Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Re: Elastic Repair Worth the $$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
$5 per diaper seems really steep to me. The most it will cost per diaper is about .50 in elastic and her time (which is of course what you are paying her for). I could see $1 even $2 but I bet you could find newer used diapers on the FSOT/craigslist for about the same price especially if you bought in a lot. I just don't see how it would be worth it in the end.
How much time do you think it would take her to replace elastic? About 20-30 min right? So she is charging $8-10/hour
Do you think it is a fair wage?

To the OP: as pp said, if diapers are in a good condition $5 for a diaper would be totally fine for me.
That said, organic cotton doesn't seem to be very durable and tend to wear off and develop holes quite quick. Example: organic BGE.
So as pp said, see how the diapers look.

Advertisement

olstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
acope3374
Registered Users
seller

They are in pretty good condition but I do not know their age or usage. Snaps are good. I see a small hole in one.

The person I asked about repairs did offer a discount (20% off) for repairs on more than 8. I do have a few more and random others so it'd be more like $4/each.

Here's what they look like:

Does anyone have experience with these fitteds? I've used MotherEase, KL and S'bish fitteds. ME are kind of thin too.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVeryBest View Post
How much time do you think it would take her to replace elastic? About 20-30 min right? So she is charging $8-10/hour
Do you think it is a fair wage?

To the OP: as pp said, if diapers are in a good condition $5 for a diaper would be totally fine for me.
That said, organic cotton doesn't seem to be very durable and tend to wear off and develop holes quite quick. Example: organic BGE.
So as pp said, see how the diapers look.
It really depends how long it takes on what kind of diaper it is. I replace elastic as well as make my own diapers and it has never taken 20 mins to do elastic repair on any one diaper. I wasn't saying it wasn't a fair wage but for me to spend an extra $5 per used diaper (that you won't get back when/if you resale) just doesn't make sense to me. Between the op being the second owner and the diapers being OC ,I wouldn't spend the extra money. If they were newer it might be worth it to me.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
acope3374
Registered Users
seller

Also to add... My babe is 15 lbs. and the diapers fit to ~ 21 lbs.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Superblonde Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I paid $3 a diaper to have the elastic replaced in some Fuzzi Bunz. It was worth it. I agree - $5 is not too much, especially if you like/love the dipes.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acope3374 View Post
Also to add... My babe is 15 lbs. and the diapers fit to ~ 21 lbs.
Since he only has 6 pounds left in the range (but obviously every diaper fits every baby differently) could you fold the rise down and snappi them like contours or megaroos? That is the cheapest solution and they will fit longer too.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Or what about this : a one sized organic fitted for $9. That is only $4 more per diaper and it is new. http://ecobabyorganicsusa.com/index....roducts_id=326
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i wouldnt pay that much, especially being that she is local. I see all the time elastic repairs for $1-2, yes you pay shipping, but they arent making money from your shipping so it should still be $1-2 for someone local. Also elastic is super cheap, i got yards and yards of it for like $3 at walmart(or meijer?). If she was fixing 2 doz dipes shed still probably have some of that $3 elastic left over.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

I have replaced elastic in lots of fitteds with complete success and I am a total sewing novice. There is a great youtube tutorial on replacing elastic in goodmama's.

Try it on one then decide what you would like to do, at least that is what I'd do!

elastic repair tutorial

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 12-08-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 AM   #20
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

These are the ecobaby organic cotton fitteds that we have and I love them

http://www.purerest.com/Everything-B...ap-in-doubler-

Yours look different, so maybe they're an older model or something. New they are $9, so I wouldn't spend $5 to repair them. Mine also seem to have really hard to get to, so I don't even know if/how the elastic is replaceable.

Mine are also really old, I got them a couple of years ago at a garage sale, and that family said they'd been in storage for several years. The elastic was completely shot, but actually I prefer it that way. They are huge on my 19m baby, and you can see daylight through there. So any time she has any sort of rash or redness, I make sure to wipe her well then stick her in an ecobaby (only for around the house). Nothing else, nothing but airflow with the shot elastic and she clears up fast. They are also really thin, so it's obvious when she's wet and she can get changed right away. Perfect for outside, and since they're beat up I don't care if she's digging in the dirt. NOT for naps or if you're anticipating poo. She has pooped in them several times and we only had a problem once when she napped in it and the poop worked it's way down the leg. These are my go-to diapers for the hot days of summer or for clearing up any rashes.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote