Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Christmas gift advice! 3yo changed his mind *Update in OP*

Update!

Well, the drums got set up last night (with DD's guitar) and were waiting for them this morning. HUGE HIT! Turns out, he really does still love the drums and he never once asked about a green guitar. Whew!

However. The Bitty Twin boy was a huge flop. He totally rejected it! Opened it up and promptly said "Oh this is Aubrey's" and started to move on. Then I told him to wait and look at it and I said it was for him. He finished unwrapping it and got a better look and said "But I don't want a baby anymore!" and moved it over to DD's pile. I guess I'm not regretting buying it because A) DD absolutely loves hers, b) I didn't want to risk him feeling left out of their original plan and C) it's cheaper to buy a pair from AG and sell the unwanted twin than to buy them separately - which I would have done if I had known beyond a doubt he didn't want one to save myself time/energy of selling the boy.

I'm still pretty bummed out that he rejected a gift. I've never had a child be anything but happy and excited for presents, but I guess he DID tell me he wasn't interested several times. So to be fair, I was warned. (BTW, when I had asked him about his list, there were a couple of times that he said something like "I don't want a baby boy, I want a green flashlight." so I figured he thought it was one or the other. When I asked him if he wanted both (baby/flashlight) he would say "Oh, yeah!")

----------------------------------------

If your 3yo changed his/her mind right now on what they want most for Christmas, do you return what is already bought and get the new wants? Or keep what they originally asked for and wanted for sooooo long??

For a YEAR now (since last Christmas), my son and daughter have begged us for the American Girl Bitty Twin set. DD wanted the girl, DS2 the boy. They picked out the hair colors and have said this repeatedly for a year. I told DH that since they were STILL asking for them, I would make it happen.

They are also very big into music. Since the age of 1, they've played toy guitars and we've slowly upgraded them over the years into better ones. Well last year, DH took our son into a music store and he fell in LOVE with drums. Last Christmas, we got him a cheapy toy drum set and he was obsessed with them. We upgraded it to a nicer set ($20 score on CL) and he played on that until the cymbal broke and we put it away. But DH bought him a nicer drum set for this year, and DD got a new guitar (pink one she kept begging for).

Well, DD is still asking for the same things. But DS2 has decided he doesn't want a baby boy and he doesn't want drums. He only wants a green guitar and a flashlight. Both the drums and baby boy are things he's asked for or showed interest in for a very long time, so I don't know if we should jump ship on them and get a guitar like DD's or stick with the original plan.

BTW, these were their big/main gifts, so it's kind of a big deal!

WWYD?

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 12-25-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could you return the pink guitar and get a plain wood colored one and still give to DD but they would share as time went on? Unless he doesn't care about pink but asking for green it might be easier if they guitar was just a traditional color.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Christmas gift advice! 3yo changed his mind

I'd keep what you've got since it's somewhat similar to what he's now asking for, and would try to find a small flashlight (dollar store maybe, or I saw small 2 pack LED ones at target last night for around $4) and put it in his stocking.

They're newly 3, you can change their mind back, LOL, every time he mentions the new stuff say something like "yeah that would be cool and you know what would be awesome? a drum set, and a baby!! Any of those gifts would be so great! What a fun Christmas"

My kids do this EVERY Christmas. They make a list, I shop then in December they're trying to add new stuff. I don't exchange, and Christmas morning ends up being the "BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!" with no mention of the new stuff they thought they wanted.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene

Last edited by sojomisa; 12-07-2012 at 10:39 AM.
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Mmmmmm at 3....idk. If their bday was close then Id stick with what I had already gotten for xmas. If not, Im not completely sure what I'd do. I guess it would depend on if I had the time, $$, and energy to replace it. More then likely though Id probably just stick with what I had since he's been asking for it for so long.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
venia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally would stick to the plan (and maybe add a flashlight since its small). DD has changed her Christmas list so many times it makes my head spin.

BTW: New American Bitty twins do sell quite well as singles on Ebay (from experience as a buyer!)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Yes, luckily I'm still buying stocking stuffers, so finding a cheap flashlight shouldn't be too hard. It all started when he went with DH to Walmart to pick up oil filters and the cashier asked DH if he wanted some flashlights on sale 2/$5. Well, DS2 must have overheard him because he's been talking about flashlights for days now. And we went for a playdate at our friends' house and their kids have a small flashlight, so he promptly found that and carried it around with him. I think Santa will come through. Though DS2 says "green flashlight" he might just get whatever color Santa can come up with if green cannot be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
Could you return the pink guitar and get a plain wood colored one and still give to DD but they would share as time went on? Unless he doesn't care about pink but asking for green it might be easier if they guitar was just a traditional color.
Well, the guitar is an actual guitar though, not a toy. We bought it for her, knowing and intending it to be one she would be able to grow into. And she has been specifically asking for a pink guitar for a couple of years now. They do have a wood acoustic guitar now that they share, so he won't be out a guitar if they both want to play at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa View Post
I'd keep what you've got since it's somewhat similar to what he's now asking for, and would try to find a small flashlight (dollar store maybe, or I saw small 2 pack LED ones at target last night for around $4) and put it in his stocking.

They're newly 3, you can change their mind back, LOL, every time he mentions the new stuff say something like "yeah that would be cool and you know what would be awesome? a drum set, and a baby!! Any of those gifts would be so great! What a fun Christmas"

My kids do this EVERY Christmas. They make a list, I shop then in December they're trying to add new stuff. I don't exchange, and Christmas morning ends up being the "BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!" with no mention of the new stuff they thought they wanted.
I think this is the approach we'll use. I've never had a kiddo change their mind before, but I think that would work. He JUST turned 3 in October, so I think he's still young enough that the excitement of Christmas will just overwhelm him and he'll be super excited anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
Mmmmmm at 3....idk. If their bday was close then Id stick with what I had already gotten for xmas. If not, Im not completely sure what I'd do. I guess it would depend on if I had the time, $$, and energy to replace it. More then likely though Id probably just stick with what I had since he's been asking for it for so long.
This is what DH said, so I think we'll stick with the gifts we originally planned and roll with it. It would be strange for him to just all of a sudden not want anything to do with them since he's been into them and wanting them for so long anyway, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venia View Post
I personally would stick to the plan (and maybe add a flashlight since its small). DD has changed her Christmas list so many times it makes my head spin.

BTW: New American Bitty twins do sell quite well as singles on Ebay (from experience as a buyer!)
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it was easy to return I would consider it because boys can grow out of baby dolls/stage quickly. I would probably keep the drums because those will most likely still be played with.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post
If it was easy to return I would consider it because boys can grow out of baby dolls/stage quickly. I would probably keep the drums because those will most likely still be played with.
Buy a stroke of luck, I had decided to wait and order the Bitty Twin dolls this weekend and now AG has a free shipping deal going on through Sunday. So I haven't actually bought the twins yet, but have plans to do that tonight/tomorrow. I DO have an 18" doll down in storage, waiting for DD's bday next year that I could just give her and skip on the twins, but she's still very much into the babies and I'd like to ride this train out as long as she is still interested. Plus, all of the clothes she has for her current Bitty Baby would fit the twin. And the 18" doll has very high-maintenance hair, so I figured an extra year might be best for her.

My biggest concern is that if I just got her the girl twin and didn't get DS2 the boy twin,he will suddenly remember how much he wanted him to begin with and be sad that she got hers and he didn't have his. Heck, they already named them Sue and John long, long ago! LOL! So if Sue comes home without John...I'm not sure how that will go over.

The more I think about it, the more I think the safest thing to do is stick to the original plans and sell the boy on Ebay/CL if he doesn't truly want him. And the drums can always be returned to the music store if he absolutely doesn't want them, but we both think he will change his mind when they're set up and he's playing on them. His other two drum sets were played with near daily, so I can't imagine he wouldn't be interested in the big, nice set he first played with at the music store.

It'll all work out. I think he'll be excited and I still have a couple of weeks to talk up the wish list with him.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
mom22sofar
Registered Users
seller
seller

we steer our kids wish lists pretty much every year, and the older two are 7 and 9 now. DS wanted a nintendo 3DS pretty hard core, but we were more interested in getting him an ipod (cheaper apps, more uses as he gets older, found a great deal etc.) so dh took him off to walmart where they casually looked at the 3ds, but then (insert music here) he showed him the ipod, wow, look at how cool this thing is, etc. 10 minutes later, 3ds long forgotten.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Is keep it....he probably saw an ad or the toy somehwere so its on his mind.