Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #41
anniekins1488
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My first bad WIC experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
I didn't know that you could get caramel Cheerios but I know that you can buy frosted mini wheats in any brand but you are only allowed to buy one brand of regular unfrosted but no stores seem to carry them. You also are not allowed to buy fruit packed in light syrup but can buy fruit packed in Splenda. Oh and the only brand of oatmeal allowed is maypo. I'm not sure that surgery mess qualifies as oatmeal. I personally buy regular Cheerios and quacker oatmeal squares because they seem the most nutritional and tasty to me. Some other healthy cereals are corn flakes puffed rice and kic but there's not much to them and they don't keep you full do why bother. I was told that the reason you are only allowed to buy certain foods is because those companies have a contract with the government and they get a subsidy. So basically even one has there hand in the cookie car. The company gets a tax break and the store jacks up the prices. I wish the restrictions were more lenient so I could get some better foods. I'm currently dealing with a breastfeed infant with severe food allergies so my son and husband are eating most of the food from my Wic checks. It makes it so I can spend our money to buy some worried of the special foods I need but it would be nice if I could just get what I needed not what the government thinks is good enough for me.
Yes, it's really a shame that programs to help people, especially women, infants, and children (WIC) are riddled with corruption. That's our government for you...

Advertisement

Swag with me! I earn $25 in Amazon gift cards every month with very little effort! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Anniekins1488
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #42
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething

I pride myself on being a very good person of integrity but if I was in the situation with three kids (they could have been bahaving perfectly or not...we don't know) and simply trying not to burst into tears from being treated like a lesser person I can definitely see myself feeling like reporting the spilled juice something i could not mentally/emotionally deal with at that moment. I don't think anyone is saying it was the "right" thing to do but I really don't think at the time it was out of spite (again, I don't know b/c I wasn't there, hence the not judging the situation), more out of "OMG I have to get out of here or I'm going to break down". While it wasn't the right hting to do that doesn't mean that the little fist pump of vengeance towards those who wronged her isn't going to exist just a little bit. She felt bad, which implies that she would in a circumstance where she was less overwhelmed probably have gone back and said something.

...or she could just be a spiteful jerk. B/c things are usually black and white like that.
Agreed! I wouldn't generally do something like that, but I could definitely see it happening if you are at your wits end with a bunch of kids.

To op: we have had similar things happen when trying to use wic. It's a huge bummer that some stores aren't cooperative. Our wic office tells us the most cooperative store to go to and they encourage us to use the store sales in conjunction with the wic benefits.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #43
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've never used wic but was really pissed off a few weeks ago at my local walmart. The customer in front of me was getting a lot of groceries and seemed to be doing some complicated transactions. Basically I was tuned out of the whole thing and just waiting my turn. The clerk took this opportunity to yell out to her check out line "sorry it's taking so long, it's WIC!!!"

Really??? Was that necessary? Btw in Oregon, they use a debit card and it didn't seem to help the check out clerk, she kept looking at some booklet the whole time.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #44
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
It stinks that they weren't nicer when explaining why their system wouldn't accept the transaction with the approved items.

However, your response to knowingly let juice spill a trail all over their floor far exceeds on the rudeness scale (and knowing it was leaking everywhere and saying "f it, let them clean it" was a deliberate, purposeful decision).

Twin kristi--I think there are likely plenty of people who have not spitefully created a mess that someone could slip in because they were upset. I honestly do not consider it to be a huge positive that someone has NOT acted like a jerk out of spite--I expect people, especially adults, to make better choices. Conversely, it shocks the heck out of me that you expect the majority of the people in this thread to have acted similarly at some point.
Not exactly what I meant... But take it as you will. I'm simply saying to move on, she can't go back and change it or I'm sure she would. Why keep focusing in it?
I've never spilled juice all over the floor knowingly and just left it, for any reason, and do not condone it. I think there's plenty of people who have handled a situation differently then they would if they could go back and think about it first. That's all.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #45
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
I pride myself on being a very good person of integrity but if I was in the situation with three kids (they could have been bahaving perfectly or not...we don't know) and simply trying not to burst into tears from being treated like a lesser person I can definitely see myself feeling like reporting the spilled juice something i could not mentally/emotionally deal with at that moment. I don't think anyone is saying it was the "right" thing to do but I really don't think at the time it was out of spite (again, I don't know b/c I wasn't there, hence the not judging the situation), more out of "OMG I have to get out of here or I'm going to break down". While it wasn't the right hting to do that doesn't mean that the little fist pump of vengeance towards those who wronged her isn't going to exist just a little bit. She felt bad, which implies that she would in a circumstance where she was less overwhelmed probably have gone back and said something.

...or she could just be a spiteful jerk. B/c things are usually black and white like that.
This is almost exactly right. I was nearly in TEARS just trying to get some cereal.
But today is a new day and I am over it.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #46
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The WIC in mississippi has a location that you go and pick up your food. A nutritionist chooses your options and you just pick it up. They seriously load you up with stuff and you have to take everything they give you. This seems like a better choice for states!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #47
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I wonder if it has to do with the way that the store does its B1G1. For example, my local grocery does a traditional B1G1 for meat. You buy one steak/chicken/etc. and you get one of equal or lesser value for free. However, for groceries, the B1G1 is actually a 50% off sale. You do not have to get 2 in order to get the price. If you buy 1 box of cereal on a B1G1, you pay 1/2 of the price and you don't have to get a second one. In that circumstance, I would think you would not be able to get a second one with WIC because the 2nd one isn't actually free.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #48
crunch!910
Registered Users

I've had countless bad experiences. It's to the point that I only get the things I know will go through on the checks. I don't bother with bread anymore at all, because they always tell me it won't ring through and they won't override it even if it meets everything on the coupon and is on the approved list.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #49
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow... So sorry you had such a bad experience, momma! I've never had any horribly rude cashiers/store clerks with wic, but I've definitely had other customers make nasty comments to me/"near" me about it.

I love TRADES!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #50
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I am at the point where I missed my last WIC appt to get more checks and haven't gone back. Yes, it saves me tons of money, but the grocery store near me can be a hassle, our wegmans doesn't accept WIC and the store that I have NO hassle with (a global market) is a town over). Super frustrating.