Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
allisonrose
Registered Users
seller
seller

Length of labor and baby's position question?

I'm wondering about the length of labor with well positioned babies vs malpositioned babies.

My first labor was induced, GBS+, water broke, weak contractions, and was about 14 hours from start of pit to birth. It was suspected although not confirmed that my second son was malpositioned (asynclitic) and I had about 24 hours of early labor and about 36 hours of active labor. In the last 3-4 hours, I was given pit (and IV pain meds).

I am planning for an all natural labor and delivery with my third and wonder if hoping for a <24 hour labor is reasonable....

Advertisement

allisonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
dani_p
Registered Users

Absolutely! I saw a chiro during my pregnancy to ensure a good position. I also did a ton of squats and labored in a squatting position. Start to finish, my labor was only 2 1/2 hours! Less than 24 is totally reasonable if you prepare yourself and your baby is in a good position.
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Length of labor and baby's position question?

My first baby was posterior and active labor was 10 hours. My second was anterior and active labor was about 4 hours. The pain was actually MORE intense with DS2 for some reason, but I did a better job coping. HTH

ETA: DS1 turned right before I pushed, so pushing was a breeze. About 10-15 minutes of pushing. DS2 came out under a minute after breaking my water.

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 12-05-2012 at 04:25 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

what they said.

i had two all natural births...my second was malpositioned and my labor was around 18 hrs and pushing stage was 4 hrs. my first properly positioned baby's entire labor was 5 hours, with a half hr pushing time.

i completely agree that a shorter labor can be much more intense. that was my experience...i think the power of the contractions pushing the baby down and out carries so much more force and i had less time for my endorphins to kick in (vs. the long labor where i was laughing hysterically at one point like i was high!) and probably more adrenaline.

i didnt see a chiro in the last few months of my last pregnancy, which i will this time. there are also many books on positioning and even some homeopathics that are supposed to help.

another thing, my new midwives told me that i have a roomy pelvis, and therefore can either have bullet babies that shoot right out, or babies that sneak into the wrong position because they have the space to. i had never heard this before, but it makes sense. im just going to try to do all the right things this time and hope for the best! luck to you also...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

double post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

#1 started posterior and flipped during transition. 14 hours from SROM to birth. 25 minutes of pushing.

#2 was anterior. 12 hours from start to finish. Out in 2 pushes.

#3 was transverse and turned with some chiro help a few weeks before labor started. Anterior at the onset of labor. 2 hours from start to finish. INTENSE! Out in 2 pushes.

#4 was posterior and never turned. 3h10m from SROM to birth. Hardest birth by far. Out in 2 pushes.

So I've had 2 posterior (both of my boys) that went 14 and 3 hours and two anterior (both of my girls) that went 12 and 2. No rhyme or reason over here!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
allisonrose
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet View Post
another thing, my new midwives told me that i have a roomy pelvis, and therefore can either have bullet babies that shoot right out, or babies that sneak into the wrong position because they have the space to. i had never heard this before, but it makes sense. im just going to try to do all the right things this time and hope for the best! luck to you also...
Hmm, that is interesting. The midwife who delivered my first son said something about there being plenty of room in my pelvis (I forget how she worded it).

Talk about intense: with my second, I dialated to a 9, closed to 5-6 and then had to go through a whole bunch of crazy contractions to push out my son. I think I can handle intense; I just can't handle a crazy, intense labor for days!

Last edited by allisonrose; 12-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD1 never engaged until they broke my water. My labor from first contraction to birth with her was 12 hours, but I was progressing painfully slowly despite [you name it I tried it] until they broke my water. Then I progressed nicely, and pushed for 20 minutes. (She was my one and only all natural birth).

DD2, I was in labor for TWO DAYS! That's right, I have having all-out hands and knees vocalizing horrible contractions with her for two straight days, but they would NOT regulate or get closer than 6 minutes apart. Well, after that awful 48 hours, they finally did after I laid down for bed. I got to the hospital at a 6-7, got the epi (oh, blessed heaven), and had her out within 3 hours of arriving at the hospital. We discovered she was turned slightly to one side.

If that happens again, I'm not toughing it out! I'm marching in and saying "get this thing MOVING NOW!" I literally hadn't slept for 48 hours going into the birth, and while the birth experience itself was lovely, the pure exhaustion was UGLY.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
allisonrose
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
If that happens again, I'm not toughing it out! I'm marching in and saying "get this thing MOVING NOW!" I literally hadn't slept for 48 hours going into the birth, and while the birth experience itself was lovely, the pure exhaustion was UGLY.
I am 99% sure I am going to have this baby in a free standing birth center: no pit, no pain meds. The choice will be tough it out or transfer to the hospital.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of mine were head down and engaged when labor started. I had chiro care with #2. My first labor was 16 hours, 45 minutes of pushing. Second was 12 hours and 10 minutes of pushing.

ETA: I was progressing, albeit slowly, until my water broke at about 7cm with both. Then all hell broke loose and they were out in 1-2hrs.

Last edited by jackyl08; 12-06-2012 at 10:50 AM.
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote