Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

Re: For those of you on progesterone injections....

For those of you on the progesterone injections.... DO THEY HURT???? My Dr. wants me to start taking them this pregnancy around 16 weeks because of preterm labor with my first and third. I want to know how bad they hurt and how bad are the side effects? If they hurt is it the medicine or just the deep muscle injection? Also, I read that it is the same med they used in the 70's called Delautin? that caused infant death and birth defects? Has anyone else heard this? I plan to ask my Dr. about it on the 21st at my next appointment.

Advertisement

tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am now on my 4th pregnancy as a result of IVF. As was pointed out your on daily PIO injections with IVF. Actually for 2 of my pregnancies (not this one or the last one) I was on twice daily injections. The injections themselves don't hurt if your partner does them correctly. The biggest trick is to see the bum as a target and put the needle in like a dart into a dart board. Depending on how long your needles are you also need to trust your partner to not wiggle the needle around. Small motions on the outside, are big on the inside.

I am not sure about the Delalautin. I have never heard it called that before (at least what I take). What I take is mixed at a compounding pharmacy. It is progesterone mixed with a oil (I have had olive oil and Ethyl Oleate)
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytushi View Post
For those of you on the progesterone injections.... DO THEY HURT???? My Dr. wants me to start taking them this pregnancy around 16 weeks because of preterm labor with my first and third. I want to know how bad they hurt and how bad are the side effects? If they hurt is it the medicine or just the deep muscle injection? Also, I read that it is the same med they used in the 70's called Delautin? that caused infant death and birth defects? Has anyone else heard this? I plan to ask my Dr. about it on the 21st at my next appointment.
Yes, they hurt a little. But if you had the steroid injections with either one of your babies, the progesterone shots don't hurt NEARLY as badly as the steroid ones did. The daily ones as well as the weekly ones are carried in oil, so the needle has to be bigger than for a "regular" injection since the fluid is so thick. Having whoever administers it push the fluid in slowly, and then giving the site a good rub afterwards, usually helped to lessen the lingering soreness.

As for side effects, nearly every time, I got a knot of varying sizes at the injection site nearly every time. In addition to that, I sometimes got itching and/or burning. The side effects lasted a few days, and one side of my butt was more susceptible to the side effects than the other. If I have another pregnancy, I think I am going to do the shots in a R-R-L-R-R-L pattern instead of alternating sides each time.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytushi View Post
The one I'll begin getting at 16 weeks and getting weekly through 37 weeks is called "Makena" -- and it's not a shot I'll be doing or have hubby doing... I have to go to my OB's office weekly and they will inject it for me.
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am almost done with my weekly injections. I was scared at first but they are not bad at all IMO. The site is tender the day of but I haven't had one of the side effects I have read about other than a few really emotional days. The weekly injections from16/18-36 weeks are called the OHP 17 shots.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote