Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rant about target baby clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I never go by the sizes on the tags for anything I buy b/c I never find it to be consistent.

Example - I have 2 or 3 Faded Glory (yea, I know, not name brand) onesies that are sz 18 mos that fit my 20 mo old. I have a few Faded Glory onesies that are 24 mo that fit her the exact same. And then I have a handful that are sz 24 mo that are GIGANTIC - probably won't fit her till she is closer to 3 y/o.

I have never found consistent sizing in kid's clothes. Of course, I'm shopping Wal Mart and Target, and then we have hand-me-downs for the rest. It is possible some of the higher end, more expensive brands don't have this issue. I dunno.

I always buy a size up for this reason. I can always add a stitch to the waist and take it in, or hem up some pants, or roll up some sleeves. (then you just cut the stitch as they get bigger! - saves $$) But it's a serious PITB to try to make too-small clothes fit right.

Then again, I'm a tight wad, so don't listen to me. :P
I really wish I could do this. I really can't. I'm not at all crafty. (My poor kids. ) I can roll sleeves and roll pants, but I can't sew anything other than a button. I always try to get pants that are adjustable at the waist. I do purposely buy anything I can big though (basically anything except pants). That way they can wear it two years if it lasts that long. Target clothes doesn't usually for our kids.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
eileprose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
OP, is this your first girl? I find that girls clothing runs much different than boys clothing. Personally I take all sizing with a grain of salt. It seems like one stores 12m is another stores 3t. It's crazy. I do the eyeball test. As in "Ah...I think that will be about right, by the time it shrinks a bit."
Yes, after 2 boys I got a girl. My boys always had the same shirt in 4 colors and stuff like that. But not my little girl. I have been exploring fashion! Lol lord help me and my wallet.

The thing in when I brought the clothes home they looked HUGE. My husband didn't even think that they would fit yet. It's not a huge loss and it's a learning experience I guess. I go back and forth between spending clearance or less on her clothes and going crazy. My mom gets rewards for old navy with her credit card. I got her 3-6 month wardrobe for less that $15 actual cash. But when tea collection was on sale I over bought. But they don't fit her yet. I bought 6-12 month size and they are still a bit big for daily wear.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
eileprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
eileprose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
I never go by the sizes on the tags for anything I buy b/c I never find it to be consistent.

Example - I have 2 or 3 Faded Glory (yea, I know, not name brand) onesies that are sz 18 mos that fit my 20 mo old. I have a few Faded Glory onesies that are 24 mo that fit her the exact same. And then I have a handful that are sz 24 mo that are GIGANTIC - probably won't fit her till she is closer to 3 y/o.

I have never found consistent sizing in kid's clothes. Of course, I'm shopping Wal Mart and Target, and then we have hand-me-downs for the rest. It is possible some of the higher end, more expensive brands don't have this issue. I dunno.

I always buy a size up for this reason. I can always add a stitch to the waist and take it in, or hem up some pants, or roll up some sleeves. (then you just cut the stitch as they get bigger! - saves $$) But it's a serious PITB to try to make too-small clothes fit right.

Then again, I'm a tight wad, so don't listen to me. :P
I size up with my boys. I buy quality and I buy it big. They have a school dress code of tan or black pants and red, white or black polos. I mostly buy lands end and hem them or take in the waist. Usually we go through a whole year with one buy and my younger son wears what my big one grew out of. Although this might change because suddenly my 12 year old needs the hips of a husky and the almost 9 year old might not.

eileprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileprose View Post
I size up with my boys. I buy quality and I buy it big. They have a school dress code of tan or black pants and red, white or black polos. I mostly buy lands end and hem them or take in the waist. Usually we go through a whole year with one buy and my younger son wears what my big one grew out of. Although this might change because suddenly my 12 year old needs the hips of a husky and the almost 9 year old might not.

Yup I am seeing the sense in this now that I have 2 daughters, and will have 2 sons soon.

Previously, I never had kids who took my other kid's hand-me-downs. So buying expensive clothes didn't make sense.

Now I can see the value. Although we still get a TON of stuff from friends as hand-me-downs, so most of my kid's wardrobe is already taken care of and I just try to work with what we have, rather than buy if I can avoid it.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've always had great luck with Circo brand Target clothes for our girls. It's been one of our favorite brands from NB - 4T (along with baby/kids Gap). I think old Navy runs big & have always had quality issues with them from premature fading, odd uneven shrinkage, and fabrics just falling apart.

Aside from fleece footsie sleepers & pjs i'm not much of a Carter's fan, but for us their sizes have always matched up with Target's & baby Gap sizing. We do practically all of our litte girl shopping @ Target & Gap.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree, Circo does run small. My 7 year old who is 58 lbs has to wear a 10/12, she normally wears a 8/9 Gymboree because of her height.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #27
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Katherine* View Post
Oddly enough, I bought my DS a onesie and pants from target (circo brand) and the pants were HUGE! They were newborn sized he can just now wear the pants and he is just now fitting into 0-3 month clothing
I have this problem with circo on both my DD and my boys. And the belly area is huge on circo stuff. I stick with gap, TCP and gymboree for the kids now. Way better quality and I get it for the same price and it fits better.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638 View Post
I have this problem with circo on both my DD and my boys. And the belly area is huge on circo stuff. I stick with gap, TCP and gymboree for the kids now. Way better quality and I get it for the same price and it fits better.
I am SO happy to see someone else say this!

My kids are skinny but have long torso's. So the Circo stuff works for us b/c of the length. But then, my DD looks like she's wearing a tunic. So I typically get a size bigger so she can actually wear it AS a tunic. B/c otherwise she just looks like a mushroom.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #29
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Target Circo brand has always run a size smaller for us. So if people ask for my kids size and I know they like to shop at Target, I tell them one isze bigger than if they were to get Clothes from stores like Carter's or Crazy8.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
MrsFishyMarineWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love circo. I've never had any problem with anything I've bought from them and I've bought a lot. Most of his clothes right now are baby gap but I have a lot of circo in 3t and they fit the same.

I hate old navy.

DH is HOME from Afghan!
MrsFishyMarineWife is offline   Reply With Quote