Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you help kids purge without the meltdown tears?

If it is a big deal to your children I wouldn't push it too much. I do view my children's things as being theirs, not mine to do with as I want.

When I toss something of mine I include my kids & ask them if they have anything they need to get rid of. Example: hey, I noticed I need to throw away this broken ink pen and a frying pan I always thought was crummy - do you have anything we should add in? what about xxx, it looked broken last time I saw it.

Could you suggest buying one new toy in exchange of them letting go of x amount of toys they've outgrown? Or just having a if it's broken, stained, damaged we toss it rule? Large scale decluttering could be really stressful for some & I avoid doing it with other peoples stuff. I do love large scale organizing of my kids stuff, but that's a different story

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Thx. I think maybe we're at a place with the kids toys that we have purged what we can. And you are SO right it is their stuff. Thanks. I think I needed to remind myself that its ok. I feel better knowing that I can rotate what's left.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My babe is 1, so purging is easy. But I would like to include her as she gets older. I like the suggestion of having them choose a toy to keep. She isn't super attached to any particular doll or stuffed animal, rather she has a general attachment to any she's ever touched. So I think it's going to be hard for her to part with those sorts of things.

I also like the idea of modeling the purging - explaining why you're getting rid of something and hope that rubs off. And suggesting why they may want to part with something too. Great idea! Reminding them that you're passing on toys to someone who might not have many toys, and making it easier to clean up theirs. These are all great ideas!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest is 6. We used to have this problem with her freaking out when I tell her she needs to get rid of stuff to make room for "new" stuff. I don't have this problem anymore. I talk to her about kids who do not have toys. She is rly easy going and it was such an easy talk with her. I showed her Salvation Army and what they do, and she was so willing to help, she was getting rid of things *I* was telling her to keep! LOL. She even helps me unload the car when we drop off at the donation center.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

I let them help me at first. So I'll tell them that there is getting to be too many toys and it's too hard for them to pick up. Plus we need to make room for Christmas toys. I tell them to pick out toys that are broken or that they don't play with much and put them in the box. They don't have a problem doing that, except that they do not get rid of enough things on their own. So, after they've gone to bed I go ahead and clean out all the stuff *I* know they never play with. Some of it I keep in a box in the garage to rotate back in later if I know it's something that they like but have just grown tired of for now. Most of it I get rid of. They never complain or even notice.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good news! Our stuffie purge didn't go nearly as bad as I thought it would! I talked to DD about donating and explained that I donated a lot of my things. She went through and picked out some of her favorite stuffies to keep. I gave her choices when she multiples such as care bears, pillow pets, etc. We are down to about 20 stuffed animals but they are definitely manageable.

Surprisingly DD said I could get rid of her doll house. I was shocked. She really never does play with it so I am okay with it plus I can make some $ off of it!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Wow. I think we underestimate our kids.

DD chose to donate a purse I thought it was super cute and thought she'd want it but she said get rid if it.
Join me on Swagbucks

Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

I just make getting rid of things as natural as getting new things. Once every couple of weeks, I say "guys, we're going to Goodwill! Does anyone have anything they want to donate?" We've talked about the fact that many children do not have nice things to play with, so it is second nature for them to give their unwanted things away. If one of them isn't in the mood one time, then that is okay. Usually though, I find that modeling the behavior I ant to see is enough of a motivator. When one child finds something to donate, then the other one is looking around so s/he can contribute too.

I also think it's important to not have attachment to their toys. For awhile, it was tough for ME to let go of their toys. I buy them so it's hard to pass some expensive toy on to someone else when your child has barely touched it. BUT, you just have to listen to the,. You can't guilt your kids into keeping things because that isn't making them any more likely to play with those toys- it's just keeping useless junk around that someone else could enjoy and instead is taking up valuable space in YOUR house. Let it all go!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawheid View Post
Wow. I think we underestimate our kids.

DD chose to donate a purse I thought it was super cute and thought she'd want it but she said get rid if it.
Yep..I think we do. Sometimes it may just be a bad time for them. Other times they may be totally into it!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

I like the thought of asking every time we head to the thrift store. Thx
Join me on Swagbucks