept the transaction with the approved items.

However, your response to knowingly let juice spill a trail all over their floor far exceeds on the rudeness scale (and knowing it was leaking everywhere and saying "f it, let them clean it" was a deliberate, purposeful decision).

Twin kristi--I think there are likely plenty of people who have not spitefully created a mess that someone could slip in because they were upset. I honestly do not consider it to be a huge positive that someone has NOT acted like a jerk out of spite--I expect people, especially adults, to make better choices. Conversely, it shocks the heck out of me that you expect the majority of the people in this thread to have acted similarly at some point.

Advertisement

Last edited by soonerfan; 12-06-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #32
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We are not allowed to do the bogo here either.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sorry that happened to you. I have Wic checks too. I didn't even know they had debit cards. I hate when I'm in the check out and cashiers and customers alike sigh and groan. For this reason I only do my Wic transactions at Wegmans or tops ( I live in western NY) because only managers are allowed to cash out Wic transactions because I've had similar bad experiences with arguments over rice and cheese. Omg rice and cheese!!! Anytime there was an issue with a check at either store I just showed them in the book where I was allowed to get the items. That being said I have never tried to use coupons or b1 g1 deals but i always use my bonus cards. I'll have to keep an eye out for sales and give it a try. I'm actually going to Wic next week for a check pickup do ill ask them about it. Although even though I prefer Wegmans I had a bad experience there with my food stamps. The food stamp system was down but there was no sign posted and the cashier humiliated me by yelling over to the manager that the machine was working and I didn't have any money to pay because I have food stamps. I didn't go back for a month but I did send my husband back to purchase our groceries and complain to customer service and I've never seen that idiot cashier again.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My first bad WIC experience

I use to have wic when my son was little. One thing I noticed is that the 32oz juice is often more expensive than the 64oz juice. I'm not talking per oz... I'm talking total! Why?...because it is a Wic item. The stores often make a lot of money off WIC because they can mark up the cost of those items/sizes and a person using Wic is not going to complain. I think that is why certain sizes of cereal are also more expensive.

Wic has changed a lot since back then. We never got fruit or veggies. It was just milk, cereal, cheese, tuna (while pregnant), peanut butter (starting at age 1), juice (Before age 1... they were the gerber 4 oz kind that you could just put a regular size baby bottle ring and nipple on. After age 1, you got 32oz bottles.) and formula.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #35
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #36
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never used wic, but the thing that stuck out to me was...They let you buy caramel cheerios, but not honey nut? Why? Are Caramel Cheerios really better for you than honeynut? I could see them saying only plain cheerios, but to allow one sugared kind but not the other just seems wierd to me.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #37
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
I've never used wic, but the thing that stuck out to me was...They let you buy caramel cheerios, but not honey nut? Why? Are Caramel Cheerios really better for you than honeynut? I could see them saying only plain cheerios, but to allow one sugared kind but not the other just seems wierd to me.
I didn't know that you could get caramel Cheerios but I know that you can buy frosted mini wheats in any brand but you are only allowed to buy one brand of regular unfrosted but no stores seem to carry them. You also are not allowed to buy fruit packed in light syrup but can buy fruit packed in Splenda. Oh and the only brand of oatmeal allowed is maypo. I'm not sure that surgery mess qualifies as oatmeal. I personally buy regular Cheerios and quacker oatmeal squares because they seem the most nutritional and tasty to me. Some other healthy cereals are corn flakes puffed rice and kic but there's not much to them and they don't keep you full do why bother. I was told that the reason you are only allowed to buy certain foods is because those companies have a contract with the government and they get a subsidy. So basically even one has there hand in the cookie car. The company gets a tax break and the store jacks up the prices. I wish the restrictions were more lenient so I could get some better foods. I'm currently dealing with a breastfeed infant with severe food allergies so my son and husband are eating most of the food from my Wic checks. It makes it so I can spend our money to buy some worried of the special foods I need but it would be nice if I could just get what I needed not what the government thinks is good enough for me.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #38
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

It varies by state which brands are allowed.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
It stinks that they weren't nicer when explaining why their system wouldn't accept the transaction with the approved items.

However, your response to knowingly let juice spill a trail all over their floor far exceeds on the rudeness scale (and knowing it was leaking everywhere and saying "f it, let them clean it" was a deliberate, purposeful decision).

Twin kristi--I think there are likely plenty of people who have not spitefully created a mess that someone could slip in because they were upset. I honestly do not consider it to be a huge positive that someone has NOT acted like a jerk out of spite--I expect people, especially adults, to make better choices. Conversely, it shocks the heck out of me that you expect the majority of the people in this thread to have acted similarly at some point.
I pride myself on being a very good person of integrity but if I was in the situation with three kids (they could have been bahaving perfectly or not...we don't know) and simply trying not to burst into tears from being treated like a lesser person I can definitely see myself feeling like reporting the spilled juice something i could not mentally/emotionally deal with at that moment. I don't think anyone is saying it was the "right" thing to do but I really don't think at the time it was out of spite (again, I don't know b/c I wasn't there, hence the not judging the situation), more out of "OMG I have to get out of here or I'm going to break down". While it wasn't the right hting to do that doesn't mean that the little fist pump of vengeance towards those who wronged her isn't going to exist just a little bit. She felt bad, which implies that she would in a circumstance where she was less overwhelmed probably have gone back and said something.

...or she could just be a spiteful jerk. B/c things are usually black and white like that.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #40
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
I pride myself on being a very good person of integrity but if I was in the situation with three kids (they could have been bahaving perfectly or not...we don't know) and simply trying not to burst into tears from being treated like a lesser person I can definitely see myself feeling like reporting the spilled juice something i could not mentally/emotionally deal with at that moment. I don't think anyone is saying it was the "right" thing to do but I really don't think at the time it was out of spite (again, I don't know b/c I wasn't there, hence the not judging the situation), more out of "OMG I have to get out of here or I'm going to break down". While it wasn't the right hting to do that doesn't mean that the little fist pump of vengeance towards those who wronged her isn't going to exist just a little bit. She felt bad, which implies that she would in a circumstance where she was less overwhelmed probably have gone back and said something.

...or she could just be a spiteful jerk. B/c things are usually black and white like that.
Agree- I would have been beyond frazzled if I were in the same situation with my three kids- behaving or not it is very hard to keep an eye on three little ones while having an involved conversation with a cashier. Add onto that the stigma many already feel when using WIC and the attention brought to you when it seems as if everyone and their mother in the store is getting involved in your transaction. If some juice was trickling from my cart I would have left it too because after being treated rudely and talked down to I would have just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible and never go back.

I worked at a grocery store when I was in high school and truthfully, I hated doing WIC transactions because the way they were set up so so complicated. I never once let customers know how I felt (I never hated them, just the convoluted way I had to process everything) and was always very helpful and understanding even when they did get the wrong sizes, etc.