Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Registered Users
Flip versus gDiapers?

Right now we're using BG diapers, and I'd like to add to our stash to have a bit more time between laundry loads. I was thinking of going with Flip or gDiapers so we have the option for a disposable liner for travel and long days out. Wondered if anyone can share their experiences! We'd mostly use these for cloth inserts, disposable would be the exception not the rule.

terri_to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Flip versus gDiapers?

I preferred Flips, but my DD did really well in gdiapers because they're more breathable. If you don't have issues with PUL I'd go for Flips, Gro-Via, or Capris. They all work with gdiaper disposable inserts or padfolded flats or prefolds. HTH!
SAHM, homeschooling mama to 5 crazy munchkins.
MomBecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Registered Users

Definitely flips, especially for the price! Flips are 13.95 and one-sized and gdiapers are 19.99 min (some colors are more) and are sized. Granted your child stays in a size for a while but I think flips are a better value and hold up better. But gdiapers may fit better on a small baby, and if you can get gdiapers for cheap on here I would go for it because they are pretty stinkin' cute. All that aside, functionality is about the same. Like pp said, Gdiaper inserts or a prefold can be used for either.

I don't have any grovia shells, but I do have a grovia AIO and it is definitely a better fit on a thinner baby than my bumgenius/flips are. They are one-size but I don't know how big they'd really go because they are really trim.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Registered Users

Hmm... I didn't like gpants at all, and I hated the Flip disposable inserts. When we used a hybrid system for traveling, I liked g-inserts in Thirsties covers.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
I would go with Flips, especially at the sale price! I have read very few good things about g-diapers so I have never felt compelled to try them. Most of the mamas that like them don't seem to like anything else that is more mainstream (just my observation, this isn't completely true across the board). I

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Registered Users

Another vote for Flips.
Jen, married to DH mama to DD 01.22.12
greencrunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

As others have mentioned you can use the disposable inserts in other covers. I used the gdiapers in small and medium. They work pretty good but they do have a bit of a learning curve. I used them with cloth but they can be limiting with cloth to get a good fit. I did like that you could reuse the cover more times because if poo when off the insert it just got on the white liner.

Once we got to larges I didn't buy more covers but we still got the disposable inserts and used them in our bummis covers. We used disposables for long/plane travel and camping.

From what I understand the flip cover is just a cover, like any other diaper cover. I'm sure it's a fine cover but no reason to be locked into it. I did try out the flip inserts a few times. They were alot narrower than the gdiaper ones. I still preferred the gs.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:
Flips! The price is so much better especially right now and I love flips.
Married since 08
Became parents 6.13.12
And again 3.24.14
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner

Flips are way better. We started out with gDiapers and did NOT like them.
Hilary, head over heels wifey of a Coastie
Mama of Aubrey & Delaney
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Registered Users

I thought gdiapers were just okay. As long as you get the fit right, they work really well, but the fit is very particular. I think I'm in the minority in that I don't care for the Flip covers. For whatever reason, they just seem really cheap to me...particularly the leg elastic. However, a lot of people LOVE them and have no problems. I'd recommend the Swaddlebee's Capri, which will fit disposable inserts. I love trifolding with my Capri.
sunlightmlp is offline   Reply With Quote