Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
reloadable gas cards/visa's

This is my first time looking into these any help would be appreciated. In hopes of actually sticking to my gas budget I want to get prepaid/reloadable something. All the cards I see in Walmart have a $5 activation fee- which is fine, but I don't want to pay the monthly fee for not having $1000 balance on it. Any cards that are reloadable with out a monthly fee or a reloading fee? Does anyone know if you can use a Walmart gift card at the pay at the pump or do you have to go inside? I don't have a gas station loyalty but if its something for a specific gas station Exon is the closet to me. We don't want an actual credit card only prepaid stuff.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Re: reloadable gas cards/visa's

look at drugstore sales papers because they often have deals where you get the card and pay the activation fee, but then the fee is credited to your card a few days later. sometimes you see this sort of deal online. You just have to look around for it. Most I have seen don't have a monthly fee. Have you thought about a Serve account? It's kinda like paypal. You get an american express card, but it's not a credit card. You load money to it from your bank account, a credit card, or a money pac card. There are no monthly or annual fees and some of the ways of loading the card are free. www.serve.com
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never heard of a serve card. I'll take a look.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I've had one for over a year, from when they first launched. They are suppose to be a competitor of paypal because you can send money from one account to another like you can iwth paypal
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't have any Exxons around, so I don't know if they have a deal like this, but our Country Fair sells regular gift cards, and if you use them for gas you get $0.05 off a gallon (or $0.10 if they are running a special like right now). I always buy a gift card and use that to pay for my gas.

Even without the deal, a gift card like that might help you stick to your budget if you just load it with a set amount every month. There are no fees involved.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
TravsQueenie
Registered Users
seller

If your Wal-Mart has a gas station, you can use a Wal-Mart gift card and pay at the pump. You usually get $0.05 off per gallon by using the gift card. No tranaction or loading fees.
TravsQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought the visa gift cards from Kroger (to get the 4X fuel points). The problem is that if you don't use the whole amount in one trip to the gas station, they put a hold on the rest of the money on the card until the transaction goes through, which can take up to 10 days. So I had gift cards with money on them that I couldn't access because of the hold put on them by the gas station. I did buy a $100 card because that was my gas budget for 3 weeks (I could have bought several smaller cards), but it was a pain not knowing when the money would be free to use again.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

We always just get gift cards from the gas stations we frequent. Two quarters of the year our credit card (Chase) gives 5% cash back at gas stations, so when we have the funds to swing it, we buy 3 months worth of gas station gift cards and then use them up in the off-quarters. The only thing I don't like about doing that is it takes away some flexibility as to where you purchase gas (so if you see a good deal while out and about, you either have to pass it up to use your gift card at the chain you purchased it from or spend money outside that already budgeted).
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravsQueenie View Post
If your Wal-Mart has a gas station, you can use a Wal-Mart gift card and pay at the pump. You usually get $0.05 off per gallon by using the gift card. No tranaction or loading fees.
This. I personally don't do this but my friend does. I would but Walmart is all the way across town from me. I go to a closer gas station and they have a program called pumps perks with our local IGA where certain food items earn you cents of your gas purchase. One time I stocked up on gerber graduates for babysitters house and ended up saving 70 cents a gallon.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

we do winn dixie fuel perks for shell. we've saved a ton this way.