Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD (2.5) has started bopping between our bed (where she's slept 99% of her life) and the guest room bed. If we try to put her to bed in the guest room, she refuses, but if we leave her in our bedroom at bedtime, she skibbles down the hall and goes to sleep on the guest bed.

She also has her own bed in her own room but shows no interest in using it. We generally lug her back to our bed when we turn in because if she wakes in the guest room alone, she wanders the house looking for us in the dark.

I'm not sure what her behavior means - is she ready for her own bed? Does she prefer the other mattress, or maybe the height of the bed? Does she just want to make her own choice and exercise her toddler authority?

Advertisement

Last edited by Leiiki; 12-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Leiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Fun new sleep challenge - ideas?

I read somewhere that 2-5 is the most common age for co-sleeping. My DD1 (3) often wanders into our bed in the middle of the night at various times despite the fact she's been sleeping in her own since 6 months old. How far is the guest room? Could you gate the hallway off so she can't get too far, and can only come back to you? I'd personally just roll with it unless you want to train to sleep in one bed particularly.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really have no advise. I have never understood my kids sleep prefrences. Just when we settle into a good rountine with everyone in their own beds something happens and the process starts all over again. We play musical beds at our house on occasion. I have come to the decission that I dont' care where everyone sleeps as long as they do and I get to sleep. 90% of the time the boys stay in their beds.

DS2 right now is going trough a phase where he really wants Daddy. DH doesnt get home till 9:30 or so. DS2 takes a long nap during the day and then they snuggle on the chair when he gets home from work. That is where DS2 falls asleep. I/DH then carry him to bed. Occasinally one or both boys ends up in bed with me. DH sleeps on the couch most nights. He stays up later because of his work schedule. Occasionally DS2 will wonder out to the living room and sleep on the chair.

One morning I left for work and DS1 was in my bed, DS2 was on the chair in the living room and DH was in the bottom bunk in the boys room. I just laughed and went to work.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I read somewhere that 2-5 is the most common age for co-sleeping. My DD1 (3) often wanders into our bed in the middle of the night at various times despite the fact she's been sleeping in her own since 6 months old. How far is the guest room? Could you gate the hallway off so she can't get too far, and can only come back to you? I'd personally just roll with it unless you want to train to sleep in one bed particularly.
That makes a lot of sense. Both boys were great sleepers in their own beds from birth till they turned 2 and then all bets were off.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We aren't particularly concerned about her continuing to cosleep - we're all comfortable after almost 30 months in a family bed, and we have a King so even with the newbie I doubt we'll be too snug. I just don't know why she keeps going to the guest room to sleep alone if she still wants to sleep with us?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe she's just testing out her independence? It would make sense and she knows she can always lay down with you again.